Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How have you changed in the past 3 years?
MrWhitticus Offline

Threads: 9
How have you changed in the past 3 years?

We tried this activity in school the other day and I wanted to see how well it'd apply here.

Discuss how you have changed over the past 3 or so years. It can lead to some interesting conversations.
Any regrets? Do you think you're better off? Post below.

*Careless Whisper saxophone solo*
11-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Website Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: How have you changed in the past 3 years?

I used to be very easily controlled because of my need to help others or make them happy, and so I would often do things I didn't really want to, hoping it be a good thing. Most of these were just small tasks, like lending money to random classmates or fetching things, but I kinda let myself get bitched around. I didn't mind it much back then, but later it started to really get to me.

Even today I still give in sometimes, if I know the other person really appreciates it, but I don't try to do meaningless things in hopes of being liked. I know now that it doesn't really matter nor help to do such, and it sometimes just ruins things.

I still like to help people, but I have found other ways. It's more meaningful to do things if they aren't done very often. By that I don't mean that I refrain from helping someone too much (although I do prefer if I can help them help themselves), but that I won't give them what they expect, if what they expect is too much for me. I have been guilt-tripped many times and now whenever I feel like I am, I try even more to not give in. I don't want to be pushed around anymore, but at the same time I don't want to seem like I don't care...

But in a sense that's how it's become. I do care, but I don't show it and I don't think about it. If someone close to me asks about something personal, I'll try to avoid it or reply short. If I think about it, things generally just get worse for me, but sometimes when I don't, they tend to do anyway if the one who asks really want me to...

Whoop-de-doo x.x

11-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

I am a lot more critical towards myself, others and our world. As a result, I'm very bitter on the inside but portray a facade of happiness on the outside.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
11-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

Overall, better. I know how both university and having a job is like. I can control my thoughts more and manage emotions better. Also, my goals are well defined and I'm steadily moving towards them. I have more diverse friends and generally enjoy social activities more.

[Image: p229xcq]
11-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Hmm I would be turning 16 so in the last year of school...

I don't actually think i've altered too much since then, I mean, I know a lot more about what I study now compared, but back then I had only really just decided what I wanted to do.

Ooo that reminds me, I wanted to learn programming, turns out that when I studied it for a year I realized it wasn't for me so I learnt about giving up on a wish.

Back then I was more closed minded too I guess...

[Image: luv.gif]
11-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

I indeed have thought a change in my life, but the strength of that assumption fades away by what the reality has to show: I am still as silent, still as unsocial, still make as less sense sometimes.
Those are the aspects of my grown character and I cannot change them, no matter what I do.
The things, which can be proved, however, are more likely to my appearance: I can now grow a beard -woohoo - to cover the ugliness of my face and I've gain a little weight. But In the end, I can say that nothing has changed, only the age by 3 long years. As others of my age are living their lives, I am on my eternal search for it. I belong to that desperate cast.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2014, 06:03 PM by Red.)
11-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

(11-26-2014, 05:59 PM)Rött Wrote: I indeed have thought a change in my life, but the strength of that assumption fades away by what the reality has to show: I am still as silent, still as unsocial, still make as less sense sometimes.
Those are the aspects of my grown character and I cannot change them, no matter what I do.
The things, which can be proved, however, are more likely to my appearance: I can now grow a beard -woohoo - to cover the ugliness of my face and I've gain a little weight. But In the end, I can say that nothing has changed, only the age by 3 long years. As others of my age are living their lives, I am on my eternal search for it. I belong to that desperate cast.

What are you searching for? There's no correct life to live.

11-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

(11-26-2014, 06:11 PM)Froge Wrote:
(11-26-2014, 05:59 PM)Rött Wrote: I indeed have thought a change in my life, but the strength of that assumption fades away by what the reality has to show: I am still as silent, still as unsocial, still make as less sense sometimes.

What are you searching for? There's no correct life to live.

Whatever the people say it to be: get social, have friends, have a girlfriend, own a car, etc etc = life.
I do agree with your principle, yet people keep saying get a life, since my life isn't living by majority's standard apparently. But I don't care, I am somewhat pleased how things are going on currently, although things could be better, more to those standards.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2014, 06:52 PM by Red.)
11-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

It's very easy to feel an outcast, but I think it's important to remember that no one in the world really conforms to that normality. Everyone has problems and no one talks about them regularly as doing so would break the "normality" they've built around them.

I think the best way to define your life, if you're already financially stable, is to pick up a hobby or work that you're passionate about. It can be as divergent and mundane as you want just so long as you dedicate enough of yourself to it that you can be proud of what you create in the end.

Writing a novel probably works for you.

11-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

It depends what gets my interest next. I've been struggling with writing recently, motivation has all went down, for numerous reasons.
11-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Find