Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game not saving on PC (Steam)
Renegrenade
Unregistered

Not Solved Game not saving on PC (Steam)
So I've got a weird issue that just cropped up. I just got in the Steam link and controller and since I'm mid-game on SOMA I decided to give that a shot using my new toys. Everything worked fine and I played for an hour or so. I unlocked an achievement and got the brain icon (loading? autosaving?) frequently. However, when I quit the game (using save and exit) and tried to return later, I saw that none of that progress had been saved and I was back to where I was before playing today.

I figured I had forgot to save or something so I just did a test by running into a new area and trying to save and quit again. Again, it did not save. I then thought maybe theres some issue with using the link device and so I shut that down and played on my PC directly and still could not save. I quit steam completely and restarted as administrator and still could not save.

Like I said, Im unlocking acheivements, my play time is being recorded on Steam, and I'm getting the flashing brain icon... why can I not save all of the sudden?
10-17-2015, 08:26 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Not Solved RE: Game not saving on PC (Steam)
Sounds like it might be a permission issue. That's usually the case if you can't save. One thing you can try is to run SOMA as an administrator, as that will have most privileges. Find the .exe file, go to properties > compatibility > Always run as administrator. Try to see if that helps.

10-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Find
Unregistered

Yeah when I first bought the game I kept getting an error and the game wouldn't start. Had to change the security settings on my documents to get it to work at all. This is the only game I've ever had to do that for. After doing that, however, it worked just fine. It's only today that it stopped saving. Ive also been running the game as an administrator today, no luck.
10-17-2015, 09:29 PM
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Are the save files found under the folder "C:\Users\-USER-NAME-\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Users\-USER-NAME-\Documents\My Games\Soma" ?

The problem is not with the game but rather with your account permissions or general misconfigured permissions on that computer. If your accounts don't have access to Documents folder then you may encounter issues. Usually the VirtualStore folder is used in such cases but only when no permissions exist on the folder to access. If you switch between "Run as administrator" and not, then the game will load the save games from the folder which it has access to at any given time. When you run as admin that's Documents, otherwise it's VirtualStore\Documents.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2015, 11:49 PM by plutomaniac.)
10-17-2015, 11:35 PM
Find
Renegrenade
Unregistered

Well, restarted my computer and now everything is fine.

Computers are dumb.
10-18-2015, 12:09 AM
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Remember to always launch the game either as Admin or normal user. Don't switch otherwise the saves won't appear. I'll close this case now. Enjoy the game. Wink
10-18-2015, 12:14 AM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.