Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
My thoughts and questions that I would really like to share.
ThanatosPLz Offline

Threads: 1
My thoughts and questions that I would really like to share.

So I beat AMFP, ofcourse as soon as the game started i notice the lack of inventory and what dissapointed me the most that the game was less open than TDD, and was much more like gayyy game called Deer Esther. Ofcourse lack of interactive elements also hurts. It was no longer 100% Amnesia but Amnesia/Deer Esther hybrid.
BUT I said: Game still have great atmosphere, not as bad story and the most importly it is still scary and I was scaried to do the next move and encounter the first pig. Unfortunatelly later part of that short game became much worse. I dont know like you guys but after prison section I was no longer scaried of pigs, I fell pity for them and I also had occasion to look at them more carefully which make me more confident. From that moment game changed from Amnesia/Deer Esther hybrid to 100% Deer Esther. So far Puzzles were easy, later there were no puzzles at all. Story was interesting but also predictable (everybody knew that the "phone guy" is bad). Later I was also forced to listen this boring/gayyy dialogue between Mundus and his "friend". Another psychopath who wants to redeem the world by killing everyone, blablabla, I heard that somwhere. London scene was stupid, not scary at all. There were only 2 encounters with pigs. WHERE IS THE CAGE SECTION FROM THE TRAILER ??? Trully, 3/5 of the game was quite good, last sections were horriblly boring and rush, not scary at all.

Is there anybody who can agree with it ? I was about to give the game 7-8/10 but after last levels I give her 6/10.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013, 07:34 PM by ThanatosPLz.)
09-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9
RE: My thoughts and questions that I would really like to share.

(09-15-2013, 07:30 PM)ThanatosPLz Wrote: . WHERE IS THE CAGE SECTION FROM THE TRAILER ???

Near the centrifuge. However, there's no monster like in the trailer
09-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Find
ThanatosPLz Offline

(09-15-2013, 07:41 PM)Deep One Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 07:30 PM)ThanatosPLz Wrote: . WHERE IS THE CAGE SECTION FROM THE TRAILER ???

Yeaah I know but its not as dark there, there is no monster which runs at you, room is much smaller and you can't enter the cages so in fact its not same section Sad I feel a little bit cheated.
09-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Find
Diango12 Offline

Threads: 2

(09-15-2013, 07:55 PM)ThanatosPLz Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 07:41 PM)Deep One Wrote:

Yeaah I know but its not as dark there, there is no monster which runs at you, room is much smaller and you can't enter the cages so in fact its not same section Sad I feel a little bit cheated.

Join the club.
09-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

(09-15-2013, 07:30 PM)ThanatosPLz Wrote: So I beat AMFP, ofcourse as soon as the game started i notice the lack of inventory and what dissapointed me the most that the game was less open than TDD, and was much more like gayyy game called Deer Esther. Ofcourse lack of interactive elements also hurts. It was no longer 100% Amnesia but Amnesia/Deer Esther hybrid.
BUT I said: Game still have great atmosphere, not as bad story and the most importly it is still scary and I was scaried to do the next move and encounter the first pig. Unfortunatelly later part of that short game became much worse. I dont know like you guys but after prison section I was no longer scaried of pigs, I fell pity for them and I also had occasion to look at them more carefully which make me more confident. From that moment game changed from Amnesia/Deer Esther hybrid to 100% Deer Esther. So far Puzzles were easy, later there were no puzzles at all. Story was interesting but also predictable (everybody knew that the "phone guy" is bad). Later I was also forced to listen this boring/gayyy dialogue between Mundus and his "friend". Another psychopath who wants to redeem the world by killing everyone, blablabla, I heard that somwhere. London scene was stupid, not scary at all. There were only 2 encounters with pigs. WHERE IS THE CAGE SECTION FROM THE TRAILER ??? Trully, 3/5 of the game was quite good, last sections were horriblly boring and rush, not scary at all.

