Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frequent Crashing on MAC, Cannot Progress
abowling Offline

Threads: 1
Not Solved Frequent Crashing on MAC, Cannot Progress

I have a Late 2012 iMac
2.9Ghz Intel Core i5
16 GB Ram
NVIDIA GTX 660M 512MB

So far I love the game, but I have serious problems with random crashes. I've gotten as far as the Systems Control room (I think) where you are crawling through vents. Now I cannot get any further due to the game crashing. It will either crash as soon as the door opens, or as you walk around the room a little bit. The crashing 'episodes' have seemed random but quite frequent. I purchased the game today, and have spent roughly 4 hours trying different settings, updating the Cuda drivers, disabling running software, etc. without much luck.

Again, the game seems really great, and I can't wait to get further along!

One interesting note, when looking at the hpl.log, it gives multiple errors like this one:

ERROR: Couldn't create particle system 'ParticleSystem_16' of type 'D:/Work/studio/Frictional Games/Depth/redist/particles/smoke/fog_ambient_light_small.ps'

This is pointing to a windows directory, which wouldn't work on OSX. Possibly some files were not mapped correctly when ported to OSX?

I've attached logs, crash dump, and the system info from steam. Hopefully this will help out.

Thanks, and again -- awesome game!!!

I thought I should mention that I have the public_beta enabled, and it reports "Current content build 799088".

Attached Files
.txt   osx_crash_dump.txt (Size: 65.39 KB / Downloads: 117)
.log   hpl.log (Size: 34.99 KB / Downloads: 104)
.txt   steam_sys_info.txt (Size: 1.26 KB / Downloads: 95)
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 07:39 AM by abowling.)
10-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Find
AaronKOG Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 0
Not Solved RE: Frequent Crashing on MAC, Cannot Progress

Sorry to hear this, but thanks for all the information. I'll be investigating this and will let you know when I have a fix.
10-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Find
AaronKOG Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 0

So I finally got to looking into this. I may have fixed some issues related to this in the [public_beta] version of the game. You can opt into this version by doing the following:

1. right click SOMA in your library
2. click properties
3. click BETAS tab
4. select "public_beta" from drop-down list
5. click LOCAL FILES tab
6. click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE...

If that version of the game doesn't work any better for you then your issue is a problem with Apple's NVIDIA driver related to texture memory management. You should be able to work around the issue by lowering the Texture quality.
10-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Find
Unregistered

I seem to be having a similar problem. I'm using a 2013 Macbook Pro, and I have gotten as far as the part right after the brain scan in the new world or dimension or whatever with the breakrom and restrooms and chain link padlocked doors. It consistently crashes as I attempt to walk around in this level. I have tried the Beta thing suggested above multiple times with no success, and I have no idea how to mess with the texture memory management thing. Please help. I paid $30 for this game over a month ago and can't even enjoy it.
11-16-2015, 06:56 PM