Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

(09-06-2015, 09:57 PM)PathOS Wrote: Yeah, A Machine for Pigs went all out with telling the story and not showing it. Perhaps too much since having people read so much text may be off-putting. That said I did like the stylized loading screens and cryptic poetic text in each of them.

But since SOMA is said to have no loading screens, I am very curious to see just how the storytelling is going to work. It's only two weeks away so it won't be much longer to wonder Wink

That's not really true. There wasn't too much text to read - mostly to listen. Unless you played with subs on and no sound Tongue

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Find
stef Offline

Threads: 0

Quote:In preparation for the release of SOMA, here is another philosophical conundrum:

A scientist, holding a wrench, stands in front of a small robot. As the scientist raises the wrench, the robot whimpers and backs off. It looks scared. The scientist brings the wrench down on the robot and it cries out. The robot desperately tries to crawl away, but it's no use. The scientist hits it again. After having struck it twice more, the robot stops moving. "Don't be alarmed," the scientist says. "It's just a mechanical robot, made out of silicon and metal, that's wired to act like this. It can't possibly feel pain".

A scientist, holding a wrench, stands in front of a small kitten. As the scientist raises the wrench, the kitten whimpers and backs off. It looks scared. The scientist brings the wrench down on the kitten and it cries out. The kitten desperately tries to crawl away, but it's no use. The scientist hits it again. After having struck it twice more, the kitten stops moving. "Don't be alarmed," the scientist says. "It's just a cellular organism, made out of flesh and bone, that's wired to act like this. It can't possibly feel pain".

Holy moly, that's weird. I thought animals can feel pain. Dumb me Smile
09-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Find
Sampyli Offline

Threads: 2

That scientist sounds like a psychopath Tongue

E: What's the difference between a person and a robot who thinks it's a real person? Could a robot feel pain? Is there a difference between hurting / killing a conscious robot and a human / an animal? What about morality?
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015, 04:31 PM by Sampyli.)
09-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Animals feel pain, but robots not.
To say animals won't feel pain is just laughable.

Animals are biological organisms while robots are artificially objects built by mankind. No robot would be able to feel real emotions like love, fear or pain. And no robot would even be able to young witnesses by having sex with an other robot.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015, 04:26 PM by Googolplex.)
09-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Find
Juri Offline

Threads: 1

I just wanna ask. Is this game gonna have GAMEPLAY(i mean eq, health and other things like medium-hard puzzles in Amnesia The Dark Descent) or will it be totally garbage like in Amnesia Machine for The Pigs ? Anyone know it ?(maybe betatesters or creators ?)
09-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(09-07-2015, 04:23 PM)Juri Wrote: I just wanna ask. Is this game gonna have GAMEPLAY(i mean eq, health and other things like medium-hard puzzles in Amnesia The Dark Descent) or will it be totally garbage like in Amnesia Machine for The Pigs ? Anyone know it ?(maybe betatesters or creators ?)

You call Pigs garbage? This game has the best story of all media.
09-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Find
Juri Offline

Threads: 1

(09-07-2015, 04:24 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(09-07-2015, 04:23 PM)Juri Wrote: I just wanna ask. Is this game gonna have GAMEPLAY(i mean eq, health and other things like medium-hard puzzles in Amnesia The Dark Descent) or will it be totally garbage like in Amnesia Machine for The Pigs ? Anyone know it ?(maybe betatesters or creators ?)

You call Pigs garbage? This game has the best story of all media.

Yea it has best story, but gameplay was none. I mean is this gonna be interactive movie or game ?
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015, 04:26 PM by Juri.)
09-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(09-07-2015, 04:25 PM)Juri Wrote: Yea it has best story, but gameplay was none. I mean is this gonna be interactive movie or game ?

More gameplay. Even more than Descent.
09-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4

Yeah, I think Frictional have really perfected the Gameplay/Story arc in their games.

The Gameplay is the story, in essence.
09-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

(09-07-2015, 04:25 PM)Juri Wrote: Yea it has best story, but gameplay was none. I mean is this gonna be interactive movie or game ?

For what I saw more like interactive movie. No hud also gives sense of immersion like you're really there. Don't know will it be inventory system?
09-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Find