Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

I honestly can't wait for SOMA, but from a creative point of view, I'm just as excited about the new assets we'll have access to, as I am for the game. Honestly, imagine the custom stories that could come from this and all the new scripting nightmares we'll have to worry about when developing! It makes me giggle with excitement, even if my own custom mod wasn't super fantastic, haha.

A lot of people are saying that SOMA is essentially an Alien: Isolation clone, but I really don't see it. Sure, there's the technology aspect to think about, but I see zero similarities besides the fact that both games are set in universes with more advanced technology, and even at that, the technologies are both so vastly different. That and in one game their's a vicious, acid-bleeding monster out to get you, while in the other there are disfigured robot-beings with blood lust in their monitors and garbled words spewing from their processors.

I still have no clue what this game will entail, despite doing research, watching the file item's on the official site, and seeing the trailers, so whatever this game is, is going to blow my mind no matter what. I'm really excited that we're only a couple months away, and I don't know if I'll be able to keep myself from watching any of the youtubers who get the game before any of us, because let's face it, it'll happen, haha.

Super stoked!

07-27-2015, 01:24 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Another shameless view-whoring pseudo-journalist game site is teasing an upcoming interview with Thomas about SOMA, complete with an appropriately clickbaiting title:

SOMA Has Been Inspired By Doom 3, Bioshock, Spec Ops: The Line & Silent Hill
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/soma-has-b...lent-hill/

07-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Pfft haha

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
07-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

Ughhh I want a steam page already

This forum is dead
07-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11

Yeah, that's click-bait per usual. Teasing an interview and name-dropping other high-profile games in the title to get hits.

Still interested though. It's always refreshing to hear devs give out some of their insights into what they drew inspiration from and why. Though it's infuriating when "game sites" like this turn that into some kind of out-of-context pissing match, where casual readers of titles will think "hey, that guy is comparing his own game to Bioshock, Doom 3, Spec Ops and Silent Hill? What a nerve!" Which is of course not at all what was the point of bringing those games up.

But alas, that's the state of the world.
07-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

Little thought I had in my mind:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent + Amnesia: a Machine for Pigs = SOMA?

This forum is dead
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2015, 08:49 PM by TiManGames.)
07-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

(07-29-2015, 08:48 PM)TheTieMan Wrote: Amnesia: The Dark Descent + Amnesia: a Machine for Pigs = SOMA?

[Image: tumblr_mdp40fTecZ1r9a0t2.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2015, 09:58 PM by A.M Team.)
07-29-2015, 09:57 PM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11

(07-29-2015, 08:48 PM)TheTieMan Wrote: Little thought I had in my mind:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent + Amnesia: a Machine for Pigs = SOMA?
Sorta makes sense to me.

The Dark Descent was focused solely on gameplay and creating an immersive interactive experience for the player. But it didn't really carry much of a narrative or storyline.

A Machine for Pigs was focused solely on the narrative and storyline. The gameplay and interactive experience however was not a priority and thus the player wasn't as immersed in gameplay.

With SOMA, Frictional has stated they want to keep the immersive interactive experience while adding focus to narrative and complex idea storytelling. Sounds like the want to combine the best of both worlds, which seems like a Win to me. Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2015, 10:18 PM by PathOS.)
07-29-2015, 10:18 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

SOMA - official cover art
http://sethnemo.deviantart.com/art/SOMA-...-550219591

From that talentless hack, DavidS Cool

/s

07-31-2015, 06:17 PM
Find