Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

About using the item slots
Hanamgi Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago About using the item slots

Hi, I just started playing penubra again because I discovered that hearing no morse code wasn't due to my deafness XD
Thing is, since I remember, the 1-9 item slots in the menu never worked for me.
I place the items there, then close the menu, press the corresponding number but nothing happens Confused
Same for the holster-unholster option.
Playing with the mac patch that resolved the crashing problems on a Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.8

Thanks, as soon as I manage to continue this adventure I'll decide if it would be wise to buy Amnesia since it looks so scary ç_ç
02-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: About using the item slots

What keyboard layout are you using?

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Website Find
Hanamgi Offline

Italian-PRO, QWERTY.
02-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Hmm.. Do you have to press a modifier key to get the #s on the top row keys??

Basically there is a known issue with SDL where if you have to press some modifier key (Alt or Meta) to get the number on the top row then the game won't recognize the key. So to fix is you have to run the game in a US QWERTY layout where the top row is numbers without a modifier.

02-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Website Find
Hanamgi Offline

(02-26-2010, 11:35 PM)Urkle Wrote: Hmm.. Do you have to press a modifier key to get the #s on the top row keys??

Basically there is a known issue with SDL where if you have to press some modifier key (Alt or Meta) to get the number on the top row then the game won't recognize the key. So to fix is you have to run the game in a US QWERTY layout where the top row is numbers without a modifier.

No I don't have to press any modifier to type the numbers, and they work in other games. IDK should I look for some special files that might be missing? Because before you made the patch I used to delete a certain file from the directory (or whatever it's called I don't remember anymore and am no expert in such things XD) in order to prevent the game from crashing.
Thanks!
02-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

there should be no file that would affect the working/non-working of the number keys.. the only reported issue I have for number keys not working is caused by non qwerty layouts..

Now, a possibility is that your settings.cfg got corrupted and "lost" the keymapping. Try deleting the setting.cfg file in your ~/.frictionalgames/Penumbra/Overture directory. This will cause the game to generate a fresh one using the default_settings.cfg file located in the game config directory.

Wait you are using a Mac.. that's the Library/Preferences/Frictional Games/Penumbra/Overture directory Smile

02-27-2010, 05:17 AM
Website Find