Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Sanity system
Akong Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Sanity system

Sanity sound effects would be awesome. Sound was already a big deal in Penumbra. Not knowing if the sounds are real will be really freaky.
02-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Find
gbee Offline

Does anyone remember the nightmare level from the original Max Payne? I'm not entirely sure it's relevant to this thread, other than I was reminded of it reading the earlier posts. To this day, I still rate that as one of the all-time great ideas in a game. The claustrophobia of the walls closing in, the perspective tricks that made you question what was real, the constant sound of a baby crying always close at hand yet always just out of reach etc You were driven forward into the nightmare not because you were being pursued but because in a strange way, even knowing the baby wasn't real, you wanted to try and save it anyway. A carrot instead of the stick Smile

Of course in Max Payne it was the map, the hallway really did narrow even if the perspective tricks made it look normal from a distance. If Amnesia is using a 'sanity meter' then it can't rely on physical environment tricks like that, or can it?
03-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Find
Akong Offline

That really was a great scene. Probably the one that sticks in most people's minds after they have played the game. Of course, crying babies are always creepy.

It would be extremely cool if Amnesia could use perspective in their sanity effects. I mean, they probably already do to some extent but, as you mentioned, the walls closing in on you would be a very cool effect. Claustrophobia was a big theme in Penumbra. The feeling of being alone and trapped, which the walls caving in on you would illustrate very well.
03-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Find
Yithian Offline

It is interesting to note that mental disorders are very important element of narrative in stories of H. P. Lovecraft. His father suffered from General paresis of the insane. And he himself had suffered from several nervous breakdowns. He was even suicidal .... Neurodevelopmental and psychiatric illnesses, such as schizophrenia, or other psychotic and dissociative disorders are noticeable thing in horror fiction. It is a pity that the sanity systems appeared only in games such as Call of Cthulhu and the upcoming Amnesia .... Horror, the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares, is never truly healed.
03-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Find
dreadi Offline

Threads: 0

I really liked the idea of deceptive perceptions in Black Plague but sadly it wasn't used to its full potential. I'm glad to see that the devs have taken the idea a few steps further in Amnesia. I would like to see it be a key element in the gameplay and hopefully not only in heavily scripted events.
03-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Find
SaHeMeRa Offline

About the walls closing in idea, It sounds great and would most certainly illustrate claustrophobia as gbee proposed, but the walls slowly inching the way towards the player, why wouldn't the player thiink of it as a gameplay mechanic trying to run out of the corridors that seem to want to eat him skipping the story as he runs through the closing walls.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2010, 03:08 PM by !!!!aadida.)
03-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Find
TeleProd Offline

(03-07-2010, 03:07 PM)SaHeMeRa Wrote: About the walls closing in idea, It sounds great and would most certainly illustrate claustrophobia as gbee proposed, but the walls slowly inching the way towards the player, why wouldn't the player thiink of it as a gameplay mechanic trying to run out of the corridors that seem to want to eat him skipping the story as he runs through the closing walls.

Why can't sanity effects be gameplay mechanics? It would possibly make them more impactful and central. A mechanic where walls are closing in can be crafted (or scripted) in a way that it would be purposeful and wouldn't need skipping the story. I obviously cannot tell what works in Amnesia or other games because I am not developing them. I do, however, want to see more games explore and experiment with sanity and its effects.
03-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Find
Yithian Offline

I know the feeling when you are placed in a psychiatric hospital, when you marked as disturbed case. I know very well intolerable emotions that brings mental disorders. This is just one of the reasons for which I am interest in this matter. I am glad that I can still find some time and rest of mood for some fruitful stories in independent games. Because, I am really casual player ....
03-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Find