Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a monster in blender?
RedKnight Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
Creating a monster in blender?

Is it possible to create a monster in blender? I planned to create a custom monster but i think it will take weeks to create animations.

But....... is it really possible?

02-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Creating a monster in blender?

Sure you can create a monster, as a model. But I'm not really sure if Blender animations actually work in Amnesia yet. (I think someone got a simple rig to twist and turn, but I'm not sure about ragdolls or character armatures)
02-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Find
Juras Offline

Threads: 2

Yeah it is very possible to make a custom monster, I made quite a few myself. I wouldnt use blender to model it though, or atleast to sculpt it. Best way to make one is to sculpt and polypaint the high poly model in Zbrush, then retopo it there and UV unwrap it using blender and render all the maps with Xnormal. Thats what worked best for me atleast and its what gave me the best results. Of course knowing anatomy and having expierence with sculpting and texturing will help alot. When it comes to animating it could take about a week if you know how to do it and done it before, but it could take longer since there's always problems when exporting. You have to use maya (2011 or 2008) if you want the animations to work in HPL2. Making monsters is very different from making hard surface props and requires alot more skills outside using a 3D software. But if you want to make one I don't see why you shouldnt try, that's how you learn after all Smile I'll be making a tutorial article on making good looking monsters after me and my team are done with the project we're working on (In Lucy's eyes) so if you want you can wait till then. But I know there are few other tutorials on atleast the animation part.

Co-Founder & Lead Art Director of Red Line Games
3D & Environment Artist, Animator
http://jurasbatas.deviantart.com
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2014, 09:27 AM by Juras.)
02-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Find
RedKnight Offline
Posting Freak

(02-07-2014, 11:32 PM)Juras Wrote: Yeah it is very possible to make a custom monster, I made quite a few myself. I wouldnt use blender to model it though, or atleast to sculpt it. Best way to make one is to sculpt and polypaint the high poly model in Zbrush, then retopo it there and UV unwrap it using blender and render all the maps with Xnormal. Thats what worked best for me atleast and its what gave me the best results. Of course knowing anatomy and having expierence with sculpting and texturing will help alot. When it comes to animating it could take about a week if you know how to do it and done it before, but it could take longer since there's always problems when exporting. You have to use maya (2011 or 2008) if you want the animations to work in HPL2. Making monsters is very different from making hard surface props and requires alot more skills outside using a 3D software. But if you want to make one I don't see why you shouldnt try, that's how you learn after all Smile I'll be making a tutorial article on making good looking monsters after me and my team are done with the project we're working on (In Lucy's eyes) so if you want you can wait till then. But I know there are few other tutorials on atleast the animation part.

Zbrush is money.

03-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(02-07-2014, 11:32 PM)Juras Wrote: Yeah it is very possible to make a custom monster, I made quite a few myself. I wouldnt use blender to model it though, or atleast to sculpt it. Best way to make one is to sculpt and polypaint the high poly model in Zbrush, then retopo it there and UV unwrap it using blender and render all the maps with Xnormal. Thats what worked best for me atleast and its what gave me the best results. Of course knowing anatomy and having expierence with sculpting and texturing will help alot. When it comes to animating it could take about a week if you know how to do it and done it before, but it could take longer since there's always problems when exporting. You have to use maya (2011 or 2008) if you want the animations to work in HPL2. Making monsters is very different from making hard surface props and requires alot more skills outside using a 3D software. But if you want to make one I don't see why you shouldnt try, that's how you learn after all Smile I'll be making a tutorial article on making good looking monsters after me and my team are done with the project we're working on (In Lucy's eyes) so if you want you can wait till then. But I know there are few other tutorials on atleast the animation part.

Incredible. Um can you tell me how in the hell you guys make the monsters without the poly NOT skyrocketing? I used lots of modifiers and the poly went to 60.000.
[EDIT]: Okay, NOT that high. But it got to the point that my computer started to lag. Lightly, not heavily.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2014, 03:46 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
03-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Find
Juras Offline

Threads: 2

(03-23-2014, 03:43 PM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote: Incredible. Um can you tell me how in the hell you guys make the monsters without the poly NOT skyrocketing? I used lots of modifiers and the poly went to 60.000.
[EDIT]: Okay, NOT that high. But it got to the point that my computer started to lag. Lightly, not heavily.

Umm why would you use a modifier? The way monsters are made is you first make a sculpt (the high res model), poly-paint it. Then you retopoligize the sculpt manually (basically creating polygons on top of your sculpt) with good topology. And lastly you render the normal, vcol(the poly-paint), ambient occlusion and the cavity map from your high poly sculpt and your 5-10k poly mesh will look as good as the high poly sculpt Big Grin. There are slightly different ways of making monsters but this is how it works best for me and gives me the best results Tongue

Quote:Zbrush is money.
Can't get Zbrush? Get the free student version of Mudbox Tongue You can get the same results with it if you really wanted to. I just prefer the Zbrush tools and UI.

Co-Founder & Lead Art Director of Red Line Games
3D & Environment Artist, Animator
http://jurasbatas.deviantart.com
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2014, 05:51 PM by Juras.)
03-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

Yes it is possible, but I doubt that very much that without any modelling knowledge you are going to create a monster model within a few weeks. ;/
03-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Find
RedKnight Offline
Posting Freak

I will never do that, i am gonn learn myself how to model. I will not create a monster within a few weeks. Wtf are you even talking about?

03-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-25-2014, 08:31 AM)Tesbull Wrote: I will never do that, i am gonn learn myself how to model. I will not create a monster within a few weeks. Wtf are you even talking about?

I think he meant that you are talking about making a monster in a few weeks (or months) but without knowledge of modelling, then it will probably take you 1/4 of a decade (That's 2.5 years).

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Find
RedKnight Offline
Posting Freak

I did not meant modelling but that will take wekks OR months to animate. Wich i am not going to do.

03-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Find