Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Depression
wolfmaster1231 Offline

Threads: 43
Information  Depression

I have noticed that a lot of my online friends and me are going through diffrent stage of depression. I can't put my finger on why i am depressed and what is causeing it but many says its beacause i'm starting to get into the older teenager years i don't really think that is the problem here. i mean i have been through a lot 2 years ago my mother died in cancer and that has taken a heavy inpact on my life. Some of my friends have the same problems as me at home and things just feels messed up. Huh

11-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Depression

I'm sorry you're feeling that way, and it sucks when people dismiss what you're feeling based on your age. Even if it were true, that doesn't mean what you're feeling shouldn't be addressed. Your feelings are valid and processing them is the best way to deal with them. Ignoring a problem frequently makes it worse.
It's important to accept that people deal with the same issues differently. How your friends react to a certain event doesn't mean you must react the same way.
And I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Perhaps you still have some feelings you haven't processed yet?

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2013, 09:57 AM by VaeVictis.)
11-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Yeah, don't let anyone downplay what you're feeling just because you're a young fella. When I was in my teenage years, going through this same shit, I constantly heard things like "depressed? What do YOU have to be depressed about? You have no worries!" as if depression only strikes people with phone bills and unruly children.

I honestly believe that many of the teenage suicides we hear about could have been avoided had the kids in question been taken seriously. It certainly contributed to my own suicide attempt when I was 18; the frustration and the anger of being ignored or trivialised by some of the people closest to me really made things more unbearable than they needed to be.

As to why you might be feeling this way, that's another matter. You really should seek out therapy if it's available to you. Even if you can't afford a private therapist there are lots of volunteer-staffed organisations which will give you the same kind of help, and the ones which charge you money will only charge you a fraction of what you'd pay a private therapist. Many of them even operate online, through email. You live in Sweden, so you shouldn't have to pay anything, but the waiting lists for therapy are probably very long. I'm in Northern Ireland, and I had to wait 9 months before I was seen by a shrink (on two separate occasions many years apart), and that was only because I accepted a trainee shrink (again, same on both occasions), otherwise I'd have been waiting even longer! It sucks being mental and poor haha.

Don't let anyone tell you to "get over it" or "pull yourself together", and don't let anyone make you feel like you're exaggerating or making a big deal out of something which "all kids go through". It's all bullshit.

You're doing the right thing by just asking for advice, it's a very positive step. Keep it up.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 01:03 PM by Paddy™.)
11-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Find
SchnidlersLeest Offline

Threads: 1

(11-08-2013, 11:14 AM)Paddy™ Wrote: I honestly believe that many of the teenage suicides we hear about could have been avoided had the kids in question been taken seriously. It certainly contributed to my own suicide attempt when I was 18; the frustration and the anger of being ignored or trivialised by some the people closest to me really made things more unbearable than they needed to be.

Yeah, if suicidal teenagers just weren't treated like shit it may have given them second thoughts on saying "Fuck you" to the world. It really reveals that those who were closest in physical proximity to you, who told you they loved you all through your life, really didn't give a shit about you, and that's incredibly shitty of parents or relatives.

I'm not going to generalize all parents, but a lot of parents tell their children that they love them so that they can control them when they're children, and even when they're adults. Most teenagers who tell their parents that they're depressed get mocked and scorned. It's disgusting.

Not to mention that it's being treated this way that leads to the depression in the first place.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2013, 12:10 PM by SchnidlersLeest.)
11-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Find
wolfmaster1231 Offline

On top of all this i live with another family atm so that just makes it worse.

11-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

sorry for your loss, i can't imagine how you felt that day...I don't know how i'd manage something like that.

Anyway we all have some points in our life where we get deppresed. My advice to you and those that are having hard time going through it is to find a hobby or do something that you enjoy. In my case it was dancing. It's good to distract your mind from all the negative thoughts, and on top of getting a hobby you should also look for positive reasons of life, the optimistic way. I know its cliche and easier said than done but its true, you should look at life optimisticly, there's no point in sitting in the corner and looking at everything with tears in your eyes. As yolo-ish as it sounds, life is actually really short, too short to go through it with suffering and tears.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
11-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

(11-08-2013, 01:38 PM)wolfmaster1231 Wrote: On top of all this i live with another family atm so that just makes it worse.

That's certainly rough. Can you speak openly to any one of them?
If things get too difficult, you can PM me. I'm going to bed soon, but I check back here often.

11-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Find
wolfmaster1231 Offline

(11-08-2013, 01:53 PM)Abraxas Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 01:38 PM)wolfmaster1231 Wrote: On top of all this i live with another family atm so that just makes it worse.

If things get too difficult, you can PM me. I'm going to bed soon, but I check back here often.

Things never really get to difficult for me reson is my big self confidence the things we do is to talk like every thusday but that nothing much.

11-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

(11-08-2013, 01:58 PM)wolfmaster1231 Wrote:

Things never really get to difficult for me reson is my big self confidence the things we do is to talk like every thusday but that nothing much.

I see. So when an opportunity comes up to talk, it's too short to be very substantial. Is that what you're saying?

11-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Find
wolfmaster1231 Offline

(11-08-2013, 02:05 PM)Abraxas Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 01:58 PM)wolfmaster1231 Wrote:

I see. So when an opportunity comes up to talk, it's too short to be very substantial. Is that what you're saying?
yeah i guess

11-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Find