Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Idea: Unofficial Frictional Games Podcast
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: Idea: Unofficial Frictional Games Podcast

(11-02-2013, 09:09 PM)Robosprog Wrote: and now we just need a priest to turn it into a joke.

use me!

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
11-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(11-03-2013, 12:43 AM)Abraxas Wrote: I'm flattered, and I'd love to. Problem is I don't have the equipment to do so (and I'm a bit shy). But I could get the mic and stuff in a little bit. A bit of pre-prepared material would help tons.

Awesome! If you're willing to give it a go that'd be great Big Grin

I agree, pre-prepared material is a must. Maybe we should start working on the bones of a potential first episode, just to see what it will take and how best to prepare for it, structure it, etc.

Don't worry about being shy, there are plenty of podcasts out there with loud, obnoxious presenters, it'll be nice to have someone a little more reserved and self-conscious! The last thing we need is a PewDieCast XD

P.S. I also volunteer Ashtoreth, she's got a voice that could end war and cure depression Heart
11-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(11-03-2013, 01:30 AM)Paddy™ Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 12:43 AM)Abraxas Wrote: I'm flattered, and I'd love to. Problem is I don't have the equipment to do so (and I'm a bit shy). But I could get the mic and stuff in a little bit. A bit of pre-prepared material would help tons.

Awesome! If you're willing to give it a go that'd be great Big Grin

I agree, pre-prepared material is a must. Maybe we should start working on the bones of a potential first episode, just to see what it will take and how best to prepare for it, structure it, etc.

Don't worry about being shy, there are plenty of podcasts out there with loud, obnoxious presenters, it'll be nice to have someone a little more reserved and self-conscious! The last thing we need is a PewDieCast XD

P.S. I also volunteer Ashtoreth, she's got a voice that could end war and cure depression Heart

lol 'a little' self conscious. Anyway, this is exciting! Maybe those years of high school drama will come in use...
As for material, We'll need to do some digging to get enough for more than one episode. I'll look into mics. Unfortunately, I don't have much time in the way of writing.

11-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

• Mapping/Custom Story discussion

I could join in on a discussion of this, either by talking about my mod 'spacies' (http://www.moddb.com/mods/spacies ), modding HPL from my perspective/in general or in a discussion of how modding Amnesia has changed during my time on the forums and how the community grew (partly through let's players like cryaotic pewdiepie) - from early 2011 onwards. There are probably people better suited to discuss LPs, as I saw it from the perspective of a 'mod-maker' rather than a 'Let's player'.

Some ideas on how to arrange things:
I would suggest that the pre-prepared material is sent as bulletin points to 'the host' which then arranges them into a programme and dismisses unvalid topics. The host can then guide a discussion of the 'topics of interest' between (selected for that part of the episode) like-minded people, for example modders discussing modding - debating the topics which they felt were interesting to bring into discussion. The debaters are only aware of the topics/points sent in by themselves, which should keep it spontaneous while somewhat arranged within the topic at hand.

Of course everything wouldn't be done this way, there might be parts more alike 'interviews' - such as the describing of 'how to do a speedrun' etc.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-03-2013, 03:36 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(11-03-2013, 01:30 AM)Paddy™ Wrote: I also volunteer Ashtoreth, she's got a voice that could end war and cure depression Heart

... BlushBlushBlush

To be honest, I can't see myself doing something like this; I'm very shy and I certainly don't own the desired amount of eloquence and spontaneity to talk in a podcast.

Besides, I consider myself a casual gamer, so I don't really have that much knowledge to discuss the topics Paddy listed in the original post in an interesting way for the audience.

11-03-2013, 04:01 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(11-03-2013, 01:51 AM)Abraxas Wrote: lol 'a little' self conscious.

I hope I didn't make that sound like a negative thing, I think "self-aware" might have been a better choice of words! Smile

(11-03-2013, 03:36 AM)Acies Wrote:
  • Mapping/Custom Story discussion
I could join in on a discussion of this...

We'll hold you to that! Would you be willing to chat about it "on air" if we get up and running?

(11-03-2013, 04:01 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Besides, I consider myself a casual gamer, so I don't really have that much knowledge to discuss the topics Paddy listed in the original post in an interesting way for the audience.

The host doesn't necessarily need to know all of the info, they're usually briefed with talking points before the show starts and the guests do most of the talking. Everything else is largely scripted, or at least bullet-pointed. Do it do it!

