Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia

(12-22-2012, 08:11 AM)Statyk Wrote: I hope they're placeholders D: You can do better than that!

Also, are you going to give dat piece of ship an AO bake?

There are actually a lot of details on the textures which you can't see from that distance. I plan on making most of it a dark black with this being the specular.

There probably will be an AO bake, but I'm not sure. If you look at the texture map I have, it's actually pretty detailed. Maya just makes it look like crap.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
12-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Dat spaceship.... Me likes it!
12-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Once the diffuse is finished; normal, specular and cubemap will give the ship a totally different look. Custom made particles(?)/effects (= jets, however unreal in space) for the engines will bring it up a notch as well.

I feel that you are tormenting yourself with the UV layout you have ;D Good luck!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

12-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Spoiler below!
[Image: wip_3_by_crisosphinx-d5p2m8o.png]
1080i (?) Quick render! Big Grin Unfortunately, the textures don't show up HD, really... I guess that's what 2048 ^2 does? IDK.

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
12-24-2012, 04:58 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Thats starting to look more like a organic being rather than a artificial construct... and I don't think thats a good thing here.
12-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Website Find
crisosphinx Offline

(12-24-2012, 05:31 AM)Danny Boy Wrote: Thats starting to look more like a organic being rather than a artificial construct... and I don't think thats a good thing here.

INCOMING SPOILER, WATCH OUT DANNY

Spoiler below!
[Image: meh.jpg]

12-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Criticism! Who gives a shit about it right?!
12-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Website Find
crisosphinx Offline

(12-24-2012, 01:40 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Criticism! Who gives a shit about it right?!

Well, it wasn't constructive criticism. I made it look like it was wet, but the screenie didn't show the full "wet" look to it. I'm just saying meh, because it doesn't look organic.

If you critiqued me, I would've like to have heard something a long the lines of this:

Spoiler below!
"The bottom engine-thing is too dark, it needs some brighter colors. The texture is not high def enough, what is causing that, can you fix it? It seems to me that the glossiness of the ship is probably too much, to me, it looks too wet, nearly slimy. I suggest you tone it down." etc.

To which, I would reply:

Spoiler below!
"The spec map on this ship is actually pretty good. I made the metal look shiny; however, I'm having problems with some of the rust areas being too shiny. I kind of wanted to make it look wet because it will be broken apart in UDK on an island. The textural quality of it can't be better until I figure out why Maya is rendering it badly. My texture map is 2k x 2k and it still looks like crap. I'm not real satisfied about it."

To which, you could reply with:

Spoiler below!
"How about you change the color scheme of the ship? It looks completely ruined, which may be a good thing, but you should spend the extra couple hours and make it look like paint is tearing off."

What you did was, "this looks bad" and didn't provide any reason to it. That's not criticism, that's just you insulting my work without providing rational critique. OR if it IS criticism, it's not constructive like I previously mentioned (take it however you want). It'd be like you posted a door and I just go, "Hey Danny, your door doesn't look like a door, it looks like a organic wooden construct that won't open due to organic matter preventing it from opening." <- Seriously, what the fuck?

12-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

If I had a penny for every time someone got insulted over a comment, the earth would sink into Oblivion.

Seriously, ignore them. You don't start screaming and kicking a random person just because they insulted you out in public. Ignore them and move on.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012, 04:42 PM by Rapture.)
12-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(12-24-2012, 04:37 PM)Rapture Wrote: If I had a penny for every time someone got insulted over a comment, the earth would sink into Oblivion.

I wasn't really insulted. He was insulted that I said "meh" to his "critique". I'm just saying, if you're going to critique my work, at least bash it to hell with the critique, no wimpy shit like "it looks bad".

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012, 04:42 PM by crisosphinx.)
12-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Find