Is there anybody who can agree with it ? I was about to give the game 7-8/10 but after last levels I give her 6/10.

Hey there, welcome to the forums!

First off, I respect members' opinions, but starting by saying Dear Esther is gay is not going to make other members take your post seriously. It really makes you come off as a player who does not care about these kind of games, half of The Dark Descent included. Pay at least somewhat respect to the games if you decide dragging them up on these forums, or we won't be respecting you.

Other than that, I think you bring up some interesting points, and I would love to discuss some of those details. You mention that at some point, you stop being scared of the roaming creatures, feeling pity for them instead. You know, I felt the same way. I was still a little scared, because I had not been in too much danger yet, but in a way, I also felt a connection with them. Most of them seemed not to care about my presence, and I think this can be explained in the story somewhere that I have yet to revise. I sincerely believe that you are supposed to feel pity and not fear, for the most part, when it comes to these creatures further out in the game. You even get great opportunities to watch them, like when you encounter those trapped in cells, so I think horror was introduced in a different way than in The Dark Descent. You are not necessarily fearing for yourself, but for London, its inhabitants, the future and everything else around you, and you made this into reality. I certainly was immersed and scared by that fact.

The cage section from the second trailer was indeed not far from the centrifuge. It was quite modified, as you can see. The main trailer for The Dark Descent was an entirely new area never seen in the game, only to demonstrate some of what the game had to offer in a nutshell.

Instead of making an entirely new area for the trailer of A Machine For Pigs, it may seem like they used a part that was already in the game, and then decided to modify it (or they only had that part created for trailer purposes) so that nobody could actually anticipate what was going to happen when they were actually playing it. You do not want to know events that are about to happen in a horror game, it sort of takes horror away from it. What I can agree with, on the other hand, is that the trailers may contain more intense danger and direct gameplay horror than what may have been featured in the game, and I too think there should have been a little bit more focus on aggressive creatures roaming swiftly in the dark nearby. That said, I am still satisfied with how it turned out to be.

I do not agree with your views on the London scene for reasons mentioned earlier in this post. Once again, I felt that most of the horror in this game was having responsibility and fearing for others, not myself, so with that in mind, having the whole London burning scene with a lot of creatures on the loose among the chaos, I felt horrified and horrible.

I agree on the point of interactivity between you and random objects. While I do not go throwing objects around in a fit, when looking around areas and also the times when looking for clues, I felt very limited when I could not grab most of the objects placed around the world. Sure, one thing is, why would I want to, but I was very often reminded that I cannot interact with most of the objects scattered around, and that alone made me a little bit less immersed. Some of the freedom taken away, less immersion, that does make sense, right?

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
09-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Find
ThanatosPLz Offline

(09-15-2013, 08:51 PM)Diz Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 07:30 PM)ThanatosPLz Wrote: So I beat AMFP, ofcourse as soon as the game started i notice the lack of inventory and what dissapointed me the most that the game was less open than TDD, and was much more like gayyy game called Deer Esther. Ofcourse lack of interactive elements also hurts. It was no longer 100% Amnesia but Amnesia/Deer Esther hybrid.

Hey there, welcome to the forums!

First off, I respect members' opinions, but starting by saying Dear Esther is gay is not going to make other members take your post seriously. It really makes you come off as a player who does not care about these kind of games, half of The Dark Descent included. Pay at least somewhat respect to the games if you decide dragging them up on these forums, or we won't be respecting you.

Other than that, I think you bring up some interesting points, and I would love to discuss some of those details. You mention that at some point, you stop being scared of the roaming creatures, feeling pity for them instead. You know, I felt the same way. I was still a little scared, because I had not been in too much danger yet, but in a way, I also felt a connection with them. Most of them seemed not to care about my presence, and I think this can be explained in the story somewhere that I have yet to revise. I sincerely believe that you are supposed to feel pity and not fear, for the most part, when it comes to these creatures further out in the game. You even get great opportunities to watch them, like when you encounter those trapped in cells, so I think horror was introduced in a different way than in The Dark Descent. You are not necessarily fearing for yourself, but for London, its inhabitants, the future and everything else around you, and you made this into reality. I certainly was immersed and scared by that fact.

