Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Model Editor Help My ******* Blender model. How do I export it?!?
X4anco Offline

Threads: 66
My ******* Blender model. How do I export it?!?

Hi everybody.

I've been working on a model for about 6 hours. 5 OF WHICH HAVE BEEN TRYING TO EXPORT IT! So as you can understand, I'm pretty fucking annoyed...

Here is my model in Blender:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/nv3udbp

Here is what it looks like when I export it and view it in the model viewer:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/qfwe2rk

Can somebody PLEASE give me a video tutorial that I can follow... I've been using this page to get this far:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...3d/blender

I can do the modelling, it's just the exporting. I have my model, I have used UV mapping. It started as 2 cubes and a plane. They're separate from each other, not combined.

- Thanks
08-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: My ******* Blender model. How do I export it?!?

Ah yes let me just copy paste this good old thing on blender export of mine:

1. Your model must be triangulated(converted to triangles) before you export it.
Hold CTRL + F while in edit mode to make a menu with options for faces appear and click on the triangulate option
2.before exporting your model must have a blender internal render type material(so no cycles) assigned to it,just leave it at default for the material settings or perhaps tone down the spec if it gets annoying while editting. REMEMBER: only one material per object or crash.
3.Before exporting you model it must have a texture assigned to it, with UV cordinates. so make sure to set it to UV cordinates under mapping in the texture tab. only one texture per object as well.
4. make sure your object is at the center when you export. you can do that by first holding SHIFT + S and clicking cursor to center, and then doing the same but clicking selection to cursor instead.
This step is not necesary but your objects pivot point/origin will be at the center when exported to amnesia so it can get hard to work with if you dont do this step.
5. Apply scale rotation and location of your object by going to the apply menu by holding down CTRL + A and rest is self explanatory. this step is not necesary but it will prevent you model from being rotated, scaled or offset in amnesia.
6.Make sure your face normals are right before exporting or you will have what looks like holes in yout object in amnesia. If you click N to bring forth the navigation menu you will find an option called "Backface Culling" under display, this will only render the front of your objects faces just like in amnesia.
To fix a face that is facing the wrong way select it in edit mode, hit W to bring up the specials menu and click "flip normals".

EXPORT:
1.Go to file -> Export -> Collada (Default) (.dae)
2. find the desired location to export your model to. it must be within the amnesia folder.
3.Name your model, it is recommended that give its name an extension iconic to your CS/Mod so amnesia doesent mess up if someone has a mod with another object under the same name. Fx if you had a CS/Mod called banana attack with a chair you would name it chair_ba.dae, rather then chair.dae which would likely be messed up with another chair.
4.Before exporting there is some settings in the lower left corner I would like to go through:

Apply modifiers: applies your modifiers automatically, though I recommend doing everything manually before exporting since you cant always rely on these automatic feutures.

Selection Only: makes it so that only your selected objects are exported, I always use this option but you can work without it if you delete everything but what you are exporting from your scene. I like to have some lights around though so I find that unpractical.

Include Children: dunno exacly what this does but in terms of amnesia exporting this should always be unchecked.

Inlclude armatures: this is for exporting rigged models with skeletons, which are called armatures in blender. as far as I know no one has been able to export animated models from any other software then maya so I dont think you will ever need this option checked.

Inlcude Shape Keys: amnesia does not support shape keys only skeletons so this should be unchecked. mostly its not necesary to uncheck it though since mostly you wont even have any shape keys on you model.

Only Active UV layer:this should be unchecked

Include UV textures: this option is lethal, it will write what textures your model is using into the collada file, if you dont use this check box amnesia will likely crash.

Include material textures: uncheck this, amnesia is only UV textures.

Copy: Whether you are going to use this or not depends on where your textures are stored. if you have texture from outside the Amnesia/redist folder assigned to your model when exporting you should check this option. it will copy your textures to the location you are exporting to. if you already have your textures in the right location leave this unchecked.

Deform bones only: uncheck this

Export for second life: uncheck this

Use object indtances: not exacly 100% sure about this option but I have allways had it checked with no problems at all.

Sort by object name: always had this unchecked, but I dont know if it means anything. you can try and see for yourself if you feel experimental.
08-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Find
X4anco Offline

When I export my model, I only have 2 options:
  • Export only selected
  • Export for Second Life

08-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(08-01-2013, 05:40 PM)X4anco Wrote: When I export my model, I only have 2 options:
  • Export only selected
  • Export for Second Life
are you using the newest version of blender?
EDIT: also please note that the steps before the actual export are the most important ones for the export to work
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2013, 05:52 PM by WALP.)
08-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Find
X4anco Offline

I'll download Blender again

I've got the settings now

Does is matter that my model is not one big polygone, but made of smaller pieces?

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2013, 06:04 PM by X4anco.)
08-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(08-01-2013, 05:54 PM)X4anco Wrote: I'll download Blender again

I've got the settings now

Does is matter that my model is not one big polygone, but made of smaller pieces?
should not mean anything
08-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Find
X4anco Offline

Has anybody actually made a model in Blender for Amnesia?

08-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(08-01-2013, 06:40 PM)X4anco Wrote: Has anybody actually made a model in Blender for Amnesia?

I've done plenty. Anything i would mention here, though, should already be mentioned in the FG Wiki Blender article you linked to.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Website Find
X4anco Offline

PLEASE, could you do a quick tutorial on YouTube or something. Just with a cube then texture it and export it? This is the first model I've ever made. Plus there's a lack of Blender Amnesia tutorials.

08-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(08-01-2013, 06:48 PM)X4anco Wrote: PLEASE, could you do a quick tutorial on YouTube or something. Just with a cube then texture it and export it? This is the first model I've ever made. Plus there's a lack of Blender Amnesia tutorials.
Doing a video would be a bit much effort but I could livestream if you want me too (no voice though my mic is shit)
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2013, 06:54 PM by WALP.)
08-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Find