Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Just a couple plot questions... [spoilers]
Bob Saget Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Just a couple plot questions... [spoilers]

Ah okay, I think I'm understanding the Clarence thing a lot more now. But some other questions/oddities arose.
Spoiler below!
Why does Phillip tell his friend to kill the Tuurngait, instead of destroying the facility like it asked? It was infecting people for self defense only, and it seems to like humans, no? And also, why did Howard kill himself after hearing the Tuurngait's story? It wasn't all that powerful...
06-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

Starting with the more obvious one if I remember it right Howard didn't kill himself. He went into the "Tuurngait dreamland" that you go into right before the end, but either the Tuurngaits mind was so powerful that he died from communicating with it or he failed the tests and died.
Why Philip tells us to kill the Tuurngait is a bit trickier, but I believe it's because of simple human anger. He's angry at the Tuurngait for killing his father. Either that or it has something to do with "not making the same mistake twice", not letting the Tuurngait live like his father did. I can't remember exactly, but I believe it has been discussed before and it had something to do with the texts he writes to the player/whoever recieves.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
06-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Find
Renegade_ Offline

Threads: 2

that reminds me of another plot-anomaly:
Spoiler below!
If the Turngaait can manipulate Phillips mind, why was it not able to predict/know that Phillip's intentions were to kill it. Surely, an all-knowledgeable being would be smart enough to monitor Phillip as he wrote the e-mail and prevent him from doing or saying anything destructive. Phillip claims the e-mail reached the surface, but is he that naive? Surely the Turngaait would not allow it..
Unless perhaps it did know Phillip would send the e-mail, and perhaps knew that more would come to investigate afterwards, giving it more hosts to infect....
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2009, 09:12 AM by atiwoes.)
06-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

(06-19-2009, 09:12 AM)Renegade_ Wrote: that reminds me of another plot-anomaly:
Spoiler below!
If the Turngaait can manipulate Phillips mind, why was it not able to predict/know that Phillip's intentions were to kill it. Surely, an all-knowledgeable being would be smart enough to monitor Phillip as he wrote the e-mail and prevent him from doing or saying anything destructive. Phillip claims the e-mail reached the surface, but is he that naive? Surely the Turngaait would not allow it..
Unless perhaps it did know Phillip would send the e-mail, and perhaps knew that more would come to investigate afterwards, giving it more hosts to infect....

Firstly the Tuurngait don't "manipulate" Philip, just cause hallucinations from what I remember.
As to why the Tuurngait couldn't predict Philip wouldn't tell... well, neither could I. I bet most people didn't see the "Kill them all" ending coming. People are unpredictable and after having had a pretty long chat with Philip, plus him passing all tests, I guess the Tuurngait simply relied on him. Perhaps the Tuurngait didn't know what the computer was for or what it could do (or perhaps it simply couldn't read). Unless we see a sequel I guess we will never know if the Tuurngait knew about Philips intentions or not. It is possible that he changed his mind in the very last moment aswell, making it even harder to predict.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
06-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Find
Aliennoffe Offline

Threads: 18

Well, Penumbra is like that- mysterius! And he was there more than twelve hours, he THOUGT that before it all happened.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
06-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Find
Renegade_ Offline

(06-19-2009, 09:02 PM)Kedjane Wrote: Firstly the Tuurngait don't "manipulate" Philip, just cause hallucinations from what I remember.
As to why the Tuurngait couldn't predict Philip wouldn't tell... well, neither could I. I bet most people didn't see the "Kill them all" ending coming. People are unpredictable and after having had a pretty long chat with Philip, plus him passing all tests, I guess the Tuurngait simply relied on him. Perhaps the Tuurngait didn't know what the computer was for or what it could do (or perhaps it simply couldn't read). Unless we see a sequel I guess we will never know if the Tuurngait knew about Philips intentions or not. It is possible that he changed his mind in the very last moment aswell, making it even harder to predict.

Incorrect on many accounts:
Spoiler below!
It does manipulate Phillip, as did it Howard. The Turngaait's illusions are mental manipulations that encourage Phillip to help.

Neither you nor I saw the ending coming because it is, quite frankly, illogical. The Turngaait is a collective intelligence existing before man and knowing infinitely more than man; it can infiltrate and posses man's mind, yet somehow it cannot predict or intercept their intentions? right...

During the final e-mail, you can see as the walls disappear around Phillip... seems kind of familiar, no? Like a Turngaait illusion...? Hmm, after so much investment into Phillip, wouldn't you think it to be prudent for the Turngaait to stick around in his mind and make sure he did it's bidding?
Surely, unless he was naive, it doesn't make sense for Phillip to reach the conclusions that he did (I'd like to think that Phillip=me=not naive).
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2009, 06:59 PM by atiwoes.)
06-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Find
Aliennoffe Offline

Threads: 18

Excuse me, what do you mean?

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
06-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

(06-20-2009, 06:57 PM)Renegade_ Wrote:
(06-19-2009, 09:02 PM)Kedjane Wrote: Firstly the Tuurngait don't "manipulate" Philip, just cause hallucinations from what I remember.

Incorrect on many accounts:
Spoiler below!
It does manipulate Phillip, as did it Howard. The Turngaait's illusions are mental manipulations that encourage Phillip to help.

Neither you nor I saw the ending coming because it is, quite frankly, illogical. The Turngaait is a collective intelligence existing before man and knowing infinitely more than man; it can infiltrate and posses man's mind, yet somehow it cannot predict or intercept their intentions? right...

During the final e-mail, you can see as the walls disappear around Phillip... seems kind of familiar, no? Like a Turngaait illusion...? Hmm, after so much investment into Phillip, wouldn't you think it to be prudent for the Turngaait to stick around in his mind and make sure he did it's bidding?
Surely, unless he was naive, it doesn't make sense for Phillip to reach the conclusions that he did (I'd like to think that Phillip=me=not naive).

What are you saying? That it was naive of Philip to doom the Tuurngait? That's what happened though, isn't it?

Worst regards, Kejdane.
06-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Find
Renegade_ Offline

(06-21-2009, 01:02 PM)Kedjane Wrote: What are you saying? That it was naive of Philip to doom the Tuurngait? That's what happened though, isn't it?

That's what I'm wondering...
Spoiler below!
It's naive of Phillip to think that he has bested the Turngaait; that it would allow him to do something against its will. There's never any confirmation (other than what Phillip thinks), that the message actually made it to the surface, or that anyone has since destroyed the Turngaait.

It's more likely that:
a) while Phillip thought he passed the Turngaait's test, really the whole end sequence was still part of the test (as you can see by the fact that illusions still occur, i.e. the walls disappearing). Ultimately he fails it, and remains imprisoned in his mind forever (this would actually explain the later illusions of Requiem).

b) Phillip's e-mail did make it to the surface - but only because the Turngaait wanted it to. Perhaps it anticipates more "victims for the slaughter"...
06-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

For your part B:
Spoiler below!
Bony dehumanizations would not stand a chance against an M4.
06-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Website Find