Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Future official DLC for SOMA?
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23
Future official DLC for SOMA?

I've been wondering if SOMA will be getting some form of official DLC for the game some point in the future. I think there is a lot of potential to add new content to SOMA's universe that can add or explain some of the things featured in the main game. Maybe even take the feedback you've asked for and put it into some expansion for SOMA?

Just wanted to ask, have you been up to things for SOMA, Frictional Games?

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
12-11-2015, 01:56 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Future official DLC for SOMA?

There is already been few threads regarding the subj. Most of the people agree the DLC is inevitable.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
12-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4

I'm 50/50 on whether or not there will be any dlc for this game. Here are my reasons.

FOR:

Big open world with LOTS of characters that you can work on.
Much of the story is told before the events of SOMA. You can work on any of these for a decent story.
Game has been left somewhat open ended. Another open for a story/dlc there.

AGAINST:

Frictional games is a small team. DLC would take some time to produce, which would take away from any future projects.
DLC costs money to make. Will DLC be made only after the main game has made a decent profit (yes, dlc could already be underway, but I'm going on that it isn't)
Besides Justine, Frictional haven't been in the business of making dlc for their games. Usually it's the finished product and then up to the community to continue the life of a game after they've finished.
12-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(12-11-2015, 02:13 PM)MrSteve Wrote: Besides Justine, Frictional haven't been in the business of making dlc for their games.
They have never been in that business at all, as Justine was free. It was promised if the sales of TDD were acceptable, and it turned out they were. My only hope is that although SOMA has less hype than TDD, its figures will be good as well...
12-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Oooh. I didn't know it was promised as a result of TDD sales. Very interesting to know. Thanks.

I too hope SOMA did well. Did it cost more than TDD?

I guess we'll find a sales figure at some point in the future.
12-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

In the Whispers in the Dark Ep. 88 podcast at around 10:00, Thomas says they don't know yet if they will continue with SOMA.
12-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Find
Striker Offline

Thumbs Up  RE: Future official DLC for SOMA?

(12-15-2015, 10:48 PM)Chrysler Wrote: In the Whispers in the Dark Ep. 88 podcast at around 10:00, Thomas says they don't know yet if they will continue with SOMA.

Thanks, I listened to the whole thing, very enjoyable
12-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Find
RMJ Offline

To me to seems like DLC / expansion would be awesome for 2 major reason. It takes time to create assets and it takes time to set up a new story universe.

They have those now. Sure they will need some new assets still, but they have the general art style / setting nailed and they have the world in which to set it.

This is the major reason why Expansion packs become so popular back in the day, because they were easy to create, and just before a dev team was done with their game, that was at which point they were the most efficient with their tools.

I also seem to recall Soma having sold 100.000 or so copies. They needed 300.000 to recoup their entire investment i believe i read. If there is one way to sell not just DLC but also more copies of the main game and bring it back into people's focus, its with new DLC or expansion.

I think the game offers 2 major plot points regarding which to start a DLC story and make it more of the same, but still with a new twist.
12-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Find
Amnesia Gamer Offline

Threads: 1

I agree with MrSteve. There are much theme and people on which realize a possible DLC.

[Image: C1A63EC87DC0F3EF394264D7A9935357A482ED1B]
12-31-2015, 12:04 PM
Find
Striker Offline

Yah the storyline possibilities here are endless

Someone mentioned another Pathos site that could potentially be operational

Also everyone loves Akers. You could make a whole storyline just for him.

Netflix just did it with 100 Eyes from Marco Polo. Everyone loves this dude.
01-01-2016, 03:01 AM
Find