Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Some new ideal for frictional games
zecuro Offline

Threads: 33
RE: Some new ideal for frictional games

Great ideal i think ots could be great they should team up with red barrel for something it would be awesome
09-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Find
Avenger111 Offline

Threads: 0

(09-12-2013, 08:34 AM)Toothbrush Wrote: I honoustly hope Frictional never goes sci-fi...(most sci-fi games feature shiney spacematerial surfaces, laserslights and a lotta bleep, bleep, pew, pew...In my opinion that would reduce the fearlevel immediately)

They already did, twice, they were called Penumbra Overture and Penumbra Black Death and they were awesome.
09-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Find
lolmaster Offline

Threads: 9

(09-16-2013, 11:57 AM)Avenger111 Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 08:34 AM)Toothbrush Wrote: I honoustly hope Frictional never goes sci-fi...(most sci-fi games feature shiney spacematerial surfaces, laserslights and a lotta bleep, bleep, pew, pew...In my opinion that would reduce the fearlevel immediately)

They already did, twice, they were called Penumbra Overture and Penumbra Black Death and they were awesome.

Black Plague?

09-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Find
silentmumbler Offline

I think a cyberpunk futuristic setting could do surprisingly well for a horror game. Imagine Eldritch horrors in the setting of Blade Runner.
09-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Thanks to the Amnesia games I've come to the conclusion that the "in the past" setting works remarkably well for horror. Now, everything set in modern times seems boring and too "comfortable". The overwhelming majority of anything meant to scare you is set in an abandoned factory/hospital/house with murderous people/ghosts chasing you. A camcorder is likely to be involved.
The reason why I personally was so interested in Amnesia because I've never seen the stuff it had anywhere else. It was almost.. educational.
Also the before-electricity times tend to be very dark. Both literally and metaphorically. So.
09-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

I think the problem is less a present setting than a difficulty in creating the "unknown" and an incentive to finding out this "unknown".

/////////////////////////////////////
09-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Website Find
HorrorElementFilms Offline

Threads: 8

I have a possibly amazing idea for a game.

You play as a character who finds himself in a Space Ark, fleeing Earth from a horrible plauge. What they didn't expect, was for the disease to find its way onto the ship itself.

And the whole basis of the game, is that most people already on the ship, either have the disease and die, or turn into something else...

The character wouldn't know anything about The Ark, or the disease. A large portion of the game would be searching through the ungodly large vessel, learning more and more about the horrors of his past. All the way, you'd be hunted down by the former passengers of this ship, fleeing what used to be your friends and family, now turned into horrible creatures.

During the game, He'd have constant visual flashbacks about his life on the Ark, and all the events that led up to such a horrible atrocity.

Honestly, unless Frictional Games were to use that game idea, then I better get started on it myself.
Big Grin
09-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Website Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-17-2013, 12:02 AM)Mechavomit Wrote: Thanks to the Amnesia games I've come to the conclusion that the "in the past" setting works remarkably well for horror. Now, everything set in modern times seems boring and too "comfortable". The overwhelming majority of anything meant to scare you is set in an abandoned factory/hospital/house with murderous people/ghosts chasing you. A camcorder is likely to be involved.
The reason why I personally was so interested in Amnesia because I've never seen the stuff it had anywhere else. It was almost.. educational.
Also the before-electricity times tend to be very dark. Both literally and metaphorically. So.

On the contrary, I'm rather bored with the past. Not that I don't enjoy stories about it, but horror for me works best when it's in environments and a time period that I can relate to i.e. now and here.

It's why I prefer Penumbra's setting over Amnesia's, and why I'm glad to see that the few hints we've got so far of the new project point to something set in the near-future...
09-17-2013, 02:57 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(09-17-2013, 02:57 AM)Alardem Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 12:02 AM)Mechavomit Wrote: Thanks to the Amnesia games I've come to the conclusion that the "in the past" setting works remarkably well for horror. Now, everything set in modern times seems boring and too "comfortable". The overwhelming majority of anything meant to scare you is set in an abandoned factory/hospital/house with murderous people/ghosts chasing you. A camcorder is likely to be involved.

On the contrary, I'm rather bored with the past. Not that I don't enjoy stories about it, but horror for me works best when it's in environments and a time period that I can relate to i.e. now and here.

It's why I prefer Penumbra's setting over Amnesia's, and why I'm glad to see that the few hints we've got so far of the new project point to something set in the near-future...

I'm the complete opposite. You can do much more things artistically and writing wise with older periods.

The contemporary world is ''plastic'', clean, clean cut, cold, etc.
09-17-2013, 03:08 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-17-2013, 03:08 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 02:57 AM)Alardem Wrote:

I'm the complete opposite. You can do much more things artistically and writing wise with older periods.

The contemporary world is ''plastic'', clean, clean cut, cold, etc.

i think we'll just have to agree to completely disagree. Our present is nothing like you've described, and if you see the world that way I'd suggest you reconsider. :p
09-17-2013, 03:28 AM
Find