Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frame pacing problems - stutters
AUSSIEPATRIOT Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Frame pacing problems - stutters

(10-20-2015, 02:18 PM)nebej Wrote: That still counts as an outdoor level since you have just entered a structure and the outdoor world is outside the window. My guess is that it is an issue with the terrain material compression or copying. We had issue with this on some Nvidia cards 2 years ago. But that was fixed in a driver update. Could you do this on the previous level? The one with the train crash

It could also be some kind of VRAM issue since the game does not use that much memory on most computers. It could be that your VRAM counter is for the whole computer and not just for the game (so the ~700 mb is from Windows and background applications)

Could you upload your hpl.log found at the same location as the cfg file?

OK, will do tonight Tongue
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 07:43 PM by AUSSIEPATRIOT.)
10-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Find
Unregistered

(10-20-2015, 07:41 PM)AUSSIEPATRIOT Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 02:18 PM)nebej Wrote: It could also be some kind of VRAM issue since the game does not use that much memory on most computers. It could be that your VRAM counter is for the whole computer and not just for the game (so the ~700 mb is from Windows and background applications)

Well yes, it would be total VRAM usage including RAM used by Windows. Regardless of this, my graphics card has a total of 3gb to use and, even though the VRAM usage is getting close to maximum I believe it should not be an issue.

I'm at work as I write this, I'll post my hpl.log when I arrive home tonight.
10-20-2015, 10:25 PM
AUSSIEPATRIOT Offline

(10-20-2015, 02:18 PM)nebej Wrote: That still counts as an outdoor level since you have just entered a structure and the outdoor world is outside the window. My guess is that it is an issue with the terrain material compression or copying. We had issue with this on some Nvidia cards 2 years ago. But that was fixed in a driver update. Could you do this on the previous level? The one with the train crash

It could also be some kind of VRAM issue since the game does not use that much memory on most computers. It could be that your VRAM counter is for the whole computer and not just for the game (so the ~700 mb is from Windows and background applications)

Could you upload your hpl.log found at the same location as the cfg file?

Attached is my hpl.log as requested. I'm now going to run through the train crash level again and see how it goes.

OK, some further feedback.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=539036006
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=539036016
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=539036034

I'm Just posting some screenshots firstly, as the quick video I made is being uploaded as I type this.

Edit: Video now up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySB1f-3Leic

In the video which you'll see soon I can experience a weird type of stutter. For the most part, the drop in frames or stutter is not reflected via MSI which I have running, but from the graph we can see there is some movement when the stutter occurs.

Also note at the start of the video VRAM usage was almost 1700mb and, by the time I reach the outside ocean VRAM usage was again almost at 2500mb. I can't help but think this is the typical amount of VRAM needed for the level as I had closed any unnecessary background applications including web browser windows. The number of background running tasks as I launch Soma was sitting around 68 background applications running which I find to be the common amount. I'll run through the level again quickly using low textures and post back my results.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 14.84 KB / Downloads: 129)
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2015, 11:51 AM by AUSSIEPATRIOT.)
10-21-2015, 10:24 AM
Find
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 8

I dont see any stuttering in the latest video you uploaded. The red line (frame milliseconds) seem to be stable and the white line (which represents frame drops) never shows any drops.

My guess is that it is a problem with the terrain mega textures on your graphic card. I will make a special exe that disables mega textures that you can test with.

Looking at your hpl log there seems to be a new driver available. You could test it and see if it helps

I did not see any stuttering because i wasnt playing it in 60 fps. When running it on chrome i can see drops in the begining.
Downloading the movie and going frame by frame shows that the same frame is shown 2 frames in a row

Do you have <Engine LimitFPS="true" ../> in the config file?
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2015, 12:50 PM by nebej.)
10-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Find
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

Do you ever get any screen tearing with vsync off?
Jens can kind of reproduce the issue and it appears he never gets any kind of tearing, instead it shows the previous frame for two frames. Which seems to be what happens here
10-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Find
Unregistered

Hi Nebej, AussiePatriot here, it seems I can't log in through the work computer.

Firstly, thankyou for acknowledging the problems I've reported, its good to know I'm not completely insane and not the only one who can see this.

All the videos I've uploaded are in 60fps and to be able to see any of the stutter you must view them in google chrome to be able to see the stutter clearly.

Regarding what you mentioned about the stutter where every second frame seems to be repeating, yes this makes a lot of sense and that's exactly what it feels like. The engine seems to be outputting 60fps but for some reason at times every second frame is repeating hence it feels like 30fps.

However this feels like a different stutter when compared to other videos I've uploaded where I experience stutter i.e outside in the ocean ares - this really feels like its a texture/loading/streaming issue, as the frame drop is erratic and only stutters when I am walking or panning the camera. From testing when playing the game on medium textures the stutter is less and on low textures the stutter seems to almost completely disappear.

Also, concerning having vsync on or off. I wasn't going to bring this up but since you guys mentioned it. It seems I can't turn it off via in game settings. From memory yes I could turn it off forcing it through the NCP though.

Concerning the variable: <Engine LimitFPS="true" ../> I've tampered with this setting before to see how the game behaves at a higher frame rate, and from what I've experienced the results only get worse when playing at a frame rate at anything higher then 60fps. More unstable stutter occurs and its simply not smooth. I don't mind at all playing at 60fps though, I feel this is the magic number and should be the standard for all PC games. Higher FPS is great if your machine can handle it and the FPS is consistent and smooth. I would be upset if PC game forced me to play at 30fps i.e The Evil within, Dead rising (these had been fixed in later updates)

Lastly, I've mentioned it before, but when toggling fullscreen and borderless, this seems to reset the gamma to its default.

Thankyou for your time reading this, and I eargerly await your reply.

AussiePatriot.

Aussiepatriot here again,

Forgot to mention, the drivers I'm currently using are the second most current. I was using the latest driver for a little while until I found an anomaly when playing MGSV TPP, so I rolled back to the drivers I'm using now. For testing purposes if you guys prefer I can go back to using the latest. Let me know.

Cheers.
10-22-2015, 10:52 PM
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

I believe there is something wrong with vsync and double buffering when playing with your GPU/driver. You could try this combo:
- LimitFPS = true
- Vsync = on
- RefreshRate = 60 hz
- DisplayMode = Fullscreen
- Max pre-rendered frames = 1
- Triple Buffering = false

Im going to send a mail to Nvidia and try to figure out why vsync doesnt work like it should. It works fine on AMD cards
10-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Find
AUSSIEPATRIOT Offline

Hi Nebej,

Any chance getting Gsync to work with this game? From what I understand OpenGL games need separate or more advance driver support to implement.

Tried you above suggestion again which I had tried many in the past already and so many other variations of those settings. Still no good I'm afraid.
10-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Find
AUSSIEPATRIOT Offline

Hi Nebej, any news?

I just don't want this thread to be lost so I'm just making this quick post.
10-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Find
Etronax
Unregistered

Hi, Etronax here.

I seem to be having similar issues. Except that I can see spikes in the framegraph. White and red line spiking when the game stutters. Happens once every couple of seconds. Oddly enough it appears completely randomly. Mostly I can see it even in the main menu. But just a while ago I thought I had fixed it when the game ran completely smooth for almost five minutes straight.
But here's the really weird part: this only happens when launching the game through steam. SOMA_NoSteam.exe works perfectly fine.
10-26-2015, 04:55 PM