Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Spoiler Star Wars Discussion Thread
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Star Wars Discussion Thread

Discuss anything Star Wars related here.

Only rule we have for now is if you're talking about Star Wars: The Force Awakens' plot or other sensitive information, please use some wonderful spoiler tags in case others were unable to cash in on the pre-ticket sales.

[spoiler]Insert your stuff here.[/spoiler]

Some things to get the ball going:
  • What did you guys think of the recent film?
  • Was it what you were expecting?
  • How does it compare to the other six prequels?

Feel free to also include other Star Wars media. The idea is to be a central hub for discussion so that in the recent hype, there won't be talk amongst multiple threads that may have to be edited or removed.

Remember to be respectful!

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
12-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Find
Danarogon AP Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Star Wars Discussion Thread

I liked it, extremely better than the prequels and stands firm as a movie ignoring the previous trilogy. The characters were funny, likable, meanacing and human. The story was a bit meh though.

Spoiler below!
A third Death Star? Really? And supreme commander Snoke? Everything about this guy rubbed me the wrong for the wrong reasons. Revealing the new villain felt rushed, he is CGI when he didn't have to be the reveal scene felt odd as he looked like a messed up giant when we see him for the first time, having no clue it was an hologram at first. Not to mention his ridiculous name.

Kylo Ren was a cool character though.

Asides from that. Good movie.

12-18-2015, 07:11 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

12-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(12-18-2015, 07:11 PM)Danarogon AP Wrote: I liked it, extremely better than the prequels and stands firm as a movie ignoring the previous trilogy. The characters were funny, likable, meanacing and human. The story was a bit meh though.

Spoiler below!
A third Death Star? Really? And supreme commander Snoke? Everything about this guy rubbed me the wrong for the wrong reasons. Revealing the new villain felt rushed, he is CGI when he didn't have to be the reveal scene felt odd as he looked like a messed up giant when we see him for the first time, having no clue it was an hologram at first. Not to mention his ridiculous name.

Kylo Ren was a cool character though.

Asides from that. Good movie.

Spoiler below!
Supreme Commander Snoke's design disappoints me. He just looked like a CGI Pope Palpatine,the fact that he isn't a proper "alien" annoys me like come on not every sith user is just some human in dark clothes, that's actually one thing I liked about the prequels, there was more races other than humans using the force like Darth Maul and Jar-Jar.(You know what I mean) . Hopefully it's a hologram but if it inst I think it would be really stupid if you asked me but I really enjoyed the movie and I would see it again.

Besides Force Awakens: Does anyone else feel that Attack Of The Clones is actually worse than Phantom Menace? Because I do.
12-18-2015, 08:13 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

I didn't like it.

Spoiler below!

How the 4th episode ends: They blow up the Death Star.
How the 6th episode ends: They blow up the Death Star.
How the 7th episode ends: They blow up a bigger Death Star.

Yeee, they have some innovative people on the dark side.

BUT, my biggest issue is the fucking villain. He's a fucking teen on a power trip with a grandpa-complex. Remember how Vader was menacing and seemed unbeatable by the end of Ep4? Remember how this villain, with jedi/sith training, got his ass handed to him by someone who just found out she had the force (who by the way can jedi mind trick like crazy, better than Obi-wan or Qui-gon.)? The dark side doesn't seem that powerful. They seem to be in more of an underdog position than rulers.

Isn't it generally viewed that Attack of the Clones is the worst?

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015, 10:57 PM by i3670.)
12-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Find
Danarogon AP Offline

Threads: 4

(12-18-2015, 10:56 PM)i3670 Wrote: I didn't like it.

Spoiler below!

How the 4th episode ends: They blow up the Death Star.
How the 6th episode ends: They blow up the Death Star.
How the 7th episode ends: They blow up a bigger Death Star.

Yeee, they have some innovative people on the dark side.

BUT, my biggest issue is the fucking villain. He's a fucking teen on a power trip with a grandpa-complex. Remember how Vader was menacing and seemed unbeatable by the end of Ep4? Remember how this villain, with jedi/sith training, got his ass handed to him by someone who just found out she had the force (who by the way can jedi mind trick like crazy, better than Obi-wan or Qui-gon.)? The dark side doesn't seem that powerful. They seem to be in more of an underdog position than rulers.

Isn't it generally viewed that Attack of the Clones is the worst?

Spoiler below!
I find it funny how you disliked the repeated death star plot, but you wanted the villain to be a Darth Vader 2.0.

Darth Vader was menacing but don't pretend he didn't have his ridiculous / awkward moments. Such as the first light-saber battle, his inability to bend his neck and arms up, and that scene where he was spinning around in his ship in episode 1 (The prequels don't exist to me.)

I actually liked what they did with Kylo Ren, he is human, and extremely unnerving, every time he was on screen, he seemed he was about to snap and kill someone if they said something he didn't like to hear. Much like Darth Vader, though this time Ren is a far younger, and more unpredictable character. He seemed pretty bad-ass to me as well, the guy pulled a neo stopping bullets with his mind thing, mind fucked strong willed people, killed or severely hurt beloved characters. Him being beaten was just a bit of pay back for the viewer rather than a logical thing (though if you want to be logical... The dude got shot and was bleeding pretty bad, I doubt that didn't affect his performance)

The Only villain I didn't like was Snoke, because:

1. Ridiculous name for starters.

2. Unnecessary CGI, I mean, he is just a scarred old dude, couldn't they just find some actor and paint his face or something?

