Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

overture/linux: savefile messed up.
moramartin Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago overture/linux: savefile messed up.

Edit: Just realized that this post probably belongs in the Linux support forum. Feel free to move it for me. Thanks.

Hello. Just bought the game last week for linux. Great game. Love it.
However, just ran into some problems. Game crashed for me and killed my .cfg file. Turned it into a one-tag file which made no sense. Reverting back to the original, the game starts again, but upon chosing "continue..." the game crashes with the following error message:

Game Running
--------------------------------------------------------
ERROR: Couldn't load saved class file '/home/mora/.frictionalgames/Penumbra/Overture/save/auto/Old shafts 2008-09-29_19.36.51_84.sav' from Error reading Element value.!

The save file references is present and have size:

ls -l 'Old shafts 2008-09-29_19.36.51_84.sav'
-rw-r--r-- 1 mora mora 1040384 2008-09-29 19:36 Old shafts 2008-09-29_19.36.51_84.sav

Any known actions that I can do to make the game work again without killing all save files and playing from start?

I tried removing the file mentioned, but without luck.
I can attach the .sav file if needed.

--martin
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Find
Lysius Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: overture/linux: savefile messed up.

Can you load from one of the previous savegames?
In main menu use "Load game" and then choose "Auto saves".
What did you do directly before the game crashed?
09-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Find
moramartin Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: overture/linux: savefile messed up.

To be honest, didn't realize I could load older games. After I installed it I loaded it up and started playing right away. :p

Just before the savegame started to behave unexpectedly, I caused myself to die, which triggered loading of the last saved game. That put me into the "black screen/empty inventory" state, described below.

Anyway, the two last saves are messed up. The latest behaves as previously described. The one before that loads but all I get is a black screen with a crosshair. Inventory is empty and I can not do anything but press ESC. Both of these are from the same game area.

The saved game before that, however, does load. I guess I can continue from there.. I will report again if I run into the same problem. Could theoretically be a problem with the specific game area I guess.
09-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Find