Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

ALIEN: Isolation
TwiK999 Offline

Threads: 5
RE: ALIEN: Isolation

Wait for the reviews I shall.

Steam ID: Yazite

Xbox Gamertag: Yazite
01-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Find
HorrorElementFilms Offline

Threads: 8

Personally, I'm hyped. This seems like a company that's taken a lot of inspiration from Amnesia, and games like it. It seems like the three games that will be on the main futuristic horror bandwagon this year, will be SOMA, Routine, and Alien: Isolation. I want to play all three now, and I can't wait.

Keep in mind, that with virtually no weapons, this game probably won't be anything like Colonial Marines, so I'm not nearly as worried as I know a lot of people are.

The last man on Earth stood in a room.
There was a knock on the door.
01-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Website Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

You do have weapons - at the very least, a flamethrower. The game may not be about mowing down hordes of aliens, but the character DOES have some means of defense. Which actually makes sense in a survival horror game, because even if it's not very effective a cornered human will try anything to keep alive.
01-12-2014, 05:32 AM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(01-12-2014, 05:32 AM)Alardem Wrote: You do have weapons - at the very least, a flamethrower. The game may not be about mowing down hordes of aliens, but the character DOES have some means of defense. Which actually makes sense in a survival horror game, because even if it's not very effective a cornered human will try anything to keep alive.

Defense, Or the simple and primal urge in all animals.
Stay away from fire.
Perhaps its ammo is limited and you can use it in short bursts to keep the one (they said there would be one general alien you were hiding from) at bay every once in awhile?

01-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Find
HorrorElementFilms Offline

Threads: 8

(01-12-2014, 05:32 AM)Alardem Wrote: You do have weapons - at the very least, a flamethrower. The game may not be about mowing down hordes of aliens, but the character DOES have some means of defense. Which actually makes sense in a survival horror game, because even if it's not very effective a cornered human will try anything to keep alive.

Yes, I forgot they mentioned a flamethrower, and I also heard you start off with a wrench. But if there's just one Xenomorph, than I'd heavily assume that you cannot kill it. Maybe deter it, but only that. And it would also make sense that even if you could use it, it would have negative impacts as well as positive. Perhaps, firing it up close could deter it, but firing from afar could lead it to your location.

The last man on Earth stood in a room.
There was a knock on the door.
01-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Website Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

If my understanding of the weapon mechanics are correct, they are just defensive weapons and you won't be able to kill the Xenomorph till the game lets you (if at all).

The wrench is going to be used for environment interaction and to add to the atmosphere. If you are cornered you will probably have the gameplay option to whack it with the wrench before dying. So it's a sort of a useless last stand weapon which some players use before dying haha. At least that's how I see it.

The Flamethrower will probably work like it does in the movie so HorrorElementFilms has it correct. Flamethrowers are short range weapons, so using it from afar will make you known to the Xenomorph while doing nothing to make it go away.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 04:08 AM by Cuyir.)
01-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

It looks like Penumbra or Amnesia + Aliens to me.
Look like frictionals no weapons + puzzles method was a good choise,
everyone is copying it and don't know is that a bad thing.
And in the end, the growth of these games are thanks to most popular genre on youtube, let's players.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM by Red.)
01-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

While Black Plague was innovative at the time for eschewing its combat system, combat still has its place in horror games. A balance needs to be struck between empowerment and believability - Amnesia and Soma both feel a little odd because at no point do you find in the castle/sci-fi laboratory for lacking any usable swords, guns or items that can otherwise hurt your opponent. Sometimes one can go too far and end up with a game where your character's complete unwillingness to even strike back becomes distracting.

The Silent Hill games have horrible combat, which I personally dislike because they also have no stealth mechanics to compensate. However, if the protagonist gets cornered, I'd at least like the option in a horror game to use their fists or pea-shooter to ineffectually flail out before getting slaughtered.
01-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Find
Jakob Rosenblatt Offline

Threads: 9

For those who haven't seen it. There is also a gameplay video:

Alien: Isolation (Gameplay)
01-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I'm very impressed. Can't wait for it to come out.
01-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Find