Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism

(10-10-2013, 07:18 PM)LuckyBlackCatXIII Wrote: If TCR is going to continue spouting off they're all about story then by all means please try to make a strong one for once with actual characters instead of something I'd read in a writing class.

<3
10-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

(10-10-2013, 07:18 PM)LuckyBlackCatXIII Wrote: I think that's what was the biggest disappointment to me with all this. I could live with not being pants-wetting scared but I really enjoy a well told, good story in video games. The main plot of your game is important but characters are just as important since they're the ones who make a story what it is. If TCR is going to continue spouting off they're all about story then by all means please try to make a strong one for once with actual characters instead of something I'd read in a writing class.
Ohoh, snap!

You just don't get it. AMFP is 2deep5u, go back to youtube.
10-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Disregarding the obvious irony I dont understand the kind of thinking that you need to be deep enough to understand media. I mean was the point of the media(in this case games) not in the first place to be toolset for you to communicate, that idea, opinion or story which you're cannot simply express?.

Really if anyone was to seriously make the claim you have to be deep enough to get it, I would take that as the same as saying their game had failed at storytelling, which was in this case a major focus.
10-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

(10-10-2013, 07:47 PM)The Mug Wrote: Disregarding the obvious irony I dont understand the kind of thinking that you need to be deep enough to understand media. I mean was the point of the media(in this case games) not in the first place to be toolset for you to communicate, that idea, opinion or story which you're cannot simply express?.

Really if anyone was to seriously make the claim you have to be deep enough to get it, I would take that as the same as saying their game had failed at storytelling, which was in this case a major focus.
I heard people claim that the story is not "shallow", that's why so many people didn't get it.
10-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(10-10-2013, 07:18 PM)LuckyBlackCatXIII Wrote: Wall o' text

When AAMFP first came out, I made a couple of posts on this forum complaining about the story. I just thought it was really bad. Unfortunately, due to my laziness I never really elaborated on why I think that way. In fact, this laziness was so strong that it even overpowered the urge to not look stupid on the Internet, and so even direct confrontation (and even mocking) by people who thought differently was not enough to force me to lay hands on my keyboard.

Your post has given me some hope. Looks like I'm not the only one who feels this way. If this evolves into an argument, I might even feel motivated to participate in it and throw down a couple of my own arguments. Tongue

^(;,;)^
10-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

The Daniel avatar fit LuckyBlackCat's post perfectly.

[Image: p229xcq]
10-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Find
padawan Offline

(10-10-2013, 07:18 PM)LuckyBlackCatXIII Wrote: Wall o' text

Agreed 100%. I am surprised nobody mentioned that the plot of AaMfP is quite like "The cybermen" from the Doctor Who show, the main difference being that I found Doctor Who frightening, and AaMfP not. And Doctor Who is a bloody *childeren's show*.
10-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Find
LuckyBlackCatXIII Offline

Threads: 3

(10-10-2013, 07:39 PM)Mechavomit Wrote: You just don't get it. AMFP is 2deep5u, go back to youtube.

I'm guessing this is a joke (and ha ha, yes sir right away sir) but I do want to make something clear since I always see this argument from people that actually mean it:

I got the story. How can you NOT get the story. It's called "Machine for Pigs" for God's sakes and the pig metaphors/analogies are crammed down your throat throughout the entire game just in case it went over your head somehow. Even the more surreal points which I wasn't sure I got 100% correct during my playthrough I looked up to get a better understanding and even then I felt the story became more idiotic at the revelations. While the subject AMFP tries to go for can become a 'deep' topic, its a story that's been told many times before, but it's the way it's presented that it comes off as completely shallow. At least for me, I dunno some people eat this stuff up. I mentioned before I'm majoring in art at my art college and if you know the stereotype for (student)artists/think TCR's reaction was bad imagine getting that around you 24/7. You get use to this sort of fake profoundness and can start seeing the bull-shit behind it.

Also I apologize for my walls o'text, I just have so many feelings, boo hoo! I'm glad I'm not alone on this side of the fence Blush I understand being intimidated or just not having the energy to fight for this side though, I get that plenty of times when I see the large quantity of people who are more aggressively fond towards this game. I'd love to hear more about the dislike on story though since I see so many people praise it.

(10-10-2013, 09:29 PM)Chronofrog Wrote: The Daniel avatar fit LuckyBlackCat's post perfectly.

Ha ha ha! Paint a story, cut the pretentiousness! Paint a story, cut the pretentiousness!!!
(I actually drew that a long time ago, I'm happy to hear it caused some amusement!)
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013, 11:12 PM by LuckyBlackCatXIII.)
10-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

Funny, I always got that sense of pretentiousness from the Bioshock series. A Machine For Pigs had a climactic ending, didn't railroad you into mindless violence, and actually tries to explore the social ideas it raises rather than forgetting about them halfway through. The way I see it, the failures of the storytelling amount to the limited resources and ageing engine available to the developers, rather than laziness or being a cynical hack.
10-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Storytelling can be told no matter the limitations you gave though... Books don't even give visuals, and hell, what was that one game... "Thomas was alone" I think? It was just blocks.
10-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Find