I'm shyer than a wounded baby deer, so I'll be a behind-the-scenes guy haha.

I think we should brainstorm what each "feature" of the podcast will entail, then we can work on structuring the show and accumulating the requisite information for each part.

Spoiler below!
Opening the Show
  • Updates
    • The latest SOMA information, news about interviews/articles covering FG games and where to find them.
    • Information about any new patches, discounts, sales or recent technical support info for FG games.
    • Any news related to the podcast itself.

Custom Stories & Let's Plays
  • Completed or WIP CS discussion
    • A round-up of the latest or upcoming CSs, with info about their creators and where they can be found.
    • Cover well-respected CSs and their creators (White Night, The Great Work, etc.)
    • Interviews with the creators of finished/newly released CSs, talking about feedback they've received and what the process was like for them.
    • Regular interviews with CS veterans (like Traggey!) to get their insight into the process, maybe giving advice to beginners and the like.
  • Let's Play
    • A round-up of the latest let's plays, with info about their creators and where they can be found.
    • Interviews with Let's Players, covering everything from recording techniques to how to make money as a Let's Player to what they look for in a CS etc.
    • Speedrunning and its practitioners.

The Frictional Games Catalogue
  • Retrospective/Post-mortem (Games chosen chronologically?)
    • Discussing the selected game's development, history, reception, where to find it, etc.
    • Interviews with personnel involved with making the game, including writers, actors, artists, etc. Basically anyone we can convince to talk to us XD
    • Dissect the game's plot/story.
    • "Trivia" covering things which were cut from the final game, Easter Eggs, known glitches, etc.

Horror Games
  • Development and Philosophy
    • Talk about Thomas' blog posts, past and present, whatever they happen to say!
    • Interviews with horror game devs/critics, like FG themselves, Matt Gilgenbach, Chris Pruett, etc., or talk about what they've written/said elsewhere.
  • Current & Upcoming Games
    • Pretty self-explanatory! Include info about where to buy them, if there are pre-order bonuses/discounts, how well they've been received, etc.
    • Maybe discuss horror games through an FG lens. That is, talk about how games have changed and what FG contributed to that, how Resident Evil 1 might have turned out if it had been developed post-Amnesia, etc.

Just random ideas, feel free to tear them apart.
11-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

Yeah i like the idea of modders talking about their projects! I would definitely love to talk about music from Mikko Tarmia and that of other composers (including my own)

11-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

If you guys go through with this then I have a feeling that no matter how much you plan this, there will be problems or issues. Call it me being pessimistic, I call it being realistic. Podcasts can sometimes take up to 10-15 episodes before they find their way. A lot don't last more than 2 or 3 episodes either.

I love the idea of it though. It's undeniably cool for our community. From just a little experience of general skyping with some of you guys, I think we'd have to be on our best behaviour to make this worthwhile.

I reckon Traggey has the golden voice to host.
Probably best to keep the number of people to around 4-5 so it doesn't get too cluttered.
Definitely have pre-prepared topics or questions;
Basic questions such as how did you find FG's games, other favourite horrors, future ambitions etc.
You could ask some great questions to be honest.

Tech issues is likely to be the biggest issue as usual. Run some tests beforehand I suppose?

[Image: luv.gif]
11-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I feel you guys should at least do a pilot-type thing, just to see if it's viable and enjoyable to watch/listen to. I'm behind this 100%.
11-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(11-03-2013, 01:34 PM)Wooderson Wrote: If you guys go through with this then I have a feeling that no matter how much you plan this, there will be problems or issues. Call it me being pessimistic, I call it being realistic. Podcasts can sometimes take up to 10-15 episodes before they find their way. A lot don't last more than 2 or 3 episodes either.

I love the idea of it though. It's undeniably cool for our community. From just a little experience of general skyping with some of you guys, I think we'd have to be on our best behaviour to make this worthwhile.

I reckon Traggey has the golden voice to host.
Probably best to keep the number of people to around 4-5 so it doesn't get too cluttered.
Definitely have pre-prepared topics or questions;
Basic questions such as how did you find FG's games, other favourite horrors, future ambitions etc.
You could ask some great questions to be honest.

Tech issues is likely to be the biggest issue as usual. Run some tests beforehand I suppose?

I think you're being perfectly reasonable. It's good to get objections and such cleared up before they take us by surprise.

11-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Find