Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia for me?
DragonLeo Offline

Threads: 1
Amnesia for me?

Hello everyone.

I am 14 years old and I was wondering if Amnesia is a hugely disturbing/horrifying game. I understand that the game is rated "M" however I have played other games in the category such as Skyrim, COD, Bioshock, and Fallout 3. I am quite "mature" and I firmly understand the difference between a video game and reality, and would never try to replicate anything negative within a video game. On the other hand I have never played a "Horror" game (unless you include FO3 and Bioshock in the category) and much less never watched a horror movie. I wanted to know if Amnesia is really as bad as people claim it to be? Im also planning on recording my reactions and doing a commentary. Huh Thanks
08-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Amnesia for me?

Amnesia is horrifying and disturbing. Amnesia is good as a game but in real life it's actually quite horrible. There are horrible events through voices, blood, nudity (males only), and generally gore.

Amnesia sometimes can be traumatizing so sometimes you shouldn't play it for a while and resume. Take rests.

But you're 14 so hopefully you can go through and didn't get traumatized or something. Heck I played it when I was 12 and I didn't get traumatized (yet)!

QUICK EDIT:
I won't really recommend recording a commentary during your first run if you really want to get the best from the game as commentaries really detract you from the immersion. But it's your call man.

If you want to make a Let's Play or as you said recording yourself playing it and you want to post it, then post it in the Let's Play Forum Section, not here.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 05:07 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
08-15-2014, 05:04 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

If you've never watched a horror movie or played any horror games, beware that Amnesia is one of THE most scary games. Of course this depends on opinion, but generally Amnesia has gotten it's reputation for a reason. It's not like a shooter game with adrenaline-type fright. It's more actually terrifying. It can get very intense.

Some of the key points that make Amnesia rated as such a scare game include the fact that you can not fight back enemies, the music and atmosphere will sink you into the environment and the story is rather disturbing. Of course I recommend this game if you want to get scared, but it's obviously not for everyone.

As for let's plays, I have mixed opinions. Sometimes it can be very distracting, yes, but that depends on how much you are really trying to engage the audience instead of yourself. It is possible to play the game as if you aren't recording, which usually gives off better impressions. But yeah, it's probably best to do on your own so you won't miss important aspects, although it depends on each person.

PS: Games like Skyrim are rated M / 18+ because they have to be. Violence is like that. This, however, is not necessarily just violence. It's actual fear which many younger people deal poorly with. Tread carefully if you wish to play it. If you feel like you can, then sure; I'd recommend it.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 05:53 AM by Mudbill.)
08-15-2014, 05:51 AM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

You say you haven't watched any horror movies, so you'll probably just fear-quit pretty quickly. But you'll be fine, it's not gonna traumatize you. It might traumatize a 5-y-o child, but not a teen, c'mon.
08-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Find
TwiK999 Offline

Threads: 5

(08-15-2014, 10:04 AM)Mechavomit Wrote: You say you haven't watched any horror movies, so you'll probably just fear-quit pretty quickly. But you'll be fine, it's not gonna traumatize you. It might traumatize a 5-y-o child, but not a teen, c'mon.

It traumatized me when I was 15! I used to have frequent dreams about the game it was so bad. Now I'm a bit older (18) I have gotten over it.

Steam ID: Yazite

Xbox Gamertag: Yazite
08-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Find
DragonLeo Offline

I wanted to do kind of a lets play commentary on it for the sole reason that it was known as one of the scariest horror games. If that kind of detracts from the "experience" wouldn't that make it a little less scary? Also are the scares just jumpscares? I also wanted to record it to see my reactions to said jumpscares. If you guys think it may be too traumatizing to someone of such a low caliber (like me) can you please suggest another game that can kind of prepare me for a game like this , but not as scary?
08-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

The game has jumpscares, however are very well done and spaced out. It's more the psychologic (the mental) fear that Amnesia creates which makes it so impressive and successful as a horror game.

Like, it actually makes you refuse to go into the dark areas, because bad things happen - rather than the sudden monster appearance behind you in a corridor Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
08-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Find
DragonLeo Offline

BTW is there some sort of pointer? Like something that shows you the direction to go? Something that prevents constant backtracking?
08-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(08-15-2014, 04:42 PM)DragonLeo Wrote: BTW is there some sort of pointer? Like something that shows you the direction to go? Something that prevents constant backtracking?

There is backtracking in Amnesia - however somewhat minimal.

Without trying to spoil too much, the game has three main levels called hubs. These levels branch off to make more levels for the player to explore, each hub containing one major puzzle. To solve that puzzle, you need to explore the various environments, not necessarily in a particular order in some cases, but it is in all means solvable.

There are some cases where backtracking is prohibited however.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 04:49 PM by Romulator.)
08-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Find
DragonLeo Offline

Also (going off track here) would i be able to run the game fast with a capture software on:

Intel i7 3632-QM 2.2ghz processor
AMD Radeon HD 7700M series
4 gb RAM

(its a laptop)
08-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Find