Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Spoiler] Humans on earth
BrokenJadeMirror Offline

Threads: 0
RE: [Spoiler] Humans on earth

Well if there WAS a space program in 2103 then clearly they weren't very good at redirecting the comet that took out Earth's life.

But Biomech is right, in the final cinematic the planet looked pretty far gone. The only way to survive would either to be off-world on the ISS or some other future space station, or somewhere deep underwater at PATHOS II or some other facility. If there was a moon base or a Mars base there would be no way to find out since PATHOS II's communications array was destroyed by the comet.

Also reminder that PATHOS II wasn't a product of the 22nd century but was built around the 2080's I think. So there's that.

A deep underground bunker that's situated far away from fault lines or whatever other deep earth dangers exist MIGHT be able to survive some period of time. Without space to spread or resources to raise children (not to mention lack of genetic diversity), humans wouldn't last very long in such an environment. To be honest, the two forces shown in SOMA -- Chun's ARK and WAU's augmentation -- are probably the only true hope of humanity's survival beyond one or two decades.
10-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Find
o Ventus Offline

Threads: 0

(10-05-2015, 06:36 PM)BrokenJadeMirror[/quote' Wrote: Also reminder that PATHOS II wasn't a product of the 22nd century but was built around the 2080's I think. So there's that.

I believe it's explicitly mentioned as starting in "the 60's". Whether this refers to the 1960's or 2060's, I don't know. Seems more feasible for it to be the 2060's given the level of technology available.
10-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Find
Corvo Offline

Threads: 3

I just saw a reddit post that had this image http://imgur.com/9IXqgMY, I dont know exactly where it is in the game, but its file is located on - SOMA\textures\decals\signs\world map.dds - This image shows that are probably atleast seven more underwater facilities in the world

- The text is in chinese and apparently is just a random text, nothing related to the stations -
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 03:45 AM by Corvo.)
10-06-2015, 03:43 AM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11

I do recall a lot of pictures or computer terminals that implied there were many more underwater facilities in the Pathos global network, or perhaps related research stations.

Well, I'm sure there's plenty of fodder for Custom Stories to "invent" some Sites across the rest of the Oceans around the world.
10-06-2015, 05:24 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(10-06-2015, 05:24 AM)PathOS Wrote: I do recall a lot of pictures or computer terminals that implied there were many more underwater facilities in the Pathos global network

Can you post the screenshots then? Because I do not recall a single one. Gameonly mentions PATHOS-II, there was nothing about PATHOS-I. Additionally, the numerous characters in the game (audio logs + Catherine) keep repeating "they are indeed the last humans on earth".

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Find
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7

I too dont belive that pathos 2 was the only station... Mankind cant be that helpless in 2100 XD
What about moonbases?
Bunkers in greenland?
Spacestations?

It just dont makes sence.

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
10-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Well, it is not being mentioned anywhere in the game.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Find
Omnitool Offline

Threads: 16

(10-06-2015, 01:08 PM)Kein Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 05:24 AM)PathOS Wrote: I do recall a lot of pictures or computer terminals that implied there were many more underwater facilities in the Pathos global network

Can you post the screenshots then? Because I do not recall a single one. Gameonly mentions PATHOS-II, there was nothing about PATHOS-I. Additionally, the numerous characters in the game (audio logs + Catherine) keep repeating "they are indeed the last humans on earth".

There is this map of all the underwater bases, mainly owned by the corporations:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i2vybm&s=8
It is found in the game files, I don't know whether it is found in-game, I don't remember seeing it...

Also, how the hell did the surface structure at the end of the cannon (Omega) survive the giant tsunamis that resulted after the comet hit the ocean, it would have been literally dragged all the way to Greenland?!?
It seems like a weak floating platform, it can't have possibly survived the forces that literally tore the entire planet apart! The entire length of the cannon also should have been bent like a needle struck by a hammer given the tsunamis, tectonic shifts and continental displacement!
It is very unlikely that both the entire cannon "barrel" and the floating end-point Omega platform are in a practically intact state, still fit for launching projectiles, while the base of the canon has been clearly damaged, with water pouring in the launch control room (where the Pilot Seat is located).
In comparision if a sniper gun's barrel would be bent even by 2-3 milimertes, the projectile would shatter inside it! How on earth did the cannon's barrel not bend even an inch when an entire planet was ruined is beyond my understanding.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015, 01:01 PM by Omnitool.)
10-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

(10-08-2015, 12:56 PM)Omnitool Wrote: There is this map of all the underwater bases, mainly owned by the corporations:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i2vybm&s=8
It is found in the game files, I don't know whether it is found in-game, I don't remember seeing it...
Neither did I, that's kinda the point. There is quite a few leftovers from old ideas that were deprecated and now irrelevant. While the common sense dictates that there couldn't be just one Pathos-II network and not single station anywhere else, none is mentioned in the game in any way so it might be that in the end dev decided P2 has to be the last thing on Earth.

Hmmm. It's cool material for the custom stories, tho.

(10-08-2015, 12:56 PM)Omnitool Wrote: Also, how the hell did the surface structure at the end of the cannon (Omega) survive the giant tsunamis that resulted after the comet hit the ocean, it would have been literally dragged all the way to Greenland?!?
It seems like a weak floating platform, it can't have possibly survived the forces that literally tore the entire planet apart! The entire length of the cannon also should have been bent like a needle struck by a hammer given the tsunamis, tectonic shifts and continental displacement!
It is very unlikely that both the entire cannon "barrel" and the floating end-point Omega platform are in a practically intact state, still fit for launching projectiles, while the base of the canon has been clearly damaged, with water pouring in the launch control room (where the Pilot Seat is located).
In comparision if a sniper gun's barrel would be bent even by 2-3 milimertes, the projectile would shatter inside it! How on earth did the cannon's barrel not bend even an inch when an entire planet was ruined is beyond my understanding.

Good point.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-08-2015, 02:13 PM
Find