The cage section from the second trailer was indeed not far from the centrifuge. It was quite modified, as you can see. The main trailer for The Dark Descent was an entirely new area never seen in the game, only to demonstrate some of what the game had to offer in a nutshell.

Instead of making an entirely new area for the trailer of A Machine For Pigs, it may seem like they used a part that was already in the game, and then decided to modify it (or they only had that part created for trailer purposes) so that nobody could actually anticipate what was going to happen when they were actually playing it. You do not want to know events that are about to happen in a horror game, it sort of takes horror away from it. What I can agree with, on the other hand, is that the trailers may contain more intense danger and direct gameplay horror than what may have been featured in the game, and I too think there should have been a little bit more focus on aggressive creatures roaming swiftly in the dark nearby. That said, I am still satisfied with how it turned out to be.

I do not agree with your views on the London scene for reasons mentioned earlier in this post. Once again, I felt that most of the horror in this game was having responsibility and fearing for others, not myself, so with that in mind, having the whole London burning scene with a lot of creatures on the loose among the chaos, I felt horrified and horrible.

I agree on the point of interactivity between you and random objects. While I do not go throwing objects around in a fit, when looking around areas and also the times when looking for clues, I felt very limited when I could not grab most of the objects placed around the world. Sure, one thing is, why would I want to, but I was very often reminded that I cannot interact with most of the objects scattered around, and that alone made me a little bit less immersed. Some of the freedom taken away, less immersion, that does make sense, right?

Hey Wink
I said about Deer Esther being gay to add some kind of humor to my post Big Grin Secondly I belong to group of people who thinks that Deer Esther was simply not good, story wasnt special for me and you only have to walk, only graphics (landspace looked great) and atpmosphere was nice Wink

And when it comes to AMFP. I understand in 100% fact that they dont want us to know what is going to happen and they are modifying locations for trailers. But expected this level to be diffrent, not deleted completely. The one in the final game is much worse. You know what i would made ? Listen: You enter cages but its not dark like in the trailer, there are lights everywere and it seems to be safe, when you are in the middle lights go out, pig enter the area and you need to start hidding between cages and in them.
Players would be surprised and great, scary level would remained. It would be much better instead of 3 cages and one "cinematic" pig running and disappearing.
I will reply more soon Wink
09-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Find
Tilukonfdz Offline

Threads: 2

You know, I don't think the word gay means what you think it means.

Also things are going to be different from trailers. Take a look at movies and their trailers for example. There's always scenes and bits and pieces that aren't/didn't make it into the actual movie.
09-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

People still use ''gay'' to insult something as lame?

Are you a time traveler from the 80's?

Humor he says. Right.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM by Cuyir.)
09-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Find
ThanatosPLz Offline

(09-16-2013, 02:33 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: People still use ''gay'' to insult something as lame?

Are you a time traveler from the 80's?

Humor he says. Right.
Maybe you could focus guys on the topic rather than meaning of the word "gay" . Thank you Wink
09-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

I find it really hard to take the original post seriously.

I can't say I can agree with anything you said to be honest; your review is kind of lacking in maturity and it just seems you expected to have the same encounters as you saw in the trailer - I don't know why that matters - but each to their own. The game is an experimental game, it isn't a direct sequel to TDD and I think this different approach to psychological horror was quite nicely done.

Some people (like me) prefer to have a good story line that can provoke thoughts, rather than have everything there on display, Dear Esther I thought was brilliant, if I want to get myself lost in the story of a game for a bit of escapism I think Dear Esther did that well and the same for AAMFP but it's not for everyone; however, if you don't like something I don't particularly think it's right to say that it is 'gay' perhaps it's better to say that it's not your cup of tea?
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM by Tesseract.)
09-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Find