Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fandom Gruff ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ) UNFLIPPED THREAD
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: Random Stuff

did someone say... catchy?

i feel guilty, better go ahead and delete my history now

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
05-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(05-27-2013, 10:33 PM)Dogfood Wrote: did someone say... catchy?

Heeyyy!!! That's a band from my country! Awesome!

Oh god.. the lyrics... Did kids listen to this?

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 10:45 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
05-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(05-27-2013, 10:43 PM)BeeKayK Wrote:

Heeyyy!!! That's a band from my country! Awesome!

Oh god.. the lyrics... Did kids listen to this?

yup, i even remember my 9 year old cousin singing this Sad

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
05-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(05-27-2013, 09:57 PM)Danny Boy Wrote:

Are you fucking kidding me? I happen to have a nostalgia urge towards Dumbo's Pink Elephant Parade, And this happens!!! He evens mentions a pink elephant at 10:35!

People... I think my subconscious is able to see the future.

(Besides it fits perfectly the theme of your conversation!)

I disagree with him on earworms being due to unresolved conflict. Actually, I think it's the complete opposite. When we hear engaging music, we want to repeat it over and over in our heads in order to "understand" it. When we finally do, it loses its magic and simply becomes irritating. Therefore, earworms are the result of becoming too familiar with a melody that we enjoyed earlier.

When a recurrent melody starts to annoy me, to me it's a signal that I need to shift focus to a different melody, which often means finding new music.

Honestly, and this is just a side note, some of the VSauce videos have convinced me that it doesn't hurt to maintain a healthy level of skepticism when watching his channel. I've noticed that he has a tendency to present things out of context. It's a popular resource, after all, designed to entertain while maintaining a sufficient, but sometimes not scientific, level of reality.

Lol... that song is awesome. Seriously. Big Grin

^(;,;)^
05-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(05-27-2013, 10:23 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 09:44 PM)Bridge Wrote: All jokes aside I disagree slightly in that catchy is bad because it gets stuck in your head. I have Beethoven playing in my head basically all day and am not annoyed because it isn't annoying music. I sing along to basically everything I listen to, even 12 tone music. But I agree with the general idea you were trying to relate.
That reminds me... apart from classical I have always had an affinity for genres and songs that would fit right into the category of "catchy, therefore annoying" music. I particularly enjoy electronic genres.

I think you're right. Now that I think about it, it's not the catchiness that matters, but the idea that the music proposes. The fresher the idea seems to you at the time of listening, the more stimulating the music becomes. And the more beaten the idea, the more annoying it becomes. At least, that's how it is for me.

For example, I regularly cycle between Baroque and Romantic music. I used to cycle between orchestral and electronic. I get annoyed if I listen to one piece, one composer, or even one genre for too long. In this respect, I still prefer classical music in general to other genres due to how long-lasting it can be. It's like the "slow food" of music. It takes longer to take in, but lasts longer as a result. Yeah, basically, I consume music like a hungry insatiable beast. Tongue
This is exactly what I do. I enjoy listening to Bach's Prelude and Fugues from his Well-tempered Clavier, but not so much his other pieces. I also really don't like any other Baroque composers. For the most part, though, I listen to the romantic era, with very, very high emphasis on a certain pianist whose name looks like shoppin'.

[Image: p229xcq]
05-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-27-2013, 11:16 PM)Chronofluff Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 10:23 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 09:44 PM)Bridge Wrote: All jokes aside I disagree slightly in that catchy is bad because it gets stuck in your head. I have Beethoven playing in my head basically all day and am not annoyed because it isn't annoying music. I sing along to basically everything I listen to, even 12 tone music. But I agree with the general idea you were trying to relate.
That reminds me... apart from classical I have always had an affinity for genres and songs that would fit right into the category of "catchy, therefore annoying" music. I particularly enjoy electronic genres.

I think you're right. Now that I think about it, it's not the catchiness that matters, but the idea that the music proposes. The fresher the idea seems to you at the time of listening, the more stimulating the music becomes. And the more beaten the idea, the more annoying it becomes. At least, that's how it is for me.

