Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

War
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: War

(08-18-2013, 06:18 PM)BAndrew Wrote: Is there however any serious reason?

I think the reasons such as land and ESPECIALLY politics are pretty solid and serious.

You can play a wise pacifist and say like "Everything can be solved with peace" but that's far from the truth.

Wars are sad and tragic but some of them are far from pointless

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
08-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Find
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23

@Dogfood

Could you specify a war that was not pointless?

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

08-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

(08-18-2013, 08:33 PM)BAndrew Wrote: @Dogfood

Could you specify a war that was not pointless?

When my country wanted to get independent from Yugoslavia. 90% slovenians agreed that yugoslavia is basically holding us back, destroying our culture, economy and in general is bad for us. Almost every single slovenian wanted to get free from Yugoslavia, and when we decided enough was enough and that we're about to become an independent country, Yugoslavia stepped in with military in an attempt to stop us.

The war didnt last long, but almost every single slovenian fought hard so we can be an independent country. If we said "Fuck war, lets not fight" we'd still be under Yugoslavia and that would be bad for everyone.

With war we achieved to become a free, independent, free from communism country, and without fighting it would be impossible to achieve.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
08-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Find
BAndrew Offline

(08-18-2013, 08:40 PM)Dogfood Wrote: When my country wanted to get independent from Yugoslavia. 90% slovenians agreed that yugoslavia is basically holding us back, destroying our culture, economy and in general is bad for us. Almost every single slovenian wanted to get free from Yugoslavia, and when we decided enough was enough and that we're about to become an independent country, Yugoslavia stepped in with military in an attempt to stop us.

The war didnt last long, but almost every single slovenian fought hard so we can be an independent country. If we said "Fuck war, lets not fight" we'd still be under Yugoslavia and that would be bad for everyone.

With war we achieved to become a free, independent, free from communism country, and without fighting it would be impossible to achieve.

You forgot an important detail. Why were your nation not independant? Let me guess... war. Before your rebellion which was not pointless there was a war which was.

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2013, 08:48 PM by BAndrew.)
08-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

Is war pointless? Nah. However, so long as more than 1 human exists, there will always be some kind of hatred or fighting. There will always be division and then a need for war. War serves many purposes. The most obvious is to defend oneself. It can allow you to expand your borders and influence. It allows you to control many more people and resources. It can also be profitable. War is also the best solution we have to the rising problem of population control. None of these are 'excuses' for war, except for religion.

Do I support war? Not exactly, but I recognize what its purpose is and what it is there for. So long as multiple people exist, there will always be war, at one point or another. Even if the entire world was controlled by a single power, Civil Wars can happen. Religion has been a major event in past wars and it is honestly pretty amazing. How people managed to get so ruthless because some guy told him that God wanted bloodshed. When you think about the logic behind these wars of religion, you cannot help but laugh (or at least I do). Unless we can somehow change human instinct, war is inevitable. However, there is a great deal of logic behind every single conflict. Logic includes reasoning, wars are never fought without a purpose.

NTAGAF

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013, 02:24 AM by Juby.)
08-19-2013, 02:22 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(08-18-2013, 07:36 PM)J.R.S.Storch Wrote: Humans are not logical. With logic, comes the emptiness of emotion which us humans embrace.
They did an experiment where they altered a person's prefrontal cortex and frontal lobe, the portion of the brain that plays a large factor in regulating emotions. However, the person also lost the ability to plan ahead and make sensible decisions related to their well-being. A possible conclusion that can be drawn from this is that emotion and logic are not dichotomies but are intricately connected.

From a Chronotastic perspective, I would say human wars are directly a result of social identity. It feels good to believe that you're fighting for an absolute good and that the enemy is an absolute evil which must be erased. And of course, the people who dictate absolutes are the people who control the group.

[Image: p229xcq]
08-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

(08-19-2013, 06:53 AM)Chronocat Wrote:
(08-18-2013, 07:36 PM)J.R.S.Storch Wrote: Humans are not logical. With logic, comes the emptiness of emotion which us humans embrace.
They did an experiment where they altered a person's prefrontal cortex and frontal lobe, the portion of the brain that plays a large factor in regulating emotions. However, the person also lost the ability to plan ahead and make sensible decisions related to their well-being. A possible conclusion that can be drawn from this is that emotion and logic are not dichotomies but are intricately connected.
An ample experiment with interesting results. It is possible that emotions and logic draw from one another; one needs the other to survive. Perhaps it is not the need to lose one to understand war, but the ability to govern both.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
08-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Website Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

I think it depends what the war is about that makes it pointless or not. If someone is trying to take over the world then war on that individual would make sense, but a war over somethig like oil would be pointless.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
08-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Find
BAndrew Offline

(08-21-2013, 07:33 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: I think it depends what the war is about that makes it pointless or not. If someone is trying to take over the world then war on that individual would make sense, but a war over somethig like oil would be pointless.

To the same individual (who is probably insane) it might make sense. But to me it's pathetic and insane. What's the point in taking over the world anyway? What's the benefit?

08-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

(08-21-2013, 08:14 PM)BAndrew Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 07:33 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: I think it depends what the war is about that makes it pointless or not. If someone is trying to take over the world then war on that individual would make sense, but a war over somethig like oil would be pointless.

To the same individual (who is probably insane) it might make sense. But to me it's pathetic and insane. What's the point in taking over the world anyway? What's the benefit?

power, dominance, control, respect?

08-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Find