Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Reviews] Amnesia – A Machine For Pigs
Eyelander Offline

Threads: 0
RE: [Reviews] Amnesia – A Machine For Pigs

(09-09-2013, 10:57 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote: The positive reviews far outweigh the negatives. And from what I've read the negative reviewers didn't quite get it. Just enjoy it guys, don't stick a number or someone else's opinion on something you're excited to play. We made this game to scare and twist your soul. No one else's. Enjoy!

I can agree with that reading all the lower reviews they are all reviews from people i never even heard of in my life. Plus there names make it sound like they are just random people with a early copy, Im still excited for machine for pigs!
09-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

Playonix:

4/5

http://playonix.com/2013/09/09/review-am...-for-pigs/

"All in all, the occasional hitching in the graphics and slightly muddled
textures keep this title from perfection. But if you like the horror
genre, I definitely recommend picking up Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.
The story will keep you guessing how everything ties together until the
very end. Play in a dark room, alone, with headphones. I guarantee
you’ll jump when you least expect it."

Monstervine:

4/5

http://monstervine.com/2013/09/amnesia-a...gs-review/

"A Machine for Pigs makes some changes lots of people probably won’t
like, but it does so for a more focused and tighter experience. Albeit
much shorter than the first game, Pigs is a fantastic sequel and has me
looking forward to The Chinese Room’s future work."
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013, 11:14 PM by Ossie.)
09-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Find
XDamienDaKillaX Offline

Threads: 2

(09-09-2013, 09:09 PM)bluel0bster Wrote:
(09-09-2013, 08:45 PM)XDamienDaKillaX Wrote: Honestly, reviewers who gave the game negative reviews most likely sat on their chair with the lights on and no headphones, using a controller, not close to their computer. Seriously, try that one day. Amnesia is wayyy less enjoyable if you play like that, any horror game for that matter. If they sit with headphones and the volume way up in a dark room, and they'll see their perspective on the game change.

That's kind of pretentious, isn't it? People only gave the game bad reviews because they played it the wrong way?

These reviewers are people, and people have a habit of not agreeing with each other. People's opinions are incredibly diverse; even if the game is absolutely phenomenal, not everybody is going to like it.

Anyway, these reviewers should definitely be given the benefit of the doubt, considering they've played the game and we haven't yet.

Sorry, kinda came out the wrong way. Playing the game the wrong way hinders your experience, thus giving you a bad impression of the game. If you don't play a game the way its meant to be played, you don't know how good it can be.
09-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Find
FromTheSidelines Offline

(09-09-2013, 11:57 PM)XDamienDaKillaX Wrote: Sorry, kinda came out the wrong way. Playing the game the wrong way hinders your experience, thus giving you a bad impression of the game. If you don't play a game the way its meant to be played, you don't know how good it can be.

Hm...I'm of two minds on this subject. On the one hand, it seems silly to suggest there's one way and one way only to play a game and if you don't play it that way you're doing it wrong. On the other, if you're stopping the game every five minutes to do something else or playing it while listening to your mp3 player or something, that will definitely hurt your sense of immersion and that won't be the game's fault.
09-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

I honestly don't know what to think. I've never seen such a controversial reception.

I have to admit my expectations have been significantly lowered. I wanted this game to be scary. I really did.

But of course I can't judge until I've experienced it for myself.
09-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-10-2013, 12:49 AM)The Raining Brains Wrote: I honestly don't know what to think. I've never seen such a controversial reception.

I have to admit my expectations have been significantly lowered. I wanted this game to be scary. I really did.

But of course I can't judge until I've experienced it for myself.

You haven't been around video game forums much. Every game I've seen has had schizophrenic backlashes.
09-10-2013, 01:02 AM
Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Fwiw, Markiplier loved it :-)

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
09-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

What is most important to me, and I am sure many would agree, is that you guys from both Frictional and The Chinese Room love the new Amnesia, no other opinion matter that much.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013, 01:24 AM by Zgroktar.)
09-10-2013, 01:23 AM
Find
XDamienDaKillaX Offline

(09-10-2013, 12:14 AM)FromTheSidelines Wrote:
(09-09-2013, 11:57 PM)XDamienDaKillaX Wrote: Sorry, kinda came out the wrong way. Playing the game the wrong way hinders your experience, thus giving you a bad impression of the game. If you don't play a game the way its meant to be played, you don't know how good it can be.

Hm...I'm of two minds on this subject. On the one hand, it seems silly to suggest there's one way and one way only to play a game and if you don't play it that way you're doing it wrong. On the other, if you're stopping the game every five minutes to do something else or playing it while listening to your mp3 player or something, that will definitely hurt your sense of immersion and that won't be the game's fault.
Not quite saying there is only one way to play, the one I mentioned is just the best, most immersive one.
09-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Find
Sefam Offline

(09-09-2013, 10:57 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote: The positive reviews far outweigh the negatives. And from what I've read the negative reviewers didn't quite get it. Just enjoy it guys, don't stick a number or someone else's opinion on something you're excited to play. We made this game to scare and twist your soul. No one else's. Enjoy!

I dunno about that. There's a few "Yea it's good, but it's not that great" reviews.

I think Jim Sterling's review on Destructoid is right on the money, and it's a 7/10. And usually if there's a reviewer I trust when it comes to horror, it's him. Most of the complaints about the game seem to be as follow:

-Removal of gameplay elements.
-Much more focus on the story (Much like Dear Esther)

The game bearing the brand name "Amnesia" brings many expectations, and they don't exactly coincide with what everyone assumes The Chinese Room brought to the table, and that's coming from someone who didn't like Dear Esther. From what I've seen, I'm expecting a good game with a good story, but I can understand why people are disappointed.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013, 04:46 AM by Sefam.)
09-10-2013, 04:44 AM
Find