Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Gfx problems with Overture, Radeon HD 3400 mobile
grib Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Gfx problems with Overture, Radeon HD 3400 mobile

Hi, I bought the 3 games on the Super Special Deal and am trying to get them running smoothly. I have a Thinkpad T400 with the dual chipet (Intel integrated plus Radeon discrete, "HD 3400 Series" is what X reports) running Debian unstable amd64.

Overture works fine, if slowly, under the Intel chipset. But I wanted to up the gfx quality and speed a bit so I installed fglrx.

The 9.5 version of fglrx wouldn't run overture at all... black screen and dead server. Debian just released 9.6.4 and it will run overture. However, there are some gfx problems.

When I got it running the first time I loaded my saved game from the Intel sessions. I was in the mines, pretty early on, in the "storage room" level. With fglrx, I could see the floor (sort of, textures not right) and the jets of steam but everything else was black.

I thought maybe the issue was some saved renderer state, so I quit and moved .frictionalgames aside and restarted. With the default high gfx settings the ship-cabin scene looked OK, but when I lowered the texture qual to medium and set a few other lower-quality settings the textures went crazy, "dancing" on the surfaces of the objects.

The only thing even remotely tricky I did was regarding the Cg toolkit. I couldn't get an ia32 version to install using the Debian ia32 tools, so I just downloaded the kit from nvidia and installed them myself under lib32. Could that be a problem?
07-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Gfx problems with Overture, Radeon HD 3400 mobile

the patch that I am working on should help address issues with ATI's later drivers. (It's a similar issue that windows users have seen).

As for Cg.. I'll be including an updated version in the patch so no need to install it on your system.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
07-31-2009, 05:23 AM
Website Find
grib Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Gfx problems with Overture, Radeon HD 3400 mobile

Thanks for your response. I appreciate that you guys are still patching and supporting a game that has been on the market for a good long time... I'm a Linux s/w developer for a living and I know what a PITA in can be to revisit stuff that is long in the can!

Looking forward to your patch...
07-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Find