3. The Hologram is freaking huge and didn't look like an hologram at all, so it looked like the new Empire was being led by someone who crawled down Jack's Beanstalk.

4. The fact he was already revealed. In the first star wars we didn't even get to see the Emperor, we only heard what Darth Vader reported about him, only on the second movie do we get a glimpse of him, though very short. So rushing him this soon kinda takes away what could have been a cool reveal.

5. The guy didn't even seem like a leader, he looked more like a servant of someone even higher than him. So unless if in future movies they reveal that is the actual case, I'd say I was disappointed by what could have been a very cool main villain.

Oh and nope, The hatred for the prequels is very much focused on the Phantom Manace. But I personally find both equally terrible. They the source for Mr Plinkett's Star Wars prequels review series though, which are still one of my favorite sources of entertainment.

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2015, 01:18 AM by Danarogon AP.)
12-19-2015, 01:06 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Spoiler below!

Okay, view it like this. Darth Vader is defeated in Ep4 by Obi-wan but saved by Deus Ex Machina. Darth Vader is defeated in Ep5 by Luke but saved... Darth Vader is eventually really defeated in Ep6. The Ep6 defeat will be significantly less rewarding to witness because you've seen this guy get beat 2 times already. However, I don't think this'll happen to Mr. I-wish-I-was-Vader, they'll probably join up and go super-saiyan against Mr Snoke because Light side.

Why is funny that I want something else than a death star plot? Why is it funny that I want a better villain than a mopey teen? For example a more charismatic villain that speaks reason and you could actually be convinced into joining.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
12-19-2015, 02:11 AM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(12-19-2015, 01:06 AM)Danarogon AP Wrote: Oh and nope, The hatred for the prequels is very much focused on the Phantom Manace. But I personally find both equally terrible. They the source for Mr Plinkett's Star Wars prequels review series though, which are still one of my favorite sources of entertainment.
At least some stuff actually happened in Phantom Menace, it had that awesome fight scene and Duel Of The Fates is an awesome score and the pod race is some good fun. Phantom Menace is no means a good film but Attack Of The Clones did nothing and for me and it is completely forgettable expect for the "I Hate Sand" speech for the wrong reason and it did nothing for me even when I was a child I would prefer to watch PM,ROS and the original trilogy because stuff happened in them.

(12-19-2015, 02:11 AM)i3670 Wrote:
Spoiler below!

Why is funny that I want something else than a death star plot? Why is it funny that I want a better villain than a mopey teen? For example a more charismatic villain that speaks reason and you could actually be convinced into joining.

Spoiler below!
Well I'm just thankful that that mopy teen is not played by Hayden Christensen anymore and doesn't have to read corny line after corny line. Can you really have a villain that can convince you into joining a army regime that has a weapon that blows up star systems that they don't like and bent on restoring an fascist government?

12-19-2015, 03:47 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Spoiler below!
I saw the movie yesterday and I have to say although I didn't think it was masterful it was incredibly enjoyable.

My biggest problem with the movie is that it feels all like one gigantic prologue as in the whole movie is build-up to the next chapter. I didn't see anything which really felt like amazing payoff that gave off a vibe of beginning, middle, and end. This is a significantly smaller problem if you accept that you have to view the whole sequel trilogy as one continuous story as opposed to three standalone segments which are connected by an over-arching story.

Also there were too many plot conveniences for my taste, with Han Solo happening to be the one to randomly pick up the Millennium Falcon, and Luke's lightsaber just happening to be in the basement of the place where Han Solo was asking for help being the main ones.

However onto the good stuff though: I absolutely LOVED Kylo Ren as the villain. Him being a mopey, whiny teenager with an inferiority complex was EXACTLY the reason I loved him so much. When he starts off he's built up to be this badass dark warrior but as time goes on you can see that he is constantly frustrated with everything because he secretly knows that he is not as awesome as everyone else believes or how strong he actually wants himself to be. Rey's appearance as another force wielder only amplifies this insecurity because it means his position is more threatened than ever. He even has to constantly try convincing himself that the dark side will make him stronger and solve his problems while making him more powerful. It makes him an extremely human villain and I love him for that.

Another further way to look at Kylo Ren's status is that he has likely been the only active force user for several years now. He KNOWS that his skills are not completely up to standard, but there has literally been no one in the galaxy to challenge his inferior skills as a force user so everyone just treats him like a badass when in actuality he's only seen as this strong because there are no others to be compared with. This also means that he is likely very rusty with his force user vs force user combat. I have a strong suspicion that Snoke never trained Kylo that much at all. All he did was give a bit of dark side talk and then send him off to do "bad things" because why bother any further if there's no force users to challenge him anyways? A person with stupidly low skill in a craft will still be number one when no one else knows the craft.

This is also likely the reason Rey was able to best Kylo Ren even with JUST her un-honed potential. I still take issue with Finn being able to last even five seconds against even a injured Kylo Ren though because all Finn was doing was the equivalent of flailing a stick around with no idea what he was doing.

Speaking of the ending, it was extremely entertaining. It was tight, exciting, and the fight was absolutely gritty. It felt real and I would've gladly paid the whole movie ticket just to see that ending fight.

Those are some of my more standout thoughts on the movie which while I did not enjoy as some other people did, I still loved immensely for the positives.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
12-23-2015, 07:11 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

WAS FUCKING WONDERFULL M'YEES <3
12-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Find