Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Working Amnesia-Style Inventory System (In Progress)
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22
Working Amnesia-Style Inventory System (In Progress)

**EDIT: This has been completed. The main thread is on the Showcase forum over here.**

Hey guys, it was mentioned in another thread that a hot item mod to bring to SOMA is a functional Amnesia-style inventory to the game, and the people in that thread said that such a mod was probably far in the future due to the difficulty of creating such a mod that it would either have to be made by a SOMA team member or that it take a long while to create for a third party.

*challenge_accepted.png*

Here's the quick look of a functional setup for such an inventory system that I've been working on over the past few days. I say "functional" in that the core functionality is there, but other than making debug messages pop-up, none of the buttons do anything. (But believe me, that was the majority of the battle right there.)

I've got for you a snapshot of the inventory in-game, as well as a quick demo video:

[Image: E41D7E6D34E22E68441B8CE1A84DE3FCDDA83E77]

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2015, 05:19 AM by Abion47.)
10-14-2015, 05:13 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Working Amnesia-Style Inventory System (In Progress)

Looks excellent! Keep up the good work!

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-14-2015, 05:21 AM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11

Congrats!

I just hope people can think of better things to use an Inventory for than Tinderboxes Tongue
10-14-2015, 05:43 AM
Find
Abion47 Offline

(10-14-2015, 05:43 AM)PathOS Wrote: Congrats!

I just hope people can think of better things to use an Inventory for than Tinderboxes Tongue

Seeing as SOMA is sci-fi themed, I imagine the new popular use would be batteries. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015, 05:47 AM by Abion47.)
10-14-2015, 05:47 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Lookin sweet so far.

I'd like to suggest that when you get to this point, if you could make Simon pull up the item in his hand after it has been selected in the inventory (rather than displaying an icon like in Amnesia), I think that would be much better for this game. What I'm sure most meant with Amnesia-style was the functionality, but not necessarily the design (obviously Tongue). Also, is the sanity icon really necessary? Or should I say useful at all? Is it just there for demonstration purposes?

Of course for the time being, displaying an icon instead of the hand animation is more than acceptable, at the very least for testing. You could always make multiple iterations of the inventory with different styles and settings.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015, 08:43 AM by Mudbill.)
10-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Find
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7

Ok now do a crafting system with itemvalues and then we want skills factions a marketplace and a favor system.
Friendslist
Guilds
Pets
Bags
And a weirdo robot that talks about creating a device to make portals Tongue

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
10-14-2015, 11:24 AM
Find
Abion47 Offline

Update for the night, I've now got tool titles and descriptions working.

(10-14-2015, 08:38 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Lookin sweet so far.

I'd like to suggest that when you get to this point, if you could make Simon pull up the item in his hand after it has been selected in the inventory (rather than displaying an icon like in Amnesia), I think that would be much better for this game. What I'm sure most meant with Amnesia-style was the functionality, but not necessarily the design (obviously Tongue). Also, is the sanity icon really necessary? Or should I say useful at all? Is it just there for demonstration purposes?

Of course for the time being, displaying an icon instead of the hand animation is more than acceptable, at the very least for testing. You could always make multiple iterations of the inventory with different styles and settings.

Posted my update before I even saw this reply. Tongue

In the update, yeah, Simon pulls the items into his hand as they are selected in the inventory. As for the inclusion of the sanity icon, at this point it's mostly for the complete look, like how eventually I would like to add the tinderboxes and oil in as well (for SOMA, this would obviously translate to batteries and power). I've got the health working as tied to Simon's actual health, but digging through the files and effects it seems like SOMA doesn't actually really have a sanity mechanic. (People can correct me on this, but it appears like all the visual effects attributed to what one might consider sanity is either visuals tied directly to the amount of health or special effects activated by various triggers.)

And as far as the inventory system actually looking like the Amnesia inventory, I was just using that as a proof-of-concept. Once the whole thing is functionally complete, swapping out the graphics for a more SOMA-y look is easy. The batteries and power as well, I won't make it a hard-coded feature of the inventory, but rather set it able to be toggled via script - removing features is generally easier than adding them.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015, 12:13 PM by Abion47.)
10-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Find
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7

I like the progress :3 will this be free for all? Or do you plan todo a Mod yourself?

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
10-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Find
Abion47 Offline

(10-14-2015, 12:18 PM)Filizitas Wrote: I like the progress :3 will this be free for all? Or do you plan todo a Mod yourself?

Once the system is functionally complete, I will post the complete mod on Steam Workshop and ModDB so people can download and use it for their own projects. At that time, I'll try to put together a tutorial on how to use it as well, though my hope is that at that point actually implementing it would be fairly low maintenance to do so.

After that, yeah, I'll probably look into working on my own custom stories.
10-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Find
PythonBlue Offline

Threads: 13

Very nice! Thanks a lot for this!

10-14-2015, 12:26 PM
Find