Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best thing about Custom Stories?
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
Thumbs Up  What is the best thing about Custom Stories?

I want to ask as much people as possible on what is their favorite part of Custom Story making! If you can, write a minimum of a paragraph explaining what you love and why you love it!

For me, I LOVE MAPPING! Angel Since I love to draw I am a very visual type of guy. I do write my own scripts but what I love is to make a huge castle hallway or add different set pieces. I usually spend about 2 weeks per map if I'm invested enough. I also like the little details in certain maps too! There is one request that I would have to start a map from scratch for a person writing for a CS. At first I was a bit worried that it would look crap and play like arse. Now, I find it easier to make a map from scratch rather than help decorate another persons' map! But I would still do it, don't think I only work from scratch! Big Grin

Hope to get replies! Cool
06-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

RE: What is the best thing about Custom Stories?

Overall, I enjoy exploring the creativity aspects of putting together a CS; which I will likely never release. In terms of developing, I like trying to throw together different assets or scripts to create something either different or unusual - something which while I cannot model, can create with pre-existing entities and static objects.

Some small things I have done in the past;
- A portrait with a 45° beam behind it to become a bedside photo
- Various wood formations to create shelves within a cupboard
- A crowbar with a "hook" extension to 'grab' (scripted) areas for the player to progress
- To avoid 'combining' items, I'm working on a crafting table for a small project I'm doing
- Retexturing small things for my own benefit

I've also done a buggy as all hell swimming mechanic which I will not work on again as SOMA may incorporate better physics or even an ability to swim.

And of course, I like putting together skyboxes. I'll scour the internet and throw some together as a resource for people to use later this week.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
06-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Find
LordOfDragons Offline

Threads: 14

Well, to be honest, i mostly love mapping because i love the assets of Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.
I don't know why but its cool to build your own levels with them. Im not a fan of castlebases etc. and the other maps you see in TDD.
Not saying i didn't like playing the original Amnesia (Because i did and couldn't sleep for one week), i mean i prefer the assets from AAMFP ._.
Scripting isn't really my thing, the only things i could script would be the easy "key opens door" or "Monster spawns with item" things.

So i guess it's more mapping than scripting and the possibility to let your creativity free roam.

The question that will never be answered:
SOMA WHY ARE YOU SO BEAUTIFUL? ;_;
06-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Concepts. Lots and lots of concepts.

And scripting them. Making the concepts, and scripting them, and seeing the results.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2015, 04:00 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
06-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Wow! So much replies! Keep it up! Big Grin

So far we have:

2 Mappers (Me and Lordofdragons)
2 Scripters (Romulator and Flawless)
1 Concept Person (Flawless)

I wonder if Traggey will reply... Wink
06-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

In case no-one guessed, I like changing the mechanics of the game. I also like to make models, textures and whole new environments, although I've not released anything like that to date.

06-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

Mapping. Scripting. Writing. Everything is beautiful about modding.
06-15-2015, 07:20 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

I love seeing my vision come true.
This includes writing, mapping and scripting, although I have to say that I prefer scripting and storywriting.

Mapping is totally awesome, it's pretty much most important part of Amnesia, but the amount of work it requires is gruesome. Especially that I'm that kind of person that will fix details that LITERALLY noone will ever notice.
However, one thing I totally love to do in maps is lighting. It completely changes and sets the mood, and I'm a sucker for cool map atmospheres Big Grin

Writing is something that lets my imagination run wild. Also, implementing various small inspirations from my favourite games and books is awesome.

Scripting. Well, this is really tough sometimes, however putting my logic thinking and knowledge to use is always fun. And without scripting, maps are boring. Little digression here:
Spoiler below!

My first *failed* attempt to producing CS's consisted only of maps.
Nothing happened in them, I couldn't even make notes appear. I left modding amnesia for 1 year after that...

One thing I don't like is having do screw around with small parameters (for example in cutscenes).

Did I mention that modding enables me to publish my music ?
Experimental, ambient tracks that I enjoy making can have their home here, while noone would listen them otherwise.

TL;DR : I do like pretty much everything in making CS. I love when everything in a game comes together and creates an original atmosphere. I hate having to spend so much time to achieve that.

06-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

My heart lies in scripting. I'm somewhat weak at level editing. Although I know how to use the tool and how to make a decent level, I lack the patience to put all the detail in to make it look like a level I'd like to use.

Some may argue that scripting is the most time consuming thing, and that my patience isn't justified for the level editing. Well, perhaps you're right, but I feel more entertained by scripts because I'm able to make nice and impressive scenes and mechanics. Plus, I've always had a liking to coding, so I find the challenge fun. Another thing is that I really like to put details into things others may not even know about. When I write my scripts, I want them to look as polished as I can make them, and as readable as possible, for anything wishing to peek. I suppose I have a bunch of examples on my pastebin.

06-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

(06-15-2015, 07:20 PM)Lazzer Wrote: Mapping. Scripting. Writing. Everything is beautiful about modding.

06-15-2015, 11:36 PM
Find