Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How to get a refund - Now not required thanks to Pluto
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: How to get a refund

Well, that's exactly why I think he did. Smile Because it's where the Humble Store link is framed.

http://www.humblebundle.com/store/produc...j382hsnblz

10-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Find
Pluto Offline

Threads: 0

(10-04-2013, 11:57 PM)Moirai Wrote: [...]
All well and good. I download the Windows version...only to find out afterwards that Vista is the base O/S requirement, and that the game installer won't even run unless you are using Vista base minimum.

I'm running XP. -_-
[...]

Hey Moirai,

you can still play on windows XP with a little bit of patience and persistence. I had exactly your problem and GOG was advertising the game as XP compatible which didn't help Confused .

I'm not sure where you got your version (got mine from Humble) so the instructions below might need adjustments. Also you cannot complain to Frictional about problems as XP is unsupported. It's been a couple of weeks since I did the below so instructions might be spotty but I can try to help if needed.

Anyway, first to bypass the OS check, you need to get the Inno Setup Unpacker (http://innounp.sourceforge.net/). With it extract the content of the installer. For me it was something like:

innounp.exe -x amnesia_amfp_1.01.exe

Make a folder before running the command. You should end up with a {app} folder and one file called install_script.iss.

You can move the content (install_files, manual and redist) of {app} one level and delete it when empty.

At this stage, the game cannot run because it is missing a starting config file for the Launcher.exe setup program. To fix this:

copy redist/config/default_main_settings,1.cfg

to My Documents/Amnesia/Pig as main_settings.cfg

(I don't remember if the folder was created the first time I tried to run the Launcher otherwise create it manually)

Then try to run Launcher.exe for the redist folder and it should allow you to setup your preferences. Once this is done, you should be fine...or not.

The below is only useful if you have sound issues.

I encountered a weird issue with sounds. First I had no music at the game welcome screen but still had environmental sounds in the game until I tried to answer the first "phone" call in the mansion and then game speed slowed down to a crawl. Quitting the game at that stage will leave a black screen and you'll have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and kill it.

I tried the tweaks found on the forums (adjusting number of sound channels etc...) to no avail so I tried to update the OpenAL library supplied with the game.

I used the one found at:

http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html

extract libOpenAL32 and soft_oal.dll to the redist folder AFTER backing up your original OpenAL then rename soft_oal.dll to OpenAL32.dll

Rerun Launcher to adjust your sound preferences.

Since this "upgrade" I experienced the issue not so often and was able to play the game fully with all sounds working.

Performance wise it was ok with only occasional stutterings (I have a dual core 2.53 G with 3 Gb RAM and a GS8800).

So the game is playable on XP.

Good luck and enjoy if you decide to cancel the refund !
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 02:09 PM by Pluto.)
10-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

Hiya!

I hope you somehow get to run the installer and the game, since Jens did mention that the game might work on Windows XP although not supported. Do you have Service Pack 3 installed? If not, the first thing you should try doing is installing that. Windows XP with Service Pack 3 is still mad old, but not as stone age as with Service Pack 2, 1 or no Service Packs at all.

You can find out what Service Pack you have installed by right-clicking My Computer and clicking Properties, as illustrated in the picture hiding in the Spoiler tag. Look on the left window, under the text that says System. If it does not mention Service Pack, it means you have none installed.

Spoiler below!
[Image: computador%20com%20service%20pack%203%20...xesoft.jpg]

That aside, you should never expect new games and programs to run on Windows XP. The system has been dying for several years, originally supposed to be officially announced dead long ago, and since Windows Vista is built from the very ground up, it is not worth it for developers to spend time and resources to ensure that their game can run on an old system which Microsoft is soon no longer supporting (decent level of support has ended ages ago as well).

You could try asking for a refund, but if you plan to continue playing games, you will eventually have to move on to a modern operating system. What came after Windows XP was Windows Vista, and these days you won't even be able to buy a set-up computer with Windows 7 in (at least the majority) of the physical stores anymore, it is all about Windows 8 now.

I hope you get to run the installer somehow. Best of luck!

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
10-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(10-05-2013, 01:29 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Well, I purchased AMFP from the Humble Store, and to be honest I don't remember seeing the system requirements anywhere during the process... Not even after, in the Humble Library's download page.

Moirai, did you buy the game from the Humble Store? If so, I suggest you try to contact them about this issue instead.

contact@humblebundle.com

Contradicting a mod in public is a bannable offence.
10-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Forgive me, Master. What can I do to repent of my sin? Sad

10-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Find
Moirai Offline

Threads: 1

Many thanks for all the great responses, guys. Really appreciated!

@Ashtoreth: Yes, I did purchase it through Humble. As you say, no specific system requirements there at all. Let alone a statement that can't even install the game on anything less that Vista.

I can fully understand having a minimum spec for performance reasons. But to stop you from even running the installer after simply saying 'for Windows' on the purchase pages is a bit daft. As it is, I'm running a rig of a spec that could quite easily toy with MFP in one hand while doing something more important with the other, so it grates a little to not even be allowed to install the game.

If Frictional don't want to support XP, that's fine, I've no problem with that. But I should at least be able to install it and try it out.

@Pluto: Wow... Many thanks for taking the time to write all of that out. That is very much appreciated. Thank you! Sorry to hear you had the same/similar issue, but hopefully you're all sorted now.

I shall have a look at doing what you suggest and report back...

@Diz: Much appreciate you taking the time to reply and for your comments. Thank you. Smile

Yes, service pack 3 here.

True, XP is now a legacy O/S. But it is still recognised professionally as a solid O/S (I actually work in the IT industry). Vista, on the other hand, is rather....er, maligned. Windows 7, on the other hand, is what Vista should have been in the first place.

I guess it really just seems a little odd to even stop one from installing the game, let alone running it, (unless it's hard coded to DX11). I mean, here I am, running Skyrim on max settings with nearly 200 mods and an ENB and experiencing rock solid 60FPS in big battles, and I'm being told that I can't install MFP...

Seriously, guys. Don't support it if you don't want to. That's fine. But at least let me try it out... Tongue

Anyway, I shall give Pluto's excellent suggestions a go and see what I can achieve...

Once again, thanks for the replies. Smile
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 05:17 PM by Moirai.)
10-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Find
Moirai Offline

Threads: 1

@Pluto: Thank you very much. Following your instructions, I am now up and running with MFP. The only thing I had to do differently was to copy:

redist/config/default_main_settings,1.cfg

to:

redist/config/default_main_settings.cfg

...instead of to:

My Documents/Amnesia/Pig/main_settings.cfg

...before it was happy. Not sure why there was a difference there between yours and mine, but it's all working now.

Really appreciate your time and help. Thanks very much.

No 'refund' required now. Smile And I shall keep any XP specific technical issues to myself... Wink

That said, there really should be a note on the Frictional page I mentioned, clearly stating the installer's restriction. Tsk!
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 07:42 PM by Moirai.)
10-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
RE: How to get a refund - Now not required thanks to Pluto

Damn, I read the topic title and though it was about me. Oh... Sad Sad Sad Sad
10-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Find