Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Series Ending Discussion (spoilers)
PerfectBlue Offline

Threads: 12
Penumbra Series Ending Discussion (spoilers)

The final room Phillip enters seems to be illusionary, another test the tuurngait had prepared for our protagonist.

Now there is an interesting dichotomy here. Howard went through the same tests and he tried to burn all evidence of the tuurngait as seen in the opening of Overture. This is what the hivemind requests in the end, to be left alone. Howard complies by requesting Phillip to destroy the evidence.

However, once Phillip is presented with the same choices as his father, he instead, betrays the hivemind and lies ordering the receiver of his email to "kill them all".

So my interpretation is in the end Phillip failed the test, not embracing the peaceful offer the tuurngait had offered, and thus killed. What is your interpretation?
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2010, 12:36 AM by Joy Dragon.)
03-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Find
Akong Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Penumbra Series Ending Discussion (spoilers)

Pretty much. It was an incredible ending and it really left you pondering who the good guys really were. You've been playing a lost soul who happened upon terrible things. So many terrible things actually, that in the end it clouds his judgment and basically dooms another person to the same fate that he had to suffer.

That line: "Kill them all" sent chills down my spine. You'd expect him to turn around after he had been taught a lesson from the Tuurngait, when he found out that they weren't actually the bad guys, they were just trying to survive, but instead, because of all the torment they have put him through, he can't possibly let them live. It's a completely selfish decision, and it makes you think if you would have done the same.
03-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Find
PerfectBlue Offline

Threads: 12

I realize this thread has aged; however, I would still like some additional opinions on the series ending. If anyone else would contribute it would be appreciated.
06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Find
Peanuckle Offline

Threads: 4

I agree with the decision to destroy the Tuurngait. The hive mind tells you that it infected and "helped" key people in humanity's history, so why should it decide to remain isolated now? A hive mind can't exist without hosts, so the Tuurngait must constantly search for new people to infect or else perish. When the researchers cracked the tomb open, the virus was more than happy to infect everything and destroy any survivors. Why should it be so hostile to people who merely want to understand it?

Another reason I agree with Philip's choice is that despite your father fulfilling his end of the agreement, he still ends up dead. Did the Tuurngait kill him or did he commit suicide? Shouldn't the Tuurngait have helped him escape the facility after he sent the message?

The hive mind claims that humanity is the invader. However, we developed on this world naturally, whereas the Tuurngait virus arrived on a meteor or something like that.

I wonder who Philip sends the message to.
06-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Find
naturon Offline

Threads: 1

(06-29-2010, 02:23 AM)Peanuckle Wrote: I agree with the decision to destroy the Tuurngait. The hive mind tells you that it infected and "helped" key people in humanity's history, so why should it decide to remain isolated now? A hive mind can't exist without hosts, so the Tuurngait must constantly search for new people to infect or else perish. When the researchers cracked the tomb open, the virus was more than happy to infect everything and destroy any survivors. Why should it be so hostile to people who merely want to understand it?

Another reason I agree with Philip's choice is that despite your father fulfilling his end of the agreement, he still ends up dead. Did the Tuurngait kill him or did he commit suicide? Shouldn't the Tuurngait have helped him escape the facility after he sent the message?

The hive mind claims that humanity is the invader. However, we developed on this world naturally, whereas the Tuurngait virus arrived on a meteor or something like that.

I think it may be the linguistics professor who was mentioned in the beginning of Overture. I think Phillip said they were good friends.
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

This is what the hivemind said:

"I am relieved mankind, in a being such as you, selfisheness would be catastrophic.
You have shown that you can think higher then it's vision. And for this reason, I shall reveal
to you, what which I revealed to Howard.

I came here to this place, many years ago. Before mankind was even outright. As aeons came
and went, mankind appeared around me, and found names for me: Demon, Spirit, Tuurngait.

We existed in harmony, for much time. I lie in doorment, within what you refer to as: The infected.
And they, benefeting from my knowledge and protection.

But mankind changed, and I fled. So much power in mankind, so many questions. And yet without the
intelligence to answer them.

Mankind grows, and tries to form a whole, a community. But somehow, it becomes more dangerous.

More angry, and with no direction for this anger, despite itself and its world.

