Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14
RE: SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)

(10-03-2015, 09:05 PM)Kein Wrote: UNLESS I'm mistaken, isn't the second ressurected enemy is him? I mean, he is lying around in that hallway at Omicorn ffor a while but once you get the chargepack he is gone. I always assumed he was the second "resurrected crew member" since it did not cry, just moan or something.

I just checked. You're right, he disappears, but the second resurrected enemy has the same model as the first... which doesn't make a whole lot of sense (there's no way she could have come downstairs without passing me).
10-04-2015, 01:19 AM
Find
Science Bird Offline

Threads: 0

For completeness' sake, in case someone in the future reads this and is wondering, here's the access log we were referring to:
[Image: 6C1lAtUxIytnVh79MpjoaBhk92iqr.jpg]

One more potential explanation: WAU accessed the Suit #3 but didn't leave with it or fill it with a body, it just infected the suit subtly. Yoshida entered it on the next day, only to be taken over by it. In that case, both explanations would be right.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 07:06 AM by Science Bird.)
10-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

I'm fairly sure that the list of enemies at the bottom of page 3 is complete, but I'm having trouble tracking down some of their "official" names.

#1: "Construct" in the game files.
#2: "Crawler" in the game files, though the name doesn't make much sense.
#3: "Flesher" in the game files, though the name is overused.
#4: "Mindcoral Puppet 2" or just "Puppet 2" in the game files, but the in-game name "Proxy" is better.
#5: "Mindcoral Puppet 1" or just "Puppet 1" in the game files. "Proxy" is better, but if #4 already has that name, "Akers" might be best - assuming this is Akers.
#6: "Robothead" in the game files.
#7: "Leviathan" in the game files.
#8: This is the hardest one. I think it looks like a "Fangtooth" (also, fangtooths are deep-sea fish and swim in schools), but the only fish listed in the game files are the following: anglerfish, blue runner, rainbow wrasse, ratfish, sarcastic fringehead, sardine, sea wolf (wolffish), viperfish, wreckfish, and three different types of WAU fish.
#9: "Anglerfish" in the game files.
#10: "Deep Sea Diver" in the game files, though I'm partial to the (possibly in-game) name "Yoshida". I like Science Bird's explanation in the previous post.

Incidentally, the SOMA wiki calls many different enemies "proxies", which strikes me as unhelpful.
10-10-2015, 02:07 AM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11

Yeah, I am not a fan of the SOMA wiki calling all the enemies "Proxies". Someone edited that stuff in and it should be removed. There is no place other than referring to Akers and his "clones" as proxies in the game.
10-10-2015, 03:56 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Don't even bother with wiki, we've had the discussion and laugh about it in PIGS story thread. The whole thing is like fanfic Tongue

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-10-2015, 04:28 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

There's a few monsters available in the editor which seem to have working animations, like the spider, orange flesher, and that thing that crawls on the ground. Perhaps they could be scripted and made available for the modding public

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
10-10-2015, 09:02 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

(10-10-2015, 03:56 AM)PathOS Wrote: Yeah, I am not a fan of the SOMA wiki calling all the enemies "Proxies". Someone edited that stuff in and it should be removed. There is no place other than referring to Akers and his "clones" as proxies in the game.
(10-10-2015, 04:28 AM)Kein Wrote: Don't even bother with wiki, we've had the discussion and laugh about it in PIGS story thread. The whole thing is like fanfic Tongue

The wiki also refers to the Leviathan as a giant squid, but it's visually clear that the Leviathan is inorganic. And the game files classify it as a robot.

(10-10-2015, 09:02 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: There's a few monsters available in the editor which seem to have working animations, like the spider, orange flesher, and that thing that crawls on the ground. Perhaps they could be scripted and made available for the modding public

That would be great. I wished we could have seen them in SOMA.

Regarding the enemy names (particularly #8), the easiest way to find out would be to use the editor, but I have no experience with it. Blush Could some kind soul resolve this mystery?
10-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Find
kojack Offline

(10-10-2015, 03:23 PM)GhylTarvoke Wrote: Regarding the enemy names (particularly #8), the easiest way to find out would be to use the editor, but I have no experience with it. Blush Could some kind soul resolve this mystery?
According to the level editor, the first post's #7 (the one roaming around Theta) and #8 (the one on the stairs after the elevator) are the same enemy: puppet_1 in the mind coral directory.

The editor crashes for me when trying to load the first area of Theta, but looking at the map file as text it seems that the enemy roaming the server room (the dark green area) is mind coral puppet_2. It's not listed in the first post of this thread.
10-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

(10-10-2015, 04:14 PM)kojack Wrote: According to the level editor, the first post's #7 (the one roaming around Theta) and #8 (the one on the stairs after the elevator) are the same enemy: puppet_1 in the mind coral directory.

The editor crashes for me when trying to load the first area of Theta, but looking at the map file as text it seems that the enemy roaming the server room (the dark green area) is mind coral puppet_2. It's not listed in the first post of this thread.

I was referring to the list at the bottom of page 3, but thank you for confirming! That enemy does look very different under different lighting conditions.
10-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Find
kojack Offline

Unfortunately my encounter with the stairs puppet was spoiled a little by a user on here that had an animated gif of that bit in their signature. As soon as I saw the stairs I knew something would run down them. Sad

(When looking at names in the editor, there's both entity name (the file) and instance name. Sometimes the instance name gives more info on who they are. For example, the "puppet_dreamer_male" entity is used 3 times in Theta Exit, one of them has the instance name of "VictimStrohmeier", the others are generic like "mind_coral_victim_alive_1")

Ok, from page 3 list:
#4 is mind coral puppet 2.
#5 is mind coral puppet 1.
If you look at their designs in super secret, they are both made of multiple people of different ethnicity merged together, not a single mutated person. So #5 might be part Akers, but also part of someone else.

#6 is called robot head in the editor (and robot girl in super secret).

Edit: Actually, the map script file uses the term Akers a lot for monster activity in Theta, looks like #5 might be at least partly him. A staff report said "The Proxy we killed was blind, just like Akers. But it listens! Careful -- we spotted two more by the infirmary."
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2015, 02:28 AM by kojack.)
10-11-2015, 01:49 AM
Find