Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Help to choose name for my novel.
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
Help to choose name for my novel.

I've been stuck in this kind of issue:

Which one of these looks and sounds the best?
name suggestions are:

Sins & Despair.

At the Verge of Thruth.

At the Verge of Fate.

Dawn Of Sedyn.

Underling Of Despair.

If none of these doesn't match, have you any suggestions of your own?
The themes are: Despair, sins, humanity, thurth, Sedyn (The planet),
saddness, underling etc.

Thanks in advance.
10-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Help to choose name for my novel.

All of those are terrible in my opinion. You shouldn't really be asking us anyway. The best title for a work is one that perfectly captures it thematically and should optimally be at least somewhat intriguing. The titles you came up with are more like a list of ingredients than an interesting title. Anyway, you have to decide for yourself what the most appropriate title for the novel is, since you know it better than anybody else. If you haven't started yet, I would lay off coming up with a title until you are completely finished with the book.
10-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

(10-27-2013, 01:12 PM)Bridge Wrote: All of those are terrible in my opinion. You shouldn't really be asking us anyway. The best title for a work is one that perfectly captures it thematically and should optimally be at least somewhat intriguing. The titles you came up with are more like a list of ingredients than an interesting title. Anyway, you have to decide for yourself what the most appropriate title for the novel is, since you know it better than anybody else. If you haven't started yet, I would lay off coming up with a title until you are completely finished with the book.

Good point. I've not finished the novel nor i have started it yet.
But i have everything from the story in my head already.
maybe i should end up with something more mysterious and
something that doesn't tell so obviously what the story is about.
Something that appears later in the story maybe.

EDIT: Btw, those are straght translation from finnish, they rhymes better in their orginal form. Good that i got it cleared out that those sounded a little inappropriate in english.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2013, 01:30 PM by Red.)
10-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Yeah. Look at some of your favorite titles and try to find out why they are so effective. Having a title that looks and sounds pleasing is very important, but a good title is nothing if it isn't tied contextually or thematically to the book. In fact, it's happened to me several times, where I watched a movie or read a book or whatever with a title I found to be unappealing, that I ended up enjoying it immensely after seeing how it was connected to the story. There are many ways to come up with a good title but I find I generally favor more poetic ones.

Quick example is "A Game of Thrones", which is a title I like a lot. The meaning of "game of thrones" is quite obvious, and yet it is not just a mere description of what happens in the book. It does sum up the book in a way, but it is also connected thematically to the book in several ways. The title is obviously not very complex; you could have even called it something like "A Fight for Power" or even just "War", but the title "A Game of Thrones" is much more effective because while it says essentially the same thing it is much more evocative. Parallels are drawn between wars and games & thrones and power (also quite obvious) which not only manages to make the title intriguing but also manages to say much more than say "A Fight for Power" even though that title gives you more information contextually.

Even if you hate A Game of Thrones I don't think you can deny that it is a great title and one can learn a lot about thematic and contextual consistency in title making plus the importance of smooth syllabic flow and all that good stuff. If you want to go even deeper, entire books have been written about poetry that you would find useful (it can even help you become a much more interesting author - there is nothing worse than dry prosaic writing, except maybe forced uninspired poetry). I especially recommend Noam Chomsky's books and lectures. I have to admit I only have second-hand knowledge of them but his linguistics studies especially in the field of poetry are amazingly insightful, and much more in-depth than you probably thought was possible.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM by Bridge.)
10-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Personally, I wouldn't choose a name until the novel is finished. Then, think a lot about it and come up with a name that sums up the feeling of the book.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

(10-27-2013, 02:00 PM)Bridge Wrote: Yeah. Look at some of your favorite titles and try to find out why they are so effective. Having a title that looks and sounds pleasing is very important, but a good title is nothing if it isn't tied contextually or thematically to the book. In fact, it's happened to me several times, where I watched a movie or read a book or whatever with a title I found to be unappealing, that I ended up enjoying it immensely after seeing how it was connected to the story. There are many ways to come up with a good title but I find I generally favor more poetic ones.

Quick example is "A Game of Thrones", which is a title I like a lot. The meaning of "game of thrones" is quite obvious, and yet it is not just a mere description of what happens in the book. It does sum up the book in a way, but it is also connected thematically to the book in several ways. The title is obviously not very complex; you could have even called it something like "A Fight for Power" or even just "War", but the title "A Game of Thrones" is much more effective because while it says essentially the same thing it is much more evocative. Parallels are drawn between wars and games & thrones and power (also quite obvious) which not only manages to make the title intriguing but also manages to say much more than say "A Fight for Power" even though that title gives you more information contextually.

Even if you hate A Game of Thrones I don't think you can deny that it is a great title and one can learn a lot about thematic and contextual consistency in title making plus the importance of smooth syllabic flow and all that good stuff. If you want to go even deeper, entire books have been written about poetry that you would find useful (it can even help you become a much more interesting author - there is nothing worse than dry prosaic writing, except maybe forced uninspired poetry). I especially recommend Noam Chomsky's books and lectures. I have to admit I only have second-hand knowledge of them but his linguistics studies especially in the field of poetry are amazingly insightful, and much more in-depth than you probably thought was possible.
When naming novels, it's hard to find a title that rhymes and sounds good in both languages, but i think it would be good to come with separate name for separate translation.

EDIT: But you're making a good point there. Didn't read the whole stuff and got pretty confuced, but now i know your point. Thank you for your effort.

(10-27-2013, 02:04 PM)The chaser Wrote: Personally, I wouldn't choose a name until the novel is finished. Then, think a lot about it and come up with a name that sums up the feeling of the book.
If i get there. I thought it would be good to have something mind in advance.

EDIT: Sorry if it feels like i am continuously spamming these kind of threads, but i thought it would be good to have something more "developmental" in the set.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2013, 05:58 PM by Red.)
10-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

Well... I guess we'd really have to know more about the story to help you come up with a name for it.

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
10-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

Call it.. Dear Amnesia: A tale of two Sworcery and Plague
dont think about your god damn name right now
write it
then a name will probably just come to you
10-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Yep, it will, lately i've thought a name of "Corridor Of Chronos".
It's something mysterious and it has a certain role in a novel.
But it can change thuogh, it sounds cool atleast imo.Cool

The story is about world's end and afterlife in the planet called: Sedyn.
When humans arrived to this planet in (2037 AE), they noticed that they
aren't alone, and something more smarter and greater had already
populated this planet.
The race seemed friendly at firts, they gave mankind room to live,
traded their own inventions with them and told about their our
culture. But 12 years later (2037 AE), for some reason evertything turned upside down, the race started a war againt humanity in order to wipe away the whole mankind, and now humans must fight for their own existence.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2013, 01:40 PM by Red.)
10-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

(10-28-2013, 01:03 PM)Pyöveli Wrote: Yep, it will, lately i've thought a name of "Corridor Of Chronos".
It's something mysterious and it has a certain role in a novel.
But it can change thuogh, it sounds cool atleast imo.Cool

The story is about world's end and afterlife in the planet called: Sedyn.
When humans arrived to this planet in (2037 AE), they noticed that they
aren't alone, and something more smarter and greater had already
populated this planet.
The race seemed friendly at firts, they gave mankind room to live,
traded their own inventions with them and told about their our
culture. But 12 years later (2037 AE), for some reason evertything turned upside down, the race started a war againt humanity in order to wipe away the whole mankind, and now humans must fight for their own existence.

If you want to capture an audience, then give them real reason to hate those zip zap bopity boop aliens. Perhaps explanation as to why the war is even happening.
10-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Find