Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: My opinion about how TCR is dealing with the criticism

All this talk about the blue filter confounds me. After the mansion, the filter disappeared for me and the darkness was pure black - a shade far more unsettling than even the blackest moments of the original Amnesia.

To be fair, this blue filter returns in the ending, which can justified by the frozen nature of the area. But the sewers, the interior of the Machine, the underground segments? Couldn't see a damned thing.
09-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

(09-24-2013, 06:57 AM)Alardem Wrote: All this talk about the blue filter confounds me. After the mansion, the filter disappeared for me and the darkness was pure black - a shade far more unsettling than even the blackest moments of the original Amnesia.

To be fair, this blue filter returns in the ending, which can justified by the frozen nature of the area. But the sewers, the interior of the Machine, the underground segments? Couldn't see a damned thing.

Looking back I really wish it wasn't in the mansion or street level because that was one of the most atmospheric parts of the games really since that's where all the pacing is.

Spoiler below!
It was in the mansion, streets, church (kind of annoyed by this one because the church was a highlight of the game), and a few other places underground like in the level where you have to get 2 chemicals and mix them together. The area's it wasn't in where usually tense unsafe areas so you couldn't really soak in the atmosphere as well as you could the safe rooms, which is why having it in all the safe areas kind of was a bad move.

i spam meme 4 raeg
09-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Find
Quizerno Offline

Threads: 1

(09-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: -hiding from monstrosities

Only done a total of four times in AMFP, considering it's short length, hardly a core component.

(09-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: -having no means of defense
-reliance on light-source that also attracts attention

Rendered meaningless with the lack of enemy encounters.

(09-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: -dark historical setting
-an unpleasant protagonist
-use of audio flashbacks and diary entries

Elements of storytelling that are hardly unique to Amnesia.

(09-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: -emphasis on exploration

There's no need to explore in AMFP, the "puzzles" solve themselves and the environments are extremely linear.

(09-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: If you get rid of everything this game has in common with its predecessor, of course you're not gonna find anything that you like. Cherry-picking is fun when combined with a dash of arrogance.

?
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 12:18 PM by Quizerno.)
09-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(09-24-2013, 12:16 PM)Quizerno Wrote:
(09-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: -hiding from monstrosities

Only done a total of four times in AMFP, considering it's short length, hardly a core component.

(09-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: -having no means of defense
-reliance on light-source that also attracts attention

Rendered meaningless with the lack of enemy encounters.

(09-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: -dark historical setting
-an unpleasant protagonist
-use of audio flashbacks and diary entries

Elements of storytelling that are hardly unique to Amnesia.

(09-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: -emphasis on exploration

There's no need to explore in AMFP, the "puzzles" solve themselves and the environments are extremely linear.

(09-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: If you get rid of everything this game has in common with its predecessor, of course you're not gonna find anything that you like. Cherry-picking is fun when combined with a dash of arrogance.

?

TCR had a different goal than FG. Who's to say that sequels must be exactly like the predecessor?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
09-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

I'm fully behind TCR's response to their critics - TCR are being upfront and honest, unlike many other games publishers. Are they being 'unprofessional' in their responses? Not at all.
09-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-24-2013, 07:05 AM)Shev Wrote:
(09-24-2013, 06:57 AM)Alardem Wrote: All this talk about the blue filter confounds me. After the mansion, the filter disappeared for me and the darkness was pure black - a shade far more unsettling than even the blackest moments of the original Amnesia.

Looking back I really wish it wasn't in the mansion or street level because that was one of the most atmospheric parts of the games really since that's where all the pacing is.

Spoiler below!
It was in the mansion, streets, church (kind of annoyed by this one because the church was a highlight of the game), and a few other places underground like in the level where you have to get 2 chemicals and mix them together. The area's it wasn't in where usually tense unsafe areas so you couldn't really soak in the atmosphere as well as you could the safe rooms, which is why having it in all the safe areas kind of was a bad move.

Might be my poor graphical settings, but the blue filter disappeared once I went under the church. I don't get your point about the dangerous areas being the darkest parts - SURELY it's more unnerving when you rely on the flashlight in the sections where the pigs try to get at ya? You seem to be favoring the ambient lighting at the moments where it's least necessary.
09-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Find
Quizerno Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism

(09-24-2013, 12:31 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: TCR had a different goal than FG. Who's to say that sequels must be exactly like the predecessor?

Never said it had to be "exactly like it." But if people go into a game that claims it's the sequel to Amnesia and they don't get an Amnesia-like experience are they wrong to criticize it?

If they had merely changed the existing mechanics people would have understood or even impressed. Instead the mechanics were removed, the only thing that was added was a new story and new environments.

If TCR didn't want to make use of Amnesia's mechanics, they should have just made their own thing and not marketed their title as Amnesia.
09-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Find
Blue Machine Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism

[Image: CFAPPMT.jpg]

VS

[Image: 5Zx9AOg.jpg]

[Image: Ree6LNP.jpg]
:( AmNeSiA a MaChInE fOr DeAr EsThEr :(
09-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Find