Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Music Discussion thread
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74
RE: Music Discussion thread

Found this song yesterday. I'm usually more into jazz and grunge/indie rock, but this song just spoke to me. The best part is around 1:36.

I'm being sarcastic

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
07-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(07-25-2013, 11:53 PM)Kman Wrote: i don't understand you people

i dunno what the fun in listening to music is if you get no variety.

There can be plenty of variety in a single piece. And it's often layered, so you discover more every time you listen. I don't know, maybe our music works differently. Tongue And your stuff seems to be like 3-5 minutes long on average, which is just way too short, in which case I agree with you btw.

(07-25-2013, 11:53 PM)Kman Wrote: even if it's the most well thought out piece of music ever in your mind that you're listening to after dozens and dozens of listens when you know every little detail of it i don't see how it can still be as appealing as the first ten times you listened to it or whatever.

that's why i only listen to my favorite albums like once or twice a month cause i know if i do it anymore then that they'll lose their magic, and so to stop that from happening i'll listen to some albums i really like or ones that i want to grow on me or i check out totally new bands in between listens

Well I don't know what's so bad about getting tired of a piece. I see it as a sign of "evolution", so to speak. There's always new music to discover. And your favorites are still your favorites even though you're not as thrilled by them as before - nobody denies sentimental value. I adore some pretty stupid music myself, lol.

Kman Wrote:yea but the music can "provide pleasure" in so many different ways than just sounding melodic and well thought out that i dunno why you would wanna just stick with that. i mean that has it's time and place of course but if i'm pissed the fuck off at someone or something really angry music is going to click with me way more and provide way more enjoyment than say like some random indie pop band (that's the reason why i still consider converge's jane doe to be one of the best albums ever recorded). your mood and emotions don't stay the same your entire life so i don't see why the music you listen to should, because you're going to be able to connect with certain artists and genres much much more depending on your mood. that's why i like it so much more than any other art form i guess, it can provide you with a sense of catharsis.

Okay, this I don't agree with at all. I think that if you gave it some consideration then you could agree with me that the issue of genre is one of language more than anything else.

Look at how two people with different musical tastes interact and you'd be surprised how similar it is to two people speaking different languages. They try to project the tropes they know onto each other, with little success of course. The "genre barrier" forces them resort to broad, universal constructs to communicate. And everyone feels misunderstood in the end.

What this comment of yours tells me is that you simply haven't looked into classical deeply enough. I'll have you know that there's more to it than "sounding melodic". There's also plenty of dissonance in classical music.

But in any case, I think enjoyment rarely comes from language itself, but the way it is used.

^(;,;)^
07-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Yes Neptune. For example Beethoven's 9th is about sex.... What? too soon?... I'll leave now.
07-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Website Find
TGST Offline

Threads: 2

It just comes to show that people can have really differing perceptions of the emotions conveyed through different pieces of music.

Frankly, the Chopin - Scherzo no. 2 op 31, doesn't sound at all angry to me. I find the piece rather amusing, perhaps because of the triads in the beginning. It sets the whole tone for me.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013, 10:08 PM by TGST.)
07-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(07-26-2013, 10:45 AM)Dogfood Wrote: /discuss

So many emotions are conveyed from watching this such video. It's good for everyone to laugh at.

[Image: luv.gif]
07-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(07-28-2013, 07:23 PM)TGST Wrote: It just comes to show that people can have really differing perceptions of the emotions conveyed through different pieces of music.

Frankly, the Chopin - Scherzo no. 2 op 31, doesn't sound at all angry to me. I find the piece rather amusing, perhaps because of the triads in the beginning. It sets the whole tone for me.
u r clerly not dark enuff

[Image: p229xcq]
07-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

On a different note: I've gotten into mewithoutYou.
07-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

mewithoutyou are col, check out neutral milk hotel and the mountain goats if you get a chance alias you'd dig them probably

Posting Freak
07-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Website Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(07-29-2013, 01:12 PM)Kman Wrote: mewithoutyou are col, check out neutral milk hotel and the mountain goats if you get a chance alias you'd dig them probably

Hey dude what was The Brave Little Abacus' genre? If it's Folk punk, I think I'm getting seeped in here.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
07-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(07-29-2013, 01:12 PM)Kman Wrote: mewithoutyou are col, check out neutral milk hotel and the mountain goats if you get a chance alias you'd dig them probably

Assuming I haven't heard Neutral Milk Hotel? Bold.
07-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Find