Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)

Just FYI, Disco Ball Head or Disco Head is just a community joke, but good work with what you've done here!

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 06:05 AM by Romulator.)
10-03-2015, 06:02 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

(10-03-2015, 06:02 AM)Romulator Wrote: Just FYI, Disco Ball Head or Disco Head is just a community joke, but good work with what you've done here!

I know. Wink Hilariously, that name might be the most common one!

In case anyone missed it, the updated list of enemies is at the bottom of page 3. I think I got them all.

Searching the abyss was slightly tricky. I heard rumors of an eel (from the supersecret folder), a squid, and a humanoid. I didn't find any eel or squid (just some harmless jellyfish), and the humanoid seems to be Johan Ross (also harmless; he teleports when you get close).

Sadly, the spider robot from the teaser wasn't in the game.
10-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

Thanks GhylTarvoke.
What about Ross? Is he one of those already mentioned? I could get to see him clearly up close.
10-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Ross is apparently, of no threat.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-28-2015, 02:40 PM)GhylTarvoke Wrote: Are the enemies in Theta all called "proxies"? One is bulky and the other is skeletal, but they both seem to be blind.
Yeah, they are all Proxies, Aker's doing,

(09-28-2015, 12:49 PM)Kein Wrote: I find this a bit annoying. The only clear monster is Construct and that Abyss Worm.

Which monster is the Construct?[/quote]
The first one.

Quote:EDIT: The "Cthulhu-like being" that I thought was WAU was actually a crew member, Johan Ross. He's a very weird guy.
No, the Ghost is ROSS, the Cthulhu-like similar to Proxy is another "mutated" crew member, anyone figured out who btw?

(09-29-2015, 06:23 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: Was this enemy cut from the game?

\SOMA\entities\character\flesher\patchwork_man

Spoiler below!
[Image: patchwork.jpg]

The entity has a full range of animations and appears in several map files and scripts, but I don't remember seeing him anywhere except as a corpse in Omicron. Maybe the corpse was originally supposed to spring to life, but for whatever reason it didn't make the final cut.

He's mentioned in these portions of the 03_02_omicron_inside.hps map file; maybe a scripter can understand what was supposed to happen with him:

Spoiler below!
    //--------------------------------------------

bool DeadBodyMusicTrigger(const tString &in asParent, const tString &in asChild, int alState)
    {
        Map_AddTimer("DeadBodyMusic", 0.5f, "Timer_DeadBodyMusic");
        return true;
    }

bool mbDeadBodyMusic = false;
    void Timer_DeadBodyMusic(const tString &in asTimer)
    {
        if(mbDeadBodyMusic==false && Entity_IsActive("patchwork_spook"))
        {
            Music_Play("01_01_dead_diver", 0.55f, false, eMusicPrio_MinorEvent);
            mbDeadBodyMusic = true;
        }
    }

//-------------------------------------------------------

////////////////////////////
    // Run when entering map
    void OnEnter()
    {
        MainMenu_SetBGPhase(eMainMenuPhase_2_4_To_3_3);

//Effect_Fade_Out(0);
    //    Effect_Fade_In(5);
        BeginIntro();

Entity_PlayAnimation("patchwork_spook","lying",0.0f,true);

iPhysicsWorld @pWorld = cLux_GetCurrentMap().GetPhysicsWorld();
        cLux_AddDebugMessage("WorldSize: "+pWorld.GetWorldSizeMin()+ " - "+pWorld.GetWorldSizeMax());

//Voice_SetSource("Catherine", "Player", 2, 20, true, 20);
    }

He does comes to life and "works" like "infected/resurrected crying woman"

(10-01-2015, 10:09 PM)Science Bird Wrote: Tau: /4subjWAUr/ (hyper-aggressive, basically permanently triggered)
Other: Some fish.
That's a crew member too, not really WAU, where did you get it?

Either way, the "other fish" kinda contains the Abyss Wyrm too? That's pretty significant fish.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 03:11 PM by Kein.)
10-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

(10-03-2015, 03:05 PM)Kein Wrote:
Quote:EDIT: The "Cthulhu-like being" that I thought was WAU was actually a crew member, Johan Ross. He's a very weird guy.
No, the Ghost is ROSS, the Cthulhu-like similar to Proxy is another "mutated" crew member, anyone figured out who btw?

By "Cthulhu-like being", I meant Ross, the ghost. He looks a bit like Cthulhu. Do you mean Yoshida, the last one? (BTW, I love how the forum's spellchecker recognizes "Cthulhu".)

Spoiler below!

The entity has a full range of animations and appears in several map files and scripts, but I don't remember seeing him anywhere except as a corpse in Omicron. Maybe the corpse was originally supposed to spring to life, but for whatever reason it didn't make the final cut.

