Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Things you may not have noticed (spoilers ahoy!)
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29
RE: Things you may not have noticed (spoilers ahoy!)

(11-13-2015, 03:16 PM)Romulator Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 03:04 PM)cantremember Wrote: If you lock Akers in a room, I think him escaping eventually is an unintentional consequence of his programming. He disappears and respawns closer to you a short while later if you go too far from him, effectively teleporting him out of the room he's locked in.

It is noticable if you are in one of the rooms and he roams the hallways. The footsteps, interference and his howling noise all abruptly stop after he walked past. Then a short time later you will suddenly hear him again and he will arrive from a different direction, physically impossible for him to have went around that quickly.

Spoiler below!
He is set up to be able to move around in the ventilation systems. He does so while you're investigating the lab areas, noticeably before you investigate Brandon Wan's body.

Never noticed that to be the intention, but I noticed that technically he disappears and spawns elsewhere, sometimes it physically doesn't make sense even if that is what they had in mind for him.

Another strange thing in the labs, there are a few sections of corridor that don't lead anywhere except a dead-end, and by that I don't mean blocked paths, but literally no doors or any other provisions were made there, just flat walls, which would probably be a very unlikely design for an underwater station.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2015, 05:05 PM by cantremember.)
11-13-2015, 05:01 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

I think I agree with cantremember, in that I don't believe Akers is supposed to be escaping the rooms via the vents and is instead just despawning after a period of "inactivity" then respawning elsewhere, as he does throughout the rest of the level (unless you do something to keep him active, like making noise or keeping him in view). Here's why I believe this to be the case:

Spoiler below!
  • You can hear noises in the vents above you from the second you arrive in the level, but these noises are audible even when Akers is already walking around on the floor, so they can't be related to him.
  • There are no openings or hatches on the vents in any of the rooms from which he "escapes", for instance the medical bay and the conference room (and there doesn't appear to be any indication of such when you look at the map in the Level Editor).
  • If you lock him in a room, then make sure to keep him "active" by periodically throwing stuff at the door to piss him off or to make him curious, he doesn't "escape" and remains in the room for as long as you want to keep him there. I also tried throwing stuff down the corridor (still within earshot of Akers) to see if that would make him wanna escape and investigate, but he still remained in the room.
  • When you update the chip and are making your way back to the elevator with Akers locked in one of the rooms, you will cause the chase music to trigger and the monster's screaming to start without him actually being able to get to you, assuming you made sure to keep him "active" as I said before. If he was able to escape, surely he'd do it then.
I think Akers escaping the room is a bug/oversight. If it's not a bug, and this is his intended behaviour, I think FG needs a swift kick in the bollocks for it Cool

11-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

Well, I finally plucked up the courage to explore Yoshida's territory at Tau (the only part of the game that still scares me). There's not much, except that when you call the infirmary, Sarah Lindwall says, "Not in the mood to talk to robots. No offense."
11-14-2015, 03:36 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(11-14-2015, 03:36 PM)GhylTarvoke Wrote: Well, I finally plucked up the courage to explore Yoshida's territory at Tau (the only part of the game that still scares me). There's not much, except that when you call the infirmary, Sarah Lindwall says, "Not in the mood to talk to robots. No offense."

It'a not that difficult to find though, most of the players encounter this part as a normal part of the gameplay.

This forum is dead
11-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Oh, okay. Guess I was more chicken than most players.
11-14-2015, 04:12 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Not sure where those statistics are pulled out from, because I did not encounter it either, so I'm not sure if I'm part of the minority or that most people tend to think that what they did themselves is within the majority.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2015, 05:02 PM by Mudbill.)
11-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Find
Sleepbug Offline

Threads: 4

This isn't really something that is "omfg supa secret!!!" or anything like that, but it is a weird little detail. Under the bathroom sink in Simon's apartment there is what appears to be a bottle of shampoo that you can't interact with at all.

It's just strange.

Are You Still In There? Am I Still Here?
11-17-2015, 01:47 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Simon's apartment is so well-made. The running water, the fridge, the frosted glass window, the sound the shower curtain makes, the rolled-up tube of toothpaste, the light switches, the dog barking outside... I could go on and on.
11-17-2015, 02:25 AM
Find
Sleepbug Offline

Threads: 4

Some more stuff found in Simon's apartment:
On the back of the Massive Recoil box part of the small text says it's produced by "Some Company Inc."
The text on the tracer fluid bottle says Simon is 27, which actually doesn't match either of his birthdates mentioned in game. Guess we'll never figure out his real birthdate.

Not an in-game finding but still pretty neat: in SOMA\music\00_00 a file named "00_00_ringtone" can be found, which is a portion of the Penumbra tech demo theme modified as... well... a ringtone.

Are You Still In There? Am I Still Here?
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2015, 02:56 AM by Sleepbug.)
11-17-2015, 03:14 AM
Find
AurosAerondo Offline

Threads: 0

A bit late to post, but, on my playthru. this part seriously kills a part of the story. Don't know to put this on bug or things you may not notice.

Spoiler below!
At the end of the tunnel where ARK was transferred from Tau to Phi, where you met the wreckage and corpse of Neil Tsiolkovsky, there is a way to go thru the wreckage above the corpse by taking a long steel and rotate it so it made a diagonal way for you to jump over. beyond you will find yourself under the tunnel. (Don't know how you just suddenly fall down here). you could either crouch all the way under the tunnel for quite faraway and met up with a dead end, or there is a way out here where you will be in the large area (which is the area you are being chased by the giant gulper which hasn't occur yet.) If you go to site Alpha from here, all the chat between Simon and Ross will be skipped and you will be skipped to the cutscene where Ross is being eaten alive by the gulper. And you will never know what happened, what did Ross want you to do, What is the monstrosity in the middle of Alpha, etc

Luckily there are lots of LPs where I could get a grip on what happened there
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2015, 05:27 PM by AurosAerondo.)
12-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Find