Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia
pinkribbonscars Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia

(08-11-2013, 07:26 AM)Statyk Wrote: Exclusives are such a bad marketing strategy... I don't understand it. I wish I could play it as well, but I do not own a PS3, nor is a game going to compel me to get one at any point.

The Last of Us is worth buying a PS3 for. It's freaking amazing.
08-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

(08-11-2013, 04:17 PM)Zgroktar Wrote: Everything that Penumbra does, Amnesia does better, and the same is of the immersion. Penumbra is a good game, but at times is too much flawed and incomplete. That ruins the immersion for me.
BP was better to me than TDD was but I get your point that the movement and handling is kinda spastic would be nice if they would do a HQ remake of it sometime.
08-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

(08-11-2013, 04:32 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(08-11-2013, 04:17 PM)Zgroktar Wrote: Everything that Penumbra does, Amnesia does better, and the same is of the immersion. Penumbra is a good game, but at times is too much flawed and incomplete. That ruins the immersion for me.

You played Amnesia first, right?

No, I've played Penumbra first. At the end of the last year did I played Amnesia for the first time.

(08-11-2013, 05:57 PM)maarten12100 Wrote:
BP was better to me than TDD was but I get your point that the movement and handling is kinda spastic would be nice if they would do a HQ remake of it sometime.

That wasn't my point, the movement and handling are of a minor importance for me. Amnesia is better in the elements of the story, atmosphere, and is many times more horrifying than Penumbra. For me Penumbra, while a decent game, just doesn't deliver quite a punch like Amnesia.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM by Zgroktar.)
08-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-11-2013, 09:57 PM)Zgroktar Wrote: That wasn't my point, the movement and handling are of a minor importance for me. Amnesia is better in the elements of the story, atmosphere, and is many times more horrifying than Penumbra. For me Penumbra, while a decent game, just doesn't deliver quite a punch like Amnesia.

I agree the story is superior, but I find the story in Amnesia to be considerably weak as well. I think the real improvement was in the storytelling, not the story itself. The first half of Amnesia has an admirable sense of dread and mystery to it and the set-up is simply put amazing - but I think the way it progressed and the way it was eventually tied up was monumentally bad, passable at best.

In regards to the atmosphere, I think both games are equal. Different, but in terms of having an oppressively thick atmosphere and number of/effectiveness of scares I think they are pretty much exactly equal. The only difference, in my opinion, is that the scariness in Amnesia is mostly smoke and mirrors, but since this is almost imperceptible if you're properly immersed I don't think it should be considered in any serious manner.

As for your statement that it doesn't deliver the same punch as Amnesia, I wonder whether it's possible you forgot the final third of Penumbra: Black Plague, which I consider to be comparable to or even superior to the majority of Amnesia. It is incredibly scary and in my opinion the way the tension builds and builds until the end is handled with much more finesse than in Amnesia. The idea in both cases is identical, essentially a

Spoiler below!
giant fetch quest.

Only, in Penumbra I am always genuinely afraid to continue because this section is filled with very uncomfortable sections, whereas in Amnesia I was annoyed at the prospect of having to gather all of these orb pieces.

It was transparent and you could almost say it was padding which I found very unwelcome seeing as the game had been going on for too long by that point. And these are not old recollections poisoning my opinion, I just recently replayed it and found the experience identical.
08-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

First tuurngait encounter biggest hearth shake ever to me.
The fact it could talk and even though I saw the monster in the X-ray room before it was terrifying.
08-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Find
Thief1337 Offline

Threads: 1

(08-11-2013, 04:35 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: The Last of Us is worth buying a PS3 for. It's freaking amazing.

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.ca/2013/...of-us.html

Have a good read. (:

[Image: wksljl.gif]
08-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

(08-11-2013, 04:32 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(08-11-2013, 01:36 PM)cantremember Wrote: FG makes PC games because they are a very small company and don't have the means to port it to consoles, their fanbase is limited because they don't spend much on marketing either.

They make PC games, because the PC is best and only true gaming console.

This fan-boyism is very childish... PC's are much more accessible. You know C++ (or whatever) and got somene doing models and sounds and you can get crackin' on it. If you want to make games for a console, you need to have a special development console and can't release whatever you want because the console is owned by a company, unlike PC's. Very few developers have any experience creating games on consoles which makes the investment an even bigger risk.

If developers have the chance to bring a game to console, they probably will. The porting cost is (if you have the means) less than the development of the initial game, and piracy is lower. Extra income is almost guarenteed. FG doesn't because they don't know what they're doing and they realise that.
08-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Look, unless any of you have any experience helping a company port a commercial title to a console, or heck JUST porting a game to a console I'd advise we don't run around making assumptions like this.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
08-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-12-2013, 12:25 PM)cantremember Wrote: FG doesn't because they don't know what they're doing and they realise that.

And you know this how? If you had read even a single blog entry by Thomas you'd know that FG are a bunch of romantics interested primarily in expanding the artistic possibilities of gaming. They need money to survive, but to suggest that they would do absolutely anything to make excess money is absurd. Amnesia is incompatible with consoles in several regards and it is for this reason, as well as being a small independent company, that they have not and probably will never develop for other consoles.
08-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

(08-12-2013, 01:03 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(08-12-2013, 12:25 PM)cantremember Wrote: FG doesn't because they don't know what they're doing and they realise that.

And you know this how? If you had read even a single blog entry by Thomas you'd know that FG are a bunch of romantics interested primarily in expanding the artistic possibilities of gaming. They need money to survive, but to suggest that they would do absolutely anything to make excess money is absurd. Amnesia is incompatible with consoles in several regards and it is for this reason, as well as being a small independent company, that they have not and probably will never develop for other consoles.
That's exactly what I said.
08-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Find