Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Internet is ruining the performance of the computer
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82
Internet is ruining the performance of the computer

So, just a couple of days ago, my whole computer got very low computer speed. It made my Desktop freeze, my internet crash, and even offline games. So, with alot of cleaning scrap files, using virus programs (such Malware and Advanced Systemcare) and alot of testing around of what the issue could be.

So what I figured out was that when I had to disconnected my internet and Google Chrome closed, it works perfectly. Everything is just how it was before. Performance is perfect.

So I'm guessing I somehow managed to get in a virus that requires internet and is working non-stop to lag the computer. Does anyone know where these type of files can exist in the computer files?

Derp.
11-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
RE: Internet is ruining the performance of the computer

Check if some specific .exe file opens or starts cpu usage, as you open up an internet requiring application, from the task manager, if you haven't tried already.
11-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

From what evidence you have provided, you seem to have a Worm. Worms self replicate, eating CPU, attaching themselves to files and when possible, become transmitted over the network. While not requiring a network to function properly, they work much better with one running.

You mentioned that you have already scanned your computer; if you have not done so, scan it with Malwarebytes. This thing will get rid of practically anything which could potentially cause problems. It is best to install MalwareBytes in Safe Mode.

Some viruses are also smart enough to know if MalwareBytes is running and kill the scan or startup process as soon as it begins. You can get around this easily by renaming MB's exe to something like "not_a_virus_scanner.exe" or something.

You could also check Google Chrome's add ons, if you have any. Enabling/Disabling some may also provide a performance boost.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
11-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

Red: I will try this when I get back home.

Romulator: I will attempt the Malwarebytes then, pretty sure tho I have already scanned with it, so I will try to rename the application as you suggested (again, when I get home).

Derp.
11-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Definitely a virus/spyware/rookit/warm or similar. As suggested, use Malwarebytes for starters. Make sure you select to also scan for rookits at it's settings once installed. In case the virus is blocking it, it has a Chameleon feature if I remember properly which address such issues.
11-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

Well, I used the MalwareBytes and it found around 20 problems. None of them seemed to belong though to the laggy internet, as it didn't make much difference. It's slightly quicker, but with some lag spikes sometimes.

I also went into the AppData folder and cleared out any scrap files or addons that were downloaded along with other files. Now it of course made my computer quicker, but the internet problem still seem to remain. I changed the name of MalwareBytes as Romulator suggested, but it seems like the "worm" have escaped it.

And as Red suggested, I checked through the Task Manager. I'm quite noob at that device so I didn't really know what I could stop and start. But I didn't find anything out of the ordinary still.

And the only Add-ons I have on in Google Chrome is Adblock, Norton Security and Skype Click to Call.

Derp.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2014, 08:44 PM by Neelke.)
11-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

Did you check the "show procesesses from all users" box?
Often, if something is causing violation, it should show there with higher CPU usage percent count.
How far your CPU monitor hits at idle? And how far, when using a browser, for instance?
11-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Here's an image from my Task Manager. Just so you can see what to pay attention to, I marked some areas. Click the show all processes like Red said, then sort it by CPU usage. You can also see the usage down at the bottom. If you find something with a really high usage, check the process name and possibly description. That will at least give you a hint to what is causing it. It might be a good idea to google that process name; often that will give you information about this virus unless it's brand new.

[Image: hFAryeL.png]

11-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Find
Neelke Offline

Alright, I'll look around with that. If this doesn't work either, I guess the best idea is to just grab on the most important files to my Terabyte-disk and reset the computer. I've been looking around everywhere with 6 anti-virus programs on hours end. I've emptied the unimportant files from AppData folder and cleaning out pretty much everything that I don't need. Nothing has improved the internet, only the computer itself.

But I'm in school again, so I cannot try this for a while.

Derp.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2014, 08:47 AM by Neelke.)
11-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Be careful transfering the files to your external disk. The virus can follow if it's attached to the files.
If you already have files on that disk, they might get infected too. But this sounds like it's pretty much bound to be a new virus if 6 antivirus softwares aren't picking it up.

What if it isn't a virus after all? Maybe it's caused by some program bug or resource leak from something you're running. Perhaps a faulty system setting. I found this thread here that might suggest it being a bad driver:
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-shari...ernet.html

Actually, reading further it seems to be caused by McAfee NetGuard. Do you have that installed as one of your 6 antivirus softwares by any chance?

11-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Find