Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOMA keeps freezing and locks up computer
Favorlock Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago SOMA keeps freezing and locks up computer

While playing SOMA the game eventually freezes but does not appear to crash. When I try to alt-tab it stays stuck on SOMA. The same happens if I try ctrl-alt-del, and alt-f4. The only way I can exit the application is if I force shutdown the computer with the power button. This is very problematic since forced shutdowns aren't really good for a computer.

Here is the hpl log: http://pastebin.com/bC17m8Wu

I'm using Windows 10 if that makes any difference.

Edit 1: Playing in Borderless mode makes it so the game completely crashes to desktop rather than crashing the drivers or locking up the display. Updated hpl.log: http://pastebin.com/DQn3VF5W
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015, 11:03 AM by Favorlock.)
09-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Find
tuoret Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: SOMA keeps freezing and locks up computer

I'm having the same issue, even in borderless mode it freezes bad enough that I have to restart my PC. Going to try windowed now. Only started happening when I was about 3 hours into the game.

One time the game actually saved my progress, but attempting to load that particular save results in a runtime error.

I have to say, the most annoying part (well aside from me having to restart my entire computer) is that sometimes the last save is several minutes away, so I've had to repeat some areas/puzzles a few times. I've started quitting to menu every couple of minutes in order to save my progress now, which works but is pretty annoying and kills the immersion. If only there was a simple "save" button :/
09-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Find
TKDiniz Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: SOMA keeps freezing and locks up computer

Well see,this game has some real annoying freezes sometimes,i didn't go past the first light blackout in the begining,because when i entered in that "blocked" room on the left,took the Omni tool,did some research and then i simply turned around my camera and it not only froze my computer,but when i restarted there were corruptions between my files(not related to SOMA),thanks to it i'll have to take long hours to reinstall and download some of the files that were corrupted because of that,PLEASE Frictional Games,i was enjoying the story so far(even though i did not get past the begining),but it is time for you to release some patches to fix this,because it's unplayable,i uninstalled it and will only install it again when this is fixed,thx.
09-29-2015, 12:03 AM
Find
tuoret Offline

Since someone bumped the thread I thought I might share my observations as the problem still exists (just happened to me a few minutes ago)

-Installing the game on SSD didn't help at all

-I have three screens connected to my PC, my main screen (that I play games on) and my 3rd screen (a TV) are duplicated so whatever I do on my main screen should generally show up on my TV simultaneously. For whatever reason, this is not the case with SOMA. It works fine on my #1 screen but on the TV, It'll get stuck on the Frictional Games splash screen at the beginning of the game.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it, I just found it interesting since I've never seen that happen before. Anyway, I just downloaded Ubuntu, going to try the Linux version to see if it's a hardware problem or something.
09-29-2015, 02:31 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Your issue might be related to the fact you have multiple monitors. I think I remember someone fixing their problems by unplugging them. The game might not be fine tuned for dual monitors yet.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 07:27 AM by Mudbill.)
09-29-2015, 07:26 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

I would advice a clean driver install. Uninstall current and then install the most recent.
09-29-2015, 08:01 AM
Find
Unregistered

Am on the ship under water and the game froze on me, all i did was turn the sound off this allowed me to escape to the rescue shuttle, then just turned it back on .
10-25-2015, 04:02 PM