Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things you like and hate in Horror Games.
Nikson. Offline

Threads: 22
Question  Things you like and hate in Horror Games.

I decided to make this thread because I want to hear what people like or hate so I and other people can improve.

In Amnesia I loved the music and the sounds, that sense of immersion and that the monsters weren't being showed clearly and there was that sense of mystery.
I hated that you couldn't see the character, that was a little immersion breaking but for else it is a great game.

In Outlast I loved everything, the story the enemies but the best thing was that the enemies were really patrolling the place, unlike Amnesia where they were scripted. I loved that you could hide under beds and that the enemies actually looked under beds and in the cabinets. I didn't really like that they didn't keep that sense of mystery.

What do you think about these games or about others?

[Image: fnaf3_by_maybeanothercat-d8flfz4.gif]
05-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Things you like and hate in Horror Games.

(05-07-2014, 07:51 AM)NiksonX Wrote: I hated that you couldn't see the character, that was a little immersion breaking but for else it is a great game.

This was a huge immersion improvement for me.

I didn't have played a lot of horror games. The only ones I played are Penumbra & Amnesia series, and Silent Hill 1-3.

I also played Scratches, Dark Fall: Lost Souls, Darkness Within and Call of Cthulhu (if it's a horror game).

They were all fantastic, just dislike the annoying camera of Silent Hill.

Outlast and Daylight coming soon...
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2014, 05:52 PM by Googolplex.)
05-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Find
Nikson. Offline

Threads: 22

(05-07-2014, 05:45 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(05-07-2014, 07:51 AM)NiksonX Wrote: I hated that you couldn't see the character, that was a little immersion breaking but for else it is a great game.

This was a huge immersion improvement for me.

I didn't have played a lot of horror games. The only ones I played are Penumbra & Amnesia series, and Silent Hill 1-3.

I also played Call of Cthulhu, but I didn't think that's a horror game. It's just an adventure based shooter with elements of horror.

So I'm writing about Penumbra, Amnesia and Silent Hill. They are all perfect, I just dislike the annoying controls and camera of Silent Hill.

Outlast and Daylight coming soon.

I think you misunderstood, I didn't mean seeing the character in 3rd person, but seeing it in first person like Mirror's Edge or Outlast.

[Image: fnaf3_by_maybeanothercat-d8flfz4.gif]
05-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(05-07-2014, 05:51 PM)NiksonX Wrote: I think you misunderstood, I didn't mean seeing the character in 3rd person, but seeing it in first person like Mirror's Edge or Outlast.

No, I thought about a mirror.
05-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

I like mysterious things like locked doors and something that is made by our imagination. I was so immersed when playing amnesia that when i saw a door that wont budge, i wondered "what's going on in there" instead of "oh lol there's nothing behind that door"

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
05-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(05-07-2014, 06:25 PM)Dogfood Wrote: I like mysterious things like locked doors and something that is made by our imagination. I was so immersed when playing amnesia that when i saw a door that wont budge, i wondered "what's going on in there" instead of "oh lol there's nothing behind that door"

Oh yeah. This is a good point. Locked doors, but when you hear noises on the other side you will know there's something behind.
05-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Freaking 8 notes shit. Fuck that.

Things I like? In general: A world that feels much larger than the game, but is still mysterious. A compelling reason to put up with this shit.(Revenge is a good one, not like most games "you're a reporter!") And the end game needs to be in some kind of hellish environment. AAMFP Didn't do this very well. "OOOH blood n pig fucking" it was like Dead Space in the subtlety. TDD was more like "Here are these rooms we used, and now you get a memory of the people screaming, because YOU WERE THERE."

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
05-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(05-07-2014, 08:24 PM)Ghieri Wrote: Freaking 8 notes shit. Fuck that.

Things I like? In general: A world that feels much larger than the game, but is still mysterious. A compelling reason to put up with this shit.(Revenge is a good one, not like most games "you're a reporter!") And the end game needs to be in some kind of hellish environment. AAMFP Didn't do this very well. "OOOH blood n pig fucking" it was like Dead Space in the subtlety. TDD was more like "Here are these rooms we used, and now you get a memory of the people screaming, because YOU WERE THERE."

you sound angry

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
05-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

I like games where you can feel like the character that you're playing, I think I don't really have to give an example xP Also environment interactivity is always + for me, Penumbra and Amnesia did it absolutely marvellous, I also like some good ambience, you know, some random whispering sounds, a bit of some other sounds. Lighting is also very useful at the atmosphere point, Amnesia shows it pretty well, especially in the study and the archives, they give kinda awesome library feeling making me to want sit here, take some relax before grunt catches me and read some old, interesing tomes. Another good point are puzzles, while they should be made very good and be creative, they shouldn't be that hard to make player stuck at every puzzle you encounter.

I do not like games where monsters just spawn everywhere, or after picking up any sort of item, pathetic jumpscares (flying naked guys, indeed) that are pissing me off as hell. Another point I hate are notes/journals/etc that do not make sense or completely suck, such as 1/3 amnesia mods notes - "If you read this i'm dead, oh shit grunt is coming hide in the closet". The moments where something scaries me and my character suddenly talks "oh fuck!" also make me angry (Daylight for example)
05-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(05-07-2014, 09:06 PM)Dogfood Wrote:
(05-07-2014, 08:24 PM)Ghieri Wrote: Freaking 8 notes shit. Fuck that.

you sound angry

Rushed.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
05-08-2014, 04:05 AM
Find