Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Strange symbols in TDD & AMFP
Sylzebub Tormentrix Offline

Threads: 1
Strange symbols in TDD & AMFP

I make a lot of screenshots of games ( especially Amnesia ). While looking through my albums I noticed the following:

This symbol in Amnesia: The Dark Descent
[Image: tumblr_inline_mvqqvoUXAw1r3e12x.jpg]

Is the same as this symbol on a grave in Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
[Image: tumblr_inline_mvqqwupYj81r3e12x.jpg]

What could this mean? As far as I know, these symbols are never mentioned in the games. Someone told me the symbol represents a sacred geometry and that it's often mentioned in occult books. What are your thoughts about this? Do you know what these symbols are supposed to be and why they're in both games?
11-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Strange symbols in TDD & AMFP

Most likely astrological and occult symbology.
I recognize some of the symbols: the Zodiac sign of Leo (♌), the Moon, and an inverted unicursal pentagram.
The symbol on the lower left corner looks like the alchemical symbol of phosphorus.

11-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

cant tell if you have noticed or not from your words so just to be certain let me highlight that the grave is the same model just burried into the ground, So I doubt theres a reason for it in aamfp other then recycling assets.
11-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Indeed, it's kind of ridiculous to use such symbology in a tombstone on a Christian graveyard, haha...

It made sense in TDD, but seems completely out of place in AMFP.

11-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

It's the same reason why the sketches from Justine were reused in Mandus' secret passageways. :p They have different meanings in different context.

It's likely some occult nonsense, which thankfully none of the games expanded upon. From what I recall, it appears in the deeper sections of Brennenburg as a hint at how ancient the castle truly is. Also remember that it starts appearing around the time you meet Agrippa and learn of Weyer the sorcerer.

In Mandus' church, it's likely a sign that Oswald is turning to long-dead spiritual beliefs instead of Christianity. Stained glass depictions of Aztec sacrifices and crucified pigs don't belong in a church.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013, 12:42 AM by Alardem.)
11-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

The pigs in the altar and the stained glass make sense in the context of the story of AMFP, as symbols of sacrifice, even if they don't belong in a church.

The astrology symbols in the tombstone probably have no meaning whatsoever, I think the developers just reused that asset as a way of saying "see, here's another connection with TDD".

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013, 04:19 AM by Ashtoreth.)
11-06-2013, 03:07 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(11-06-2013, 03:07 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote: The pigs in the altar and the stained glass make sense in the context of the story of AMFP, as symbols of sacrifice, even if they don't belong in a church.

The astrology symbols in the tombstone probably have no meaning whatsoever, I think the developers just reused that asset as a way of saying "see, here's another connection with TDD".

Exactly like how the pictures of naked people whipping each other is merely a reuse of Justine's assets, and couldn't possibly hint at Mandus being sexually perverse?

Can't be both, am I right?
11-06-2013, 05:49 AM
Find
Paralytik Offline

Threads: 0

Both the Penumbra-series and Amnesia are heavily inspired by the short stories and mythos by Howard Phillips Lovecraft, almost to a too-much-cheese level. Protagonists balancing on the brink of insanity when confronted by ancient and otherworldly apparitions/dreams/hallucinations or excavated artifacts from eons of time pre-dating recorded human history, rambling about impossible geometry, maddening gylphs and intruding dark forces pushing them into delirious, irrational behaviour. If you read pretty much anything by Lovecraft you'll see it's like a blueprint for Frictional Games. Tongue
11-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

It's just an easter egg guys.
11-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Find
Amnesia Gamer Offline

I didn' t know there was the symbol in AAMFP as well. Actually I do not know the meaning.

[Image: C1A63EC87DC0F3EF394264D7A9935357A482ED1B]
11-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Find