Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA
Juras Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia

Damn, that's some nice anatomy. Nice sculpt for such a short time. Did you poly-paint whithin those 20 min too? Smile

Co-Founder & Lead Art Director of Red Line Games
3D & Environment Artist, Animator
http://jurasbatas.deviantart.com
03-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

Oh man! Gorgeous! Some people just have the talent that others don't.
They won't reach it never even by studying! You really are gifted person.
03-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Damn, I need me some zBrush. Shit's expensive. :I
03-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(03-03-2014, 08:15 PM)Red Wrote: Oh man! Gorgeous! Some people just have the talent that others don't.

thats a pretty shitty way to think about things

anyways i finally downloaded 3ds max and have been watching like a 10 hour tutorial on it so you guys can expect some incredibly basic and terrible looking stuff from me in here in a few months probably

Posting Freak
03-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Website Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

(03-04-2014, 06:58 AM)Kman Wrote:
(03-03-2014, 08:15 PM)Red Wrote: Oh man! Gorgeous! Some people just have the talent that others don't.

thats a pretty shitty way to think about things

anyways i finally downloaded 3ds max and have been watching like a 10 hour tutorial on it so you guys can expect some incredibly basic and terrible looking stuff from me in here in a few months probably

That's just the truth, there are people who lack imagination,
and never learn from things.

EDIT: And that's my way of thinking, so don't expect anything remarkable.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM by Red.)
03-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

if you keep that way of thinking then you're never going to accomplish anything

i could be wrong but if i remember right traggeys been modeling for 5 years (??? either way i know its been a very very long time). i can bet you a hundred bucks his first few models probably looked like shit in comparison to what he makes now

my point is while yes to a certain extent i think some people are more gifted at different things that doesn't mean shit. you might take longer to learn something or have a harder time grasping an idea but you can get there either way and holding yourself back with this idea of "natural talent" isn't going to get you anywhere. maybe it would take you 10 years to get to the point where you could do something like that, but its possible

if you need any proof, i don't think i've posted a screenshot in the screenshot criticism thread in the last 6 months that didn't result in like 3 people going like OH MY GOD IM CUMMING MY PANTS SO BEAUTIFUL and not really getting any actual criticism aside from a few minor details that needed to be tweaked maybe

wanna see what my first map looked like

Spoiler below!
[Image: Se64x89.png]

so drop that mindset cuz its not going to get you anywhere

(this got very off topic i apologize i just wanted to make a point)

Posting Freak
03-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Website Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

(03-04-2014, 10:09 AM)Kman Wrote: if you keep that way of thinking then you're never going to accomplish anything

i could be wrong but if i remember right traggeys been modeling for 5 years (??? either way i know its been a very very long time). i can bet you a hundred bucks his first few models probably looked like shit in comparison to what he makes now

my point is while yes to a certain extent i think some people are more gifted at different things that doesn't mean shit. you might take longer to learn something or have a harder time grasping an idea but you can get there either way and holding yourself back with this idea of "natural talent" isn't going to get you anywhere. maybe it would take you 10 years to get to the point where you could do something like that, but its possible

if you need any proof, i don't think i've posted a screenshot in the screenshot criticism thread in the last 6 months that didn't result in like 3 people going like OH MY GOD IM CUMMING MY PANTS SO BEAUTIFUL and not really getting any actual criticism aside from a few minor details that needed to be tweaked maybe

wanna see what my first map looked like

Spoiler below!
[Image: Se64x89.png]

so drop that mindset cuz its not going to get you anywhere

(this got very off topic i apologize i just wanted to make a point)
Maybe you're right, it's more about are you eager enough to learn and are you motivated enough to keep it up, i learned something again, or atleast on this aspect. I've always been pretty pessimistic thinker, since i have never accomplished anything big in my life.
03-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(03-03-2014, 07:54 PM)Juras Wrote: Damn, that's some nice anatomy. Nice sculpt for such a short time. Did you poly-paint whithin those 20 min too? Smile

Yeah I did, however the only real colour I've put on there were on the lips, it's pretty flat otherwise.

And about the above topic! I would say it's all about your motivation and the enjoyement your get out of doing what you do, if I didn't love making art I would have never gotten anywhere near to where I am, I wouldn't have been able to push myself every single day as I tend to do.

I don't think it's much about people not being able to learn as quickly, it's all passion baby!

Also, Zbrush is incredibly cheap compared to most other modeling software, and it includes all future updates so you'll never have to pay again.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2014, 12:16 PM by Traggey.)
03-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

If zBrush is too expensive, one can always use Sculptris by the same developers: http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

/////////////////////////////////////
03-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Website Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Ha, all I have ATM is this quick mock up of a level I build on the weekends.(Work and sleep take the other days. XD)

Engine is UDK.

The big circle thing will be a vault thing that you have to open. EDIT: Screenshot is out of date, but the only real change is that the stair case is half as wide. There is also some stuff you can't see in that room.
[Image: Dwm%202014-02-28%2003-15-24-96.jpg]

Current segment of the level mapped out:
[Image: Dwm%202014-02-28%2004-20-26-66.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2014, 08:04 AM by Ghieri.)
03-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Find