Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Why remove the trailer scenes?
Pig Offline

Threads: 1
Why remove the trailer scenes?

This is something I found really annoying about the game, and I for one really enjoyed the game.

Why remove the scenes from the trailer? The cage scene looked really scary and the scene with the door being smashed was good too. I feel like if they at kept these scenes the game would have been a little better. I know some trailers for movies have footage that was shot specifically for trailers, so is that what happened here? Were they never in the game to begin with? But even then, why? Even if they were last thoughts, I thought both scenes looked incredibly good and frightening. I was expecting the first encounter with the monster to be the scene with the door, simply because you had to hide and you wouldn't have fully seen the monster which would have kept the intensity up.

I just don't really understand why they WOULDN'T include the scenes. Did they not want to have to many scenes with the monsters? Because there's really not that many in the game already so I find that kind of silly. Or did they just want to keep you guessing? But then not including both scenes is rather disappointing.

Thoughts?
09-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Why remove the trailer scenes?

Welcome!

They did not include the exact scenes, most likely because they do not want you to know any gameplay events before actually playing the game. It would not come off as a surprise to you if you knew it was coming, if you know what I mean. Also, The Dark Descent's original trailer included an entire area which was never ever seen in the game, not even coming close to resembling anywhere in the finished product. This might be due to what has been mentioned about having to do big changes to the game, but I personally believe it was to more ideally show features of the game off more efficiently while not revealing any actual events of the game. I would probably feel de-immersed if I arrived somewhere and thought: "Oh, I know this part, and I know what is going to happen!"

However, I also missed some more tense events as displayed in the trailers for A Machine For Pigs. Perhaps it was intended to introduce more things like that, but changed later? From what I know, the game was supposed to be a lot shorter, more of an expansion pack perhaps, in which it might make more sense to introduce horror the same way that The Dark Descent did. It ended up as an entirely new and fresh game, instead, and while I did not feel the same constant tension as I did with The Dark Descent (and the A Machine For Pigs trailers, for that matter), I still felt on the edge at many parts, while still feeling different kinds of emotions and horror that I did not feel in its predecessor, ie. fearing for the life of others and carrying responsibility for something most dreadful. ^^

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
09-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Find
wolfman Offline

Threads: 2

(09-15-2013, 09:58 PM)Diz Wrote: They did not include the exact scenes, most likely because they do not want you to know any gameplay events before actually playing the game.

I enjoy AMFP, but I've poorly wait for these scenes Big Grin
In the end its not a big problem but first I was like "hmm when will I arrive the part which I saw in the teaser?"
Big Grin

[Image: darkwood_sig_600x120.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013, 10:17 PM by wolfman.)
09-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Which trailer? There is only one official Halloween teaser and all the scenes from it in the game, just a bit modified (i personally checked it).

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-15-2013, 11:42 PM
Find
Pig Offline

Well you're right, they still have the cage room technically but it's not as dark, the room is smaller and there isn't a monster and of course the scene where the monster is breaking down the door never happens either, nor do you ever have a moment where that might happen.
09-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Find
Victor Kade Offline

That trailer was released almost a year ago... You honestly don't think they would change anything in a year?
09-16-2013, 03:13 AM
Find
Diango12 Offline

Threads: 2

(09-16-2013, 03:13 AM)Victor Kade Wrote: That trailer was released almost a year ago... You honestly don't think they would change anything in a year?

This is the most hilarious defense of the trailers I've heard.
09-16-2013, 04:06 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

(09-15-2013, 11:56 PM)Pig Wrote: Well you're right, they still have the cage room technically but it's not as dark, the room is smaller and there isn't a monster and of course the scene where the monster is breaking down the door never happens either, nor do you ever have a moment where that might happen.
Quote:the room is smaller
You don't know that, you never played the teaser build and your words based on your subjective perception and nothing else.

Quote:and of course the scene where the monster is breaking down the door never happens either
I re-watched that teaser for the hell knows what time but there is no scene shown where Pigmen bashes a door.

(09-16-2013, 04:06 AM)Diango12 Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 03:13 AM)Victor Kade Wrote: That trailer was released almost a year ago... You honestly don't think they would change anything in a year?
This is the most hilarious defense of the trailers I've heard.
Comes from the person who can't make a difference between "teaser" and actual "trailer".

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 04:12 AM by Kein.)
09-16-2013, 04:09 AM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

(09-16-2013, 04:09 AM)Kein Wrote:
Quote:and of course the scene where the monster is breaking down the door never happens either
I re-watched that teaser for the hell knows what time but there is no scene shown where Pigmen bashes a door.

The original teaser from after the Humble Indie Bundle V shows it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CagMNLxa9M

09-16-2013, 04:11 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

(09-16-2013, 04:11 AM)Kurton Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 04:09 AM)Kein Wrote:

The original teaser from after the Humble Indie Bundle V shows it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CagMNLxa9M
I don't know why HIN shows it but I myself never seen it before, I think. I saw only the 2m one.

Either way:
Quote:Hope you'll enjoy the first peak at what AAMFP (http://aamfp.com) is shaping up to become.
It was a sneak peak on the content in development, what kind of pretension do you have regarding something you were granted to see, not promised?

Just as a thought. Moving on.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Find