Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
NicoNico Offline

Threads: 0
RE: My opinion about how TCR is dealing with the criticism

(09-21-2013, 12:04 PM)Abraxas Wrote: To me, they want to tell an artist to turn a portrait into a caricature. Or a paint-by-number.
Yes, it's a shame. We already have a lot of AAA games that are clearly just made to "please the average gamer" and the result is : A LOT of games out there just look like twins. Really, what's the big difference between Uncharted and Tomb Raider ? Between, of course, Call of Duty and Battlefield ?
Independant gaming allows the developpers to express their artistic vision. So, please, let them do.
Maybe it won't always be perfect. But, at least, they tried. And trying is the way to succeed.
09-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

~ Ye Grand List of Ways to Make This Thread Close ~
  • Ad hominem attacks against other members.
  • Ad hominem attacks against FG or TCR members.
  • Overuse of provocative language ("whining", "fanbois", etc.)
  • Wanton abuse of the concept of paragraphs.
  • Going off-topic simply to score points off of each other ("and besides, you probably like Call do Duty lol").

Enjoy the discussion and be nice; being mean makes the baby Jesus cry Sad
09-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Find
NicoNico Offline

(09-21-2013, 01:17 PM)Paddy Wrote:
  • Going off-topic simply to score points off of each other ("and besides, you probably like Call do Duty lol").
Well, that wasn't my point at all. I have actually nothing against these games. It's just the perfect example of "perfect twins" games. That's all.
09-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(09-21-2013, 01:31 PM)NicoNico Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 01:17 PM)Paddy Wrote:
Well, that wasn't my point at all. I have actually nothing against these games. It's just the perfect example of "perfect twins" games. That's all.

I wasn't talking specifically to you man, sorry Wink
09-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Find
NicoNico Offline

(09-21-2013, 01:43 PM)Paddy Wrote: I wasn't talking specifically to you man, sorry Wink
No worries Wink
09-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Find
Clord Offline

Threads: 7

As far the law goes, it doesn't oblige them to act certain way when it comes to criticism, so it is not like they want to cause a potentially bad PR by replying to them seriously and in detail.

When one is selling their products, very few are going to intentionally do actions what could damage the sales and reputation unless they really get offended.

So don't expect TCR to admit much as it would be bad for their business and they might actually like their design choices so they would not see disagreeing viewpoints anyway that easily.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2013, 12:31 PM by Clord.)
09-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Find
Quizerno Offline

Threads: 1

It just confirms to me that TCR is one of the most backwards studios in indie game development. Instead of addressing the legit criticism, she just strawmanned all the critics and used her projection to paint them as if they were wrong to expect something. Yes, how dare people have expectations of quality to the sequel of a highly regarded game!

You know, I wasn't JUST angry that it was different from the original Amnesia, I was angry because it was the exact same thing we've always gotten from TCR (and that I expected it because I knew of their involvement).

-linear corridors
-over abundance of narration
-purple prose
-half-baked gameplay mechanics
-lack of player interaction

And there's nothing wrong with making games like that, or even liking games like that, but you see that's not what made Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Penumbra so great.

Hence if people WANTED to buy a successor to Dear Esther, they would have bought it and have been satisfied. Those who criticize the AMFP wanted an expansion on what Amnesia was, not a subtraction of the gameplay elements.

Criticism is not entitlement, it's how the world works, if people are unhappy with what they received then they can say they didn't like it. Their arguments may range from rational to non-nonsensical.

I'm not gonna say they lied to their audience, and I'm DEFINITELY not gonna say that they deserve death threats. But I think TCR has abused their gameplay style by bringing it where it's not desired.

The Amnesia name is the only thing that makes AMFP a sequel to Amnesia. But to me, it's not even a bad sequel, it's bad game. They could have removed the Amnesia name and called it just "A Machine for Pigs" and I still would have criticized it.
09-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Find
zarathustra Offline

I am dissapointed in this game. I wanted puzzles, a reason to explore, and maybe it would have been better.

also in my opinion the story wasn't anything spectacular either. certainly not good enough to stand alone without any of the aforementioned elements(puzzles, player interactivity)
The monsters also dissapointed me as well... They seemed very unimaginative and I wasn't thrilled to run into them for the first time either.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 06:08 AM by zarathustra.)
09-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-24-2013, 05:16 AM)Quizerno Wrote: The Amnesia name is the only thing that makes AMFP a sequel to Amnesia. But to me, it's not even a bad sequel, it's bad game. They could have removed the Amnesia name and called it just "A Machine for Pigs" and I still would have criticized it.

Yeah:
-hiding from monstrosities
-having no means of defense
-dark historical setting
-an unpleasant protagonist
-use of audio flashbacks and diary entries
-emphasis on exploration
-reliance on light-source that also attracts attention

If you get rid of everything this game has in common with its predecessor, of course you're not gonna find anything that you like. Cherry-picking is fun when combined with a dash of arrogance.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 06:34 AM by Alardem.)
09-24-2013, 06:33 AM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

(09-21-2013, 04:36 AM)Kein Wrote: What criticism? You mean whining like "But but.. I wanted and expected TDD2!!!1111" (poor, blind and deaf children that for some reason over-fantasized the game they expected)? That is not a valid criticism and I don't think either FG or TCR even bothered by that in slightest. Actual, valid criticism I have yet to see.

You know people could have criticism for the game and not just because it wasn't a tdd clone.

For example some criticizm I had for the game is how the rediculous blue filter washed out all the colors and destroyed the atmosphere for me, at least in my opinion, on a game that heavily relied on atmosphere. At first I thought it was a glitch with the linux version because it was just way too much.

Spoiler below!
The horror aspect was kind of nonexistant, for me. After you sneak past a monster for the first time it the following ones just felt like a stealth game, and not really a difficult one either since the second you crouch around a corner they lose interest in you. And it gets predictable to, like you can tell what type of areas a monster will spawn in, except a few instances where they blindly throw you into chase scenes, and one wasn't planned out to well; The monster literally just spawns behind you and it didn't feel like he snuck up on you or anything especailly if you played cautiously, he just instantly knows where you are through walls and starts chasing you.

The story was also kind of predictable. I pretty much knew right from the start that the person wasn't going to give you your children, and that you where the one who trapped them in the underground lab.You have amnesia and someone is asking you to go back through your own underground secret lab and let them free, it wasn't exactly rocket science that he wanted you to release all the monsters into the world. They sort of never explained why he had amnesia in the first place either, at least I couldnt' find the note that explained it.

The last quarter of the game where you just like run through the streets of london didn't really bring a lot to the game. I get it was suppose to be all cinematic and trying to reflect what you did, but I sort of felt I knew what was going to happen anyways so it didn't phase me.

Also there was a serious lack of music except the points where it's used to bring out the 'epicness' I guess would be the word for it, of some things like the machine. But general ambient music is almost gone or at least I couldn't really hear much, I remember a lot of people complained about in TDD that they couldn't turn off music, but it would have been better to just have an option rather than just hardly any at all.

Also the game was really short, I beat it in 3 hours and that was with taking my time looking for notes to.

i spam meme 4 raeg
09-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Find