Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The dogs..
Im_Sexy Offline

Threads: 21
The dogs..

So, the dogs arent dead, they just went insane or got infected by the Turngait virus, explaining all their strange scars and glowing eyes.

This is possible because the dogs got infected to a point that they cant smell Philip when hes around? I mean, you can only be spotted if they find you with their eyes. Also they are sensible to noise, ok coming from a dog. But the fact they cant smell...yet they can smell the bief aroma... I mean, if you are hiding from a dog behind a crate or box, we will find you because they can smell you

Why is this?
I know its a games thing, has a dog finding you by the "smell" isnt very easy to do, but it can be done on other aways like the "how close you are from them/range etc"...

but my point is if theres any explanation why they can smell the bief and not you.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2008, 11:10 PM by noctislp.)
08-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4
RE: The dogs..

Im_Sexy Wrote:but my point is if theres any explanation why they can smell the bief and not you.
Maybe their sense of smell was diminished by some effect (probably the Tuurngait virus. It's really easy to blame everything on "G-Manus Of Borg" Wink )

After all, humans can smell meat too, but many can't smell other humans (which I can't understand, since most human beings I met yet do have a quite intense, and often even identifyable, smell. In school I could distinguish most members of our class by their smell alone if my nose was free and I concentrated enough. But lots of people even say rocks and metals don't have a smell, so I might just be weird)

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
08-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Find
Klayman Offline

Threads: 14

I think it is easy to make those dog's to smell the player but then if they find you always when you are hiding behind a box then the game will lose all stealth factor and the player will be forced to fight with them always when they are near.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2008, 12:06 PM by packz.)
08-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4

Klayman Wrote:I think it is easy to make those dog's to smell the player but then if they find you always when you are hiding behind a box then the game will lose all stealth factor and the player will be forced to fight with them always when they are near. I hope you understand my english Wink
Perfectly, and I'm not even a native speaker Smile

That's probably the actual reason for the dogs not having any sense of smell, but a "scientific" explanation would have been nice too.

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
08-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Klayman Wrote:I think it is easy to make those dog's to smell the player but then if they find you always when you are hiding behind a box then the game will lose all stealth factor and the player will be forced to fight with them always when they are near.

That's exactly straight to the point, man!

08-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Website Find
Im_Sexy Offline

Threads: 21

Thaliur Wrote:
Im_Sexy Wrote:but my point is if theres any explanation why they can smell the bief and not you.
Maybe their sense of smell was diminished by some effect (probably the Tuurngait virus. It's really easy to blame everything on "G-Manus Of Borg" Wink )

Yes, the virus is the most reasonable answer. I really think that the dogs cant smell the beef aroma, they only eat it when they saw it.(they got a very good vision due to the virus i guess).

The main point of the post in not "Make dogs smell you", its just an idea to think why they cant smell you (the virus!)
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2008, 07:52 PM by noctislp.)
08-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

Thaliur Wrote:That's probably the actual reason for the dogs not having any sense of smell, but a "scientific" explanation would have been nice too.

Maybe the infected dogs can't smell living flesh, only dead meat. *evil laughter*

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
08-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Find
Klayman Offline

Threads: 14

If you were living as dog in mines in one place for years maybe then you would lose your sence of smell because there is nothing to smell. Every day is same as yesterday.

Also I think those dogs have starved almost to death so they started to eat parts of theyr own body (Thats why they don't have feet so they can't run very fast).
08-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

hahahaha, seriously though, why not give the dog a ruddy great smack accross the ears with yer old ice pick and be on ya way? lol

Not an image
09-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Find
Tindervit Offline

Threads: 0

Tommy Gun Wrote:hahahaha, seriously though, why not give the dog a ruddy great smack accross the ears with yer old ice pick and be on ya way? lol

Hehe I did not find the "Ice Pick Tactic" to be very useful ;] I tried to blast those dogs to smitherines but that also failed terribly x] The best way I found was just to outrun them and bunny jump, which sure did ruin the tense feeling and excitement, but worked like a charm heh ;] Not that I found those dogs to be really intimidating to start with though. I really liked the encounters in Black Plague a lot better :]

[En dröm så Färgstark en verklighet så Grå]
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2008, 09:48 PM by Przemulala.)
10-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Find