Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Think the next game will require more?
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Think the next game will require more?

(12-16-2013, 07:54 AM)SnakesOnABoat Wrote: I think that AMFP removing sanity, lamp oil, and the inventory was a bad idea. I think it just makes the game more limited, and it takes away a bit. I don't think that removing those things added to the immersion at all.

They also removed all interactivity of non-essential objects. You can't pick up or interact with anything unless it's important. Angry
01-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Find
Rya.Reisender Offline

Threads: 1

(12-16-2013, 06:18 PM)The Mug Wrote: In my opinion there's nothing wrong with a game being easy, as long as it does not display that to you. Its about getting that feeling of challenge or danger, but not the challenge or danger itself. I think AAMFP made it a little too clear that you were not in danger when they smacked doors shut behind you and items were 1-2 meters from were they needed to be placed.

Its about finding that balance, not being too easy to feel handheld, and not being too hard to be annoyed or pulled out of the experience.
I fully agree with this. I really don't like too much danger in these kinds of games, but I DO like it if I THINK there is a lot of danger. ADD did that very nicely whereas in Penumbra I probably died more often than I thought I was in danger. AMFP was just "obviously not dangerous" and the sections where you died often (like that big room with the many pigs) felt more like a puzzle/stealth game than anything else.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2014, 03:10 PM by Rya.Reisender.)
01-31-2014, 03:10 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

AAMFP's website updated: http://www.aamfp.com

Looks very good now!
02-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

It has been like that (updated) for some time now. More than a month I think... Wink
02-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Find
ChromeHubcap Offline

Threads: 0

I started with ADD, since then I stepped back into Penumbra and am now onto AMFP, I'll admit I was kind of bummed out by the lack of sanity and oil and such, but I found the story was interesting non the less. While ot felt more like a very extensive mod for Amnesia I found it was well worth a play, and as a standalone game it is fantastic, just compared to the previous ones it felt a little shallow. However this new game they are working om SOMA looks like a brave new turn for them, I mean they are all technically sciemce fiction horrors, this next one seems like ot will raise the bar, quite like ADD did and also like Penumbra did when it was released.
02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

Threads: 17

In the case of Amnesia, each installment is meant to be it's own experience, as opposed to a part of anything larger. With AMFP, they decided to focus more on story than they did in TDD. So what?
Frankly, it bugs me when people hate on games that are more story-oriented. The point of gaming is escapism, and storylines help to further achieve that goal of playing. Then again, why should I be surprised when these same people who diss story-based games are also the type who usually say 'I don't read books' or complain that most of the written word is too complex for them to follow...

As it is, what did you expect when it was announced that FG was having someone else develop it? I knew right off the bat that it wasn't going to be the same as TDD was.

All of that being said, I love the game. But then again, I'm a writer, so story is a big thing with me.
As far as the other elements of the game go, I feel like it could use just a tad more action - or at least, force you to deal with the monsters more frequently, as thus far I've managed to miss a few encounters completely [because I'm apparently just that awesome at stealth lol] and there's been two cases in which the Wretch should have been able to spot Oswald, but somehow didn't... and the one time he was literally crouching out in the open a foot away from it xD. That's really the only criticism I have.
03-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Find
Tommyboypsp Offline

Threads: 10

(03-01-2014, 10:18 PM)ThatCrazyShaman Wrote: The point of gaming is escapism, and storylines help to further achieve that goal of playing.
I disagree. A lot of people play games for escapism, yet you see how some of the most popular games have barely or just no storyline at all. Look at these first-person shooters for example.
Also, TDD had a great storyline, it's just the immersion that AMFP is lacking. And I think.. I KNOW that this immersion helps with escapism.

(03-01-2014, 10:18 PM)ThatCrazyShaman Wrote: Then again, why should I be surprised when these same people who diss story-based games are also the type who usually say 'I don't read books' or complain that most of the written word is too complex for them to follow...
Wow there, calm down Lassie.
Saying that it's not as good as TDD isn't hating, lol.

(03-01-2014, 10:18 PM)ThatCrazyShaman Wrote: All of that being said, I love the game. But then again, I'm a writer, so story is a big thing with me.
Serious question: if you're a writer, and you can't deal with critisism on a game, then how are you going to deal with criticism on your own work?

Funderbunk Wrote:Playing Amnesia through to the end has increased the size of my genitalia exponentially and made me into a real man.
03-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

(12-16-2013, 06:18 PM)The Mug Wrote: In my opinion there's nothing wrong with a game being easy, as long as it does not display that to you. Its about getting that feeling of challenge or danger, but not the challenge or danger itself. I think AAMFP made it a little too clear that you were not in danger when they smacked doors shut behind you and items were 1-2 meters from were they needed to be placed.

Its about finding that balance, not being too easy to feel handheld, and not being too hard to be annoyed or pulled out of the experience.

Of course the painful truth is that players are often so different in skill, that it will take a long journey through testing hell to actually get close to it.
Been a while since I've posted here on the forums Heart

Well I didn't really get scared by the game. The mechanics of the "pigs" were so choppy that the only real panic moment was when I went in to make the photovoltaic acid to dissolve the lock. Then all of a sudden the corridors change and my brain struggles to make up an explanation for what is happening! Then I get back trough a series of doors that vanished once I looked around woooh what a race. The game is story telling the rest of the time and has annoying parts where you walk around without aim on iron platforms. Another thing that I found irritating was the fact that I had to read each and every note. Sure Philip didn't read anything to me in it's head but at least he gave simply commentary. Daniel read it all to me in his head. Daniel is such a nice guy when playing this game high Angel

Penumbra and TTD were such great horrors
10-07-2014, 01:06 AM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

Only more in content perhaps, in nothing else as AAMFP is vastly superior than its predecessors.
12-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Find