Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Simple Or Less Simple Question Related To Writing.
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
Simple Or Less Simple Question Related To Writing.

I am asking you, writers, readers, whatever you are:
What is the best tense to write a book?
Past or Present tense?
I am currently using present, i've written over 70 pages, so i think, i won't be intending to change it just now, but is there something particular between these two, which could make it inferior or superioir compared to each other? So superior that it would be better to write in that tense instead?
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 02:25 PM by Red.)
04-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Simple Or Less Simple Question Related To Writing.

I think it depends on the book, if the story is more effectively conveyed in present tense then that's probably the one to choose. And vice versa.

From my own experience, past tense is very effective storytelling device, as in actually writing something that feels like a story, while present tense is very effective when conveying an experience, because when writing with present tense you're "in it" rather than listening to someone else saying they've done it, if that makes sense. But then again, it completely depends on the writer, there's no right or wrong way, best or worse way, use the one you're comfortable with and the one that you feel that you can utilize your writing skills the best.

I for example write in past tense the most because I can utilize my way of wording better in past than when I write in present.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 03:38 PM by eliasfrost.)
04-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

i prefer past, probably a lot easier too

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
04-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

I've hear so many people saying the same.
I hope that fact won't decrease the enjoyment or make things more complicated.
So far, i have liked writing in present, but i haven't tried writing in past too much, so i don't actually know which one i would prefer.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 06:23 PM by Red.)
04-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Find