He's mentioned in these portions of the 03_02_omicron_inside.hps map file; maybe a scripter can understand what was supposed to happen with him:

Spoiler below!

bool DeadBodyMusicTrigger(const tString &in asParent, const tString &in asChild, int alState)
    {
        return true;
    }

{
        {
            mbDeadBodyMusic = true;
        }
    }

// Run when entering map
    void OnEnter()
    {

//Effect_Fade_Out(0);
    //    Effect_Fade_In(5);
        BeginIntro();

cLux_AddDebugMessage("WorldSize: "+pWorld.GetWorldSizeMin()+ " - "+pWorld.GetWorldSizeMax());

}

Wait, what?! This sounds awesome.
10-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Find
Science Bird Offline

Threads: 0

Quote:
(10-01-2015, 10:09 PM)Science Bird Wrote: Tau: /4subjWAUr/ (hyper-aggressive, basically permanently triggered)
Other: Some fish.
That's a crew member too, not really WAU, where did you get it?

Either way, the "other fish" kinda contains the Abyss Wyrm too? That's pretty significant fish.

I mainly left out the fish and monsters because, while significant threats, they don't mean much to me. They aren't horror creatures in a sense that I enjoy because (as the SCP people say) "thing what is good fighting and kills you" is not scary. Sure they have names and there are mildly different ways of coping, but overall it is "run away from / hide next to or in something".

I actually called the final "real" monster /4subjWAUr/ because of the same document that gave him the name Yoshida in the more complete list by Ghyl. The document listing people who accessed diving suits ends with yoshida, but right above him is that user name. It was a cool moment of "oh shit" fridge logic, the kind of horror experience you really only get from stuff you have to think about for a moment to grasp it.

Basically, at that point (and now) I see two possible explanations:
A) The entity is yoshida. In that case we have an unexplained accessing of a suit by WAU that I couldn't find any other signs for and that is never solved (as in, if /4subjWAUr/ isn't the entity, what and where is it then?)
B) The entity is /4subjWAUr/. In that case, it is kind of unclear how, with that thing around, yoshida still found the time to get into a suit. That does not leave as huge of a gap for me personally, I could still imagine that the entity was distracted somewhere else for long enough.

So I don't have that solid of a factual basis for calling it that, it is very much an "I really want it to be that" thing. But I hope it is well-founded enough.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 08:09 PM by Science Bird.)
10-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

(10-03-2015, 04:39 PM)GhylTarvoke Wrote:

By "Cthulhu-like being", I meant Ross, the ghost. He looks a bit like Cthulhu. Do you mean Yoshida, the last one? (BTW, I love how the forum's spellchecker recognizes "Cthulhu".)

They are very different, tho, Ross has pretty distinguishable "abilities" and behavior to confuse them with each other.

Quote:

Spoiler below!

Spoiler below!

{
        return true;
    }

{
        {
            mbDeadBodyMusic = true;
        }
    }

// Run when entering map
    void OnEnter()
    {

//Effect_Fade_Out(0);
    //    Effect_Fade_In(5);
        BeginIntro();

}

Wait, what?! This sounds awesome.
[/quote]

UNLESS I'm mistaken, isn't the second ressurected enemy is him? I mean, he is lying around in that hallway at Omicorn ffor a while but once you get the chargepack he is gone. I always assumed he was the second "resurrected crew member" since it did not cry, just moan or something.

(10-03-2015, 08:07 PM)Science Bird Wrote: I mainly left out the fish and monsters because, while significant threats, they don't mean much to me. They aren't horror creatures in a sense that I enjoy because (as the SCP people say) "thing what is good fighting and kills you" is not scary. Sure they have names and there are mildly different ways of coping, but overall it is "run away from / hide next to or in something".

I dunno man, when that Wyrm casually flew over me while I was curiously inspecting the wilds in the Abyss it spooked me pretty good.

Quote:Basically, at that point (and now) I see two possible explanations:
A) The entity is yoshida. In that case we have an unexplained accessing of a suit by WAU that I couldn't find any other signs for and that is never solved (as in, if /4subjWAUr/ isn't the entity, what and where is it then?)
B) The entity is /4subjWAUr/. In that case, it is kind of unclear how, with that thing around, yoshida still found the time to get into a suit. That does not leave as huge of a gap for me personally, I could still imagine that the entity was distracted somewhere else for long enough.

So I don't have that solid of a factual basis for calling it that, it is very much an "I really want it to be that" thing. But I hope it is well-founded enough.

As someone pointed out before, it is pretty clear the monster is Yoshida. Well, whatever left of him/whatever he is now.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Find
Science Bird Offline

Threads: 0

then.. what is up with 4subj?
10-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

TAU accessing the station? No idea, but when we (SIMON-3) access the Phi we are logged as the dead body we occupy (Harber).

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Find