Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOMA Sounds Encrypted?
Sonador Offline

Threads: 0
RE: SOMA Sounds Encrypted?

The OGG files extracted by the FSB extractor are missing their headers, which renders the OGG files useless.

Anyone had a breakthru yet? I'm trying to extract some sound files to use as ringtones but am having no luck so far.

EDIT: The level editor (leveleditor.exe) can access and play the audio files. If one runs the level editor on an isolated audio system, like Virtual Audio Cable, one can resample the sounds they're looking for by recording them being played until Frictional provides instructions for actually extracting the audio.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015, 10:27 AM by Sonador.)
09-28-2015, 12:05 AM
Find
kojack Offline

The Zenhax forum (game data reverse engineering community) has been working on it for a year, it's a common thing apparently (oggs in fsb have headers stripped, only fmod can play them).
Apparently this program can extract them correctly, but it's source only and has a bunch of dependencies: https://github.com/tmiasko/fsb-vorbis-extractor
09-28-2015, 03:43 AM
Find
Sonador Offline

(09-28-2015, 03:43 AM)kojack Wrote: The Zenhax forum (game data reverse engineering community) has been working on it for a year, it's a common thing apparently (oggs in fsb have headers stripped, only fmod can play them).
Apparently this program can extract them correctly, but it's source only and has a bunch of dependencies: https://github.com/tmiasko/fsb-vorbis-extractor

Requires linux as well, looks like.

Presently, Windows users can pull soundfiles in a functional but roundabout way:

- Install and run Audacity for windows.
- In the dropdown to the left of the microphone icon, select Windows WASAPI.
- In the dropdown to the right of the microphone, select your speakers.
- Navigate to the directory where you installed SOMA.
- Open LevelEditor.exe .
- Hit the speaker icon on the left.
- On the right, hit the [...] button.
- Navigate to the sound you wish to use. Preview by hitting the play button.
- Once you have located the sound you want, quiet all other sounds playing on the computer.
- Tab over to Audacity and hit record.
- Quickly tab over to the level editor and hit the preview button.
- Tab back to Audacity and hit stop.
- Click-drag to select the flat lines in the blue waveform viewer and hit delete to erase the blank audio.
- Hit Ctrl-A, go to Effects... Amplify, ensure allow clipping is unchecked, and hit OK.
- File... Export Audio and save the file as whatever format you need (LAME will be needed to save as an mp3.)

Rinse, repeat.
Dirty, but works for low-tech windows users. I'm using the Tau Communications Dialer as my ringtones now, pretty spiffy.

Here's the ringtones if anyone wants them: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2knradlqz3udl...wTWDa?dl=0
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015, 12:45 PM by Sonador.)
09-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Why do you want to extract the sounds if you use them as they are? You can just play the sounds out of the fmod projects using either script or sound entities in the model/level editor. Just want to make sure you know that you can use all the sounds from SOMA as they are, only if you want to edit them in someway that apparently it can be a bit hard to get the sounds out of the sound banks.
09-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Website Find
Sonador Offline

In my case, I'm using them as ringtones, so I need a file to export onto my phone. This is the only way I've managed to figure out how to do it so far.
09-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Oooooooh haha thought you meant a ringtone for a mod in the game. OK I get it now Smile
09-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Website Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

Hi all, bumping this thread back up.

(09-28-2015, 03:43 AM)kojack Wrote: The Zenhax forum (game data reverse engineering community) has been working on it for a year, it's a common thing apparently (oggs in fsb have headers stripped, only fmod can play them).

I used this program. I had to install (using apt-get) the following dependencies to get the whole thing to compile on Ubuntu:

libvorbis-dev libogg-dev pkg-config cmake libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libgoogle-glog-dev

...and tada. Worked like a charm. Here are a few tunes I extracted from Entities_Station.fsb and that are now part of my ringtones!

Attached Files
.zip   theta_button_doors.zip (Size: 512.78 KB / Downloads: 361)
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2016, 09:58 PM by felixmole.)
03-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Find
Blockaloni Offline

(03-21-2016, 09:52 PM)felixmole Wrote: Hi all, bumping this thread back up.

I used this program. I had to install (using apt-get) the following dependencies to get the whole thing to compile on Ubuntu:

libvorbis-dev libogg-dev pkg-config cmake libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libgoogle-glog-dev

...and tada. Worked like a charm. Here are a few tunes I extracted from Entities_Station.fsb and that are now part of my ringtones!
Downloaded this but there isn't an exe anywhere. How do you use it?
08-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

(08-02-2016, 03:58 PM)Blockaloni Wrote:
(03-21-2016, 09:52 PM)felixmole Wrote: Hi all, bumping this thread back up.

Downloaded this but there isn't an exe anywhere. How do you use it?

Sounds like he compiled it in Linux, the files on the git only have source and are unusable unless you compile it, which is a real hassle if you don't know where to start.
08-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

Yes, I compiled it. Once you have the dependencies right, it's quick. I still have the output executable, but it's compiled for ARM32 computers, not sure many people here will find it useful.
08-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Find