Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOMA minor loading issues
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago SOMA minor loading issues

So this isn't critical or anything, but I want to know if others are experiencing this and if there's a fix (perhaps in the works) for it.

Got a Steam copy of the game. When I click play, sometimes (usually the first time I start it after a PC reboot) SOMA takes a long time to start. It sets my status to in-game on Steam, and SOMA.exe is present in task manager, but it starts at using 20k of RAM, then slowly builds up. After about 2 minutes, it reaches 72k and THEN it starts the game and puts me into fullscreen.

If I then try to start the game after it has allocated those 72k the first time, it boots fine in a matter of seconds, until a PC restart.

Another issue is the "load save game" times. Those also take very long, but it sounds like that's normal. But why does it take 2-3 minutes? Does it really take that long to load the visuals? Is it being looked into? I assume not as it's not nearly as important as the other issues that are going on right now, but if it is improved in the future, that would be nice.

09-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: SOMA minor loading issues

How do other games run? Seems like an overworked HD or something like that.
09-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

The PC build is fairly new (from April), and all other applications have been running fine. The OS is on an SSD, and the game is on an HDD. I have had a fair amount of BSODs on this machine though, which are related to Sleep. I haven't been able to fix that yet, so I can't say the PC is not problematic, but I don't think that has any relation to this. SOMA is the only application that does this.

Of course if I'm the only one with this issue, I suppose it's not important.

As for the "load save game" load times, that I can confirm other people also experience.

09-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Actually, I face a similar dilemma, but because the game loads in the end anyway, it doesn't really bother me. My game runs at pretty low graphics and settings, but I don't really pay any attention to the load times once the game has loaded.

It becomes obvious when you start experimenting and testing mods.

And I've only noticed the loading/saving times when I compared my friend playing the game for the first time the other day when I accidentally hit continue near the beginning. The saves between your starting location and Omicron are very different in load times.

I'm happy to provide those saves if it assists in correcting the issue with loading times!

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
09-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Yeah, the first start is fairly LONG.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3