And then, I was discovered. Mankind created this place to find me, and silence me. They tore open
my resting place. And said about destroying me. And I, with no form of defense, was forced to attack.
I am not the barbarian, I am not the invader, you are!

But you mankind, you are different. You have proved this. And now I ask for your mercy. Do not allow
me to be destroyed by your kind. Wich they would surely do. They followed the inuite here, and you
followed them.

There will be more. Will you send word, will you destroy all trace of this place, so that no mankind
will ever discover me again? Will you do this, for me?"

After all they had put Phillip through, he wants his friend to kill them all.
This is what tuurngait means in inuit mythology:

Some spirits were by nature unconnected to physical bodies. These figures were called tuurngait (also tornait, tornat, tornrait, singular tuurngaq, torngak, tornrak, tarngek). Some were helping spirits that could be called upon in times of need. Some were evil and monstrous, responsible for bad hunts and broken tools. They could also possess humans, as recounted in the story of Atanarjuat. An angakkuq with good intentions could use them to heal sickness, and find animals to hunt and feed the community. He or she could fight or exorcise bad tuurngait, or they could be held at bay by rituals; However, an angakkuq with harmful intentions could also use "tuurngait" for their own personal gain, or to attack other people and their tuurngait.
Though once Tuurngaq simply meant "helping spirit", it has, with Christianisation, taken on the meaning of demon in the Christian belief system.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2010, 01:43 PM by Gunslingerjh.)
08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Find
mayman12331 Offline

Threads: 0

(06-29-2010, 01:05 PM)naturon Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 02:23 AM)Peanuckle Wrote: I agree with the decision to destroy the Tuurngait. The hive mind tells you that it infected and "helped" key people in humanity's history, so why should it decide to remain isolated now? A hive mind can't exist without hosts, so the Tuurngait must constantly search for new people to infect or else perish. When the researchers cracked the tomb open, the virus was more than happy to infect everything and destroy any survivors. Why should it be so hostile to people who merely want to understand it?

I think it may be the linguistics professor who was mentioned in the beginning of Overture. I think Phillip said they were good friends.

It's a good idea with the linguistic professor.But what when the linguistic professor tells around all about the tuurngait and the claim...

I think Howard and Philip were such test bunnys and the tuurngait was only playing with them because:

When Philips friend destroy the claim, i think the Tuurngait will die...

And the Tuurngait said nothing about the death of your father...

also a ground can be that Penumbra:Requiem begins with the scene that anyone is knocking you out of behind...

I can't wait for Requiem Tongue
09-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Find
Quakeman224 Offline

Threads: 2

Everyone will hate what I will say.

I love Penumbra indepth story. However at the end of Oveture I felt lost. Overture felt more like a prologue, It didn't show the whole story until Black Plague. That shows what Howard was discovery and what Phillip fell into. It was impressive and very deep. Plus in Overture, Red was the best memoriable character ever. I cried just to see him died after all he has helped you in that dark depths of that mine. Black Plague made a more better Ending with more clues towards Why this facilty was here. What was going on. And why did anyone have to discovered this.

Requim I thought would answer those question........it did not. Requim to me did abosulty nothing to embraces more of Penumbra's World. instead we go into weird worlds and puzzle solving with no purpose, only to find out we kill ourselves with Red. Was it sanity? Did Phillip go insane? And nothing else was explain afterwards. I think it should have more information then ending it like that. I was so disappointed with Requim. Oveture was great and Black Plague was Way better.......then Requim made me scratch my head and make me confused. That Fear when I was playing the other two simply wasn't there. It was good......but was missing major story elements after finishing Black Plague. Who was the letter too, why did Phillip undergo these trips. and so on. Question that I will never have answered. And they need to be.
09-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Website Find
mayman12331 Offline

Threads: 0

at the end of requiem you don't have to die.You have the choice to die and be together with Red, or you can go out of this nightmare alive.
09-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Find
Quakeman224 Offline

Threads: 2

(09-09-2010, 01:11 AM)mayman12331 Wrote: at the end of requiem you don't have to die.You have the choice to die and be together with Red, or you can go out of this nightmare alive.

WHAT?! you CAN leave? thats odd....It didn't let me last time....
09-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Website Find