For example, I regularly cycle between Baroque and Romantic music. I used to cycle between orchestral and electronic. I get annoyed if I listen to one piece, one composer, or even one genre for too long. In this respect, I still prefer classical music in general to other genres due to how long-lasting it can be. It's like the "slow food" of music. It takes longer to take in, but lasts longer as a result. Yeah, basically, I consume music like a hungry insatiable beast. Tongue
This is exactly what I do. I enjoy listening to Bach's Prelude and Fugues from his Well-tempered Clavier, but not so much his other pieces. I also really don't like any other Baroque composers. For the most part, though, I listen to the romantic era, with very, very high emphasis on a certain pianist whose name looks like shoppin'.

No love for Vivaldi or Scarlatti harpsi sonatas? Btw Bach's lute suites and suites for unaccompanied cello are mind-blowing. You wouldn't even think they were Baroque pieces, they are hundreds of years ahead of their time.

EDIT:

Particularly this:

Man, this piece is so transcendent.

To say nothing of his fantastic organ works, the famous Air on the G string (from one of his Orchestral Suites), his toccatas for harpsichord, works for oboe d'amore and the list goes on endlessly. I actually bought his complete works (160 CDs!!!) and still have only imported about 20 of them so far. I think you should give him more of a chance, his music is great.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 11:33 PM by Bridge.)
05-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

Not a fan of the lute to be honest. I don't have any problems with the instrument, I just can't feel the emotions behind its music for some reason. Maybe it's because I'm a pianist and that is the instrument I'm most accustomed to. When listening to that Lute suite, I feel mainly calmness and tranquility, but that's about it.

I've listened to Bach's orchestral compositions and I find them to be decent, but I'd much rather listen to symphonies by Schubert or Beethoven. The problem I have with a lot of orchestral pieces from the Baroque era is that they just feel too calm and monotone (but still leaps better than the monotone pop music today, of course). Or maybe I just haven't listened to enough Baroque pieces yet. Yes, I have tried Vivaldi, and I do think he's the best Baroque violin composer so far.

Bach's toccatas are okay on the organ.

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2013, 12:01 AM by Froge.)
05-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Don't like Bach's orchestral music much either, but I still don't understand what you mean about not feeling the emotions. Nylon string guitars* have a naturally soft timbre just like the harp so if you like percussive instruments more then I guess I don't know what to say. It's not really that calm or tranquil in my opinion, it's quite somber.

* The particular video is of an arrangement for 8 string nylon and not a lute, but the lute version is equally great.

Check out this fantastic harpsichord toccata:

And of course the cello suites I was talking about, here's the first suite. You've probably heard the first piece, it's quite famous:

Last attempt:

How can you not love it?
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2013, 12:20 AM by Bridge.)
05-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

wow ok so this happened

I'm not saying I don't like "deeper" or "more intelligent" music (solol) cause a lot of stuff I listen to has been categorized like that by pretentious dick weeds. My point is the reason there's different genres of music is cause it's near impossible to find one "sound" that can cover the whole spectrum of different musical ideas and emotions out there (and yes that includes classical), and these differences between them convey different emotions that fit different situations and moods better. Sitting back at like 2 am and listening to an oppressive drone album through nice headphones can be an incredibly intense and amazing experience on it's own, but I'm not gonna fucking listen to that sort of stuff at a party or driving down the highway on a sunny day. No, then I'm gonna put on something fun and energetic, like for example pop.

This is why I can't understand people who only listen to one genre of music or only look at one or two characteristics of music that makes it good (lolchrono). And if you legitimately think that you're more intelligent or cultured or really superior to anyone in anyway because you think your standards for good music are more advanced in some way then you can fuck right off. There is no such thing as objectively good music or objectively good taste in music (why the hell do you think the term taste in music even exists). If anything I honestly just feel bad for you guys considering you're missing entire different aspects of music cause of your standards.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2013, 01:11 AM by Kman.)
05-28-2013, 01:05 AM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Without shit, there would be no difference. All i'm adding to this.

[Image: luv.gif